Resume video

Tikuf

Luke can we expose resume in the api?

I was just speaking to Red about detecting if a video was pausing while streaming we came up with the following..

If the client buffers the video locally then checks if the buffer is empty means video stream is not keeping up with play

The client could then check where in the video it was up to and request a new stream at a lower bitrate. By using ffmpeg to seek to the last known location using -ss

‘-ss position (input/output)’

When used as an input option (before -i), seeks in this input file to position. When used as an output option (before an output filename), decodes but discards input until the timestamps reach position. This is slower, but more accurate. Position may be either in seconds or in hh:mm:ss[.xxx] form.

So the new url would look something like

http://10.0.0.1:8096/mediabrowser/api/video?id=&outputformats=Webm&audiochannels=2&maxWidth=640&maxFramerate=18&startTime=00:40:35&quality=1

Yea resume will need to be added. I just haven't bothered yet because to my knowledge none of the ui developers are ready to utilize it yet.

Ah cool. Just thought it may be useful for them while they are writing stuff to know that if required stream can be changed mid stream.

Hey Tikuf,

I see there's finally a new build of ffmpeg out. Any chance you can give it a quick test and let me know if i should upgrade?

Also, what about that new hls stuff you said they added? Do you know if it's in the windows build yet? Thanks.

Sure will give it a whirl. Will also look if hls stuff is inc.

I assume you are talking (2012-10-20) from zeranoe?

I've added a StartTimeTicks query string param for the audio and video handlers. See Api Client for an example.

It's just for regular streaming at the moment, not hls.