Fedora/CentOS (RPM)

Luke

Hey there, 

first of all a big thanks and well done to everybody involved with Emby. In my opinion, among the best things, that ever happened to the HTPC world. 

The other reason I am writing here is the CentOS/Fedora Package. Emby is runnig under a different user and group on my server, and as advised in the /etc/default/emby-server.conf, I made my changes to /etc/emby-server.conf. Now with every update, of the 3.0.5724 package this file (/etc/emby-server.conf) got reset to blank. 

Is my setup to blame or did isn't this working as intended?

Thanks again 

My issue is when I install the new version I am told I don't have permission to run the script.  Top it when I run 'yum update' it tries to update files using by the installation that clearly are older version at install.

Dependencies Resolved

==========================================================================================================================================
 Package                          Arch                   Version                                          Repository                 Size
==========================================================================================================================================
Installing:
 emby-server                      noarch                 3.0.5724.4-261.1                                 home_emby                  14 M
Installing for dependencies:
 ImageMagick                      x86_64                 6.9.1-13.3                                       home_emby                 131 k
 ImageMagick-libs                 x86_64                 6.9.1-13.3                                       home_emby                 2.0 M
 libgdiplus0                      x86_64                 3.12-9.1                                         home_emby                 149 k
 libmediainfo                     x86_64                 0.7.76-1.el6                                     epel                      2.0 M
 mono-core                        x86_64                 4.0.3.20-3.1                                     home_emby                  16 M
 mono-data                        x86_64                 4.0.3.20-3.1                                     home_emby                 3.5 M
 mono-data-sqlite                 x86_64                 4.0.3.20-3.1                                     home_emby                  68 k
 mono-extras                      x86_64                 4.0.3.20-3.1                                     home_emby                 435 k
 mono-mvc                         x86_64                 4.0.3.20-3.1                                     home_emby                 458 k
 mono-wcf                         x86_64                 4.0.3.20-3.1                                     home_emby                 870 k
 mono-web                         x86_64                 4.0.3.20-3.1                                     home_emby                 2.0 M
 mono-winforms                    x86_64                 4.0.3.20-3.1                                     home_emby                 1.5 M
 mono-winfxcore                   x86_64                 4.0.3.20-3.1                                     home_emby                 275 k
 tinyxml2                         x86_64                 1.0.11-4.20130805git0323851.el6                  epel                       31 k

Transaction Summary
Install      15 Package(s)

Total download size: 43 M
Installed size: 156 M

Speciffically, ' tinyxml2' and 'libmediainfo' are not the most current versions.  Did I mention that it is not installing the latest version of emby either.  Clearly, stated in a recent post this version should be "emby server v3.0.5724.3-219.1". 

There are unfinished transactions remaining. You might consider running yum-complete-transaction first to finish them.
--> Running transaction check
---> Package tinyxml2.x86_64 0:1.0.11-4.20130805git0323851.el6 will be updated
--> Processing Dependency: libtinyxml2.so.1()(64bit) for package: libmediainfo-0.7.76-1.el6.x86_64
---> Package tinyxml2.x86_64 0:2.1.0-5.1 will be an update
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Package: libmediainfo-0.7.76-1.el6.x86_64 (@epel)
           Requires: libtinyxml2.so.1()(64bit)
           Removing: tinyxml2-1.0.11-4.20130805git0323851.el6.x86_64 (@epel)
               libtinyxml2.so.1()(64bit)
           Updated By: tinyxml2-2.1.0-5.1.x86_64 (home_emby)
               Not found
 You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
 You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

Now I complete removed my old version of emby and all emby files and dependancies.  I still get these errors on my server on a fresh install of emby.   I have no clue how to resolve this issue.  I am running CentOS 6 on my host.

Edited by rtterry

I tried to install the new version of emby after I manually update the outdated files but It didnt work.  This version of emby is using out dated files and if not able to run properly on version of CentOS that are fully updated to current versons of the dependant software.  This conflict is versions will make it hard for many people like me to run the new version of the script.   Does anyone know of a work around for this issue or do the developers plan to release an update that can actually use all current version and allow for directly download of the current release since the respository is push an out dated version for CentOS 6.  I am running on a 64bit version of CentOS so I can not use the 686i version of the dependancies.

[root@tmyhost ~]# yum install libmediainfo
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Setting up Install Process
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: mirrors.advancedhosters.com
 * epel: mirror.cogentco.com
 * extras: repo.dimenoc.com
 * livna: rpm.livna.org
 * rpmforge: mirror.teklinks.com
 * updates: mirror.ash.fastserv.com
 * webtatic: us-east.repo.webtatic.com
Resolving Dependencies
There are unfinished transactions remaining. You might consider running yum-complete-transaction first to finish them.
--> Running transaction check
---> Package libmediainfo.x86_64 0:0.7.76-1.el6 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: libtinyxml2.so.1()(64bit) for package: libmediainfo-0.7.76-1.el6.x86_64
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Package: libmediainfo-0.7.76-1.el6.x86_64 (epel)
           Requires: libtinyxml2.so.1()(64bit)
           Available: tinyxml2-1.0.11-4.20130805git0323851.el6.x86_64 (epel)
               libtinyxml2.so.1()(64bit)
           Installed: tinyxml2-2.1.0-5.1.x86_64 (@home_emby)
               Not found

Installed Packages
Name        : tinyxml2
Arch        : x86_64
Version     : 2.1.0
Release     : 5.1
Size        : 88 k
Repo        : installed
From repo   : home_emby
Summary     : Simple, small and efficient C++ XML parser
URL         : https://github.com/leethomason/tinyxml2
License     : zlib
Description : TinyXML-2 is a simple, small, efficient, C++ XML parser that can be
            : easily integrated into other programs. It uses a Document Object Model
            : (DOM), meaning the XML data is parsed into a C++ objects that can be
            : browsed and manipulated, and then written to disk or another output stream.
            :
            : TinyXML-2 doesn't parse or use DTDs (Document Type Definitions) nor XSLs
            : (eXtensible Stylesheet Language).
            :
            : TinyXML-2 uses a similar API to TinyXML-1, But the implementation of the
            : parser was completely re-written to make it more appropriate for use in a
            : game. It uses less memory, is faster, and uses far fewer memory allocations.

Available Packages
Name        : libmediainfo
Arch        : i686
Version     : 0.7.76
Release     : 1.el6
Size        : 2.1 M
Repo        : epel
Summary     : Library for supplies technical and tag information about a video or audio file
URL         : http://mediaarea.net/MediaInfo
License     : BSD
Description : This package contains the shared library for MediaInfo.
            : MediaInfo supplies technical and tag information about a video or
            : audio file.
            :
            : What information can I get from MediaInfo?
            : * General: title, author, director, album, track number, date, duration...
            : * Video: codec, aspect, fps, bitrate...
            : * Audio: codec, sample rate, channels, language, bitrate...
            : * Text: language of subtitle
            : * Chapters: number of chapters, list of chapters
            :
            : DivX, XviD, H263, H.263, H264, x264, ASP, AVC, iTunes, MPEG-1,
            : MPEG1, MPEG-2, MPEG2, MPEG-4, MPEG4, MP4, M4A, M4V, QuickTime,
            : RealVideo, RealAudio, RA, RM, MSMPEG4v1, MSMPEG4v2, MSMPEG4v3,
            : VOB, DVD, WMA, VMW, ASF, 3GP, 3GPP, 3GP2
            :
            : What format (container) does MediaInfo support?
            : * Video: MKV, OGM, AVI, DivX, WMV, QuickTime, Real, MPEG-1,
            :   MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DVD (VOB) (Codecs: DivX, XviD, MSMPEG4, ASP,
            :   H.264, AVC...)
            : * Audio: OGG, MP3, WAV, RA, AC3, DTS, AAC, M4A, AU, AIFF
            : * Subtitles: SRT, SSA, ASS, SAMI

Name        : libmediainfo
Arch        : x86_64
Version     : 0.7.76
Release     : 1.el6
Size        : 2.0 M
Summary     : Library for supplies technical and tag information about a video or audio file
URL         : http://mediaarea.net/MediaInfo
License     : BSD
Description : This package contains the shared library for MediaInfo.
            : MediaInfo supplies technical and tag information about a video or
            : audio file.
            :
            : What information can I get from MediaInfo?
            : * General: title, author, director, album, track number, date, duration...
            : * Video: codec, aspect, fps, bitrate...
            : * Audio: codec, sample rate, channels, language, bitrate...
            : * Text: language of subtitle
            : * Chapters: number of chapters, list of chapters
            :
            : DivX, XviD, H263, H.263, H264, x264, ASP, AVC, iTunes, MPEG-1,
            : MPEG1, MPEG-2, MPEG2, MPEG-4, MPEG4, MP4, M4A, M4V, QuickTime,
            : RealVideo, RealAudio, RA, RM, MSMPEG4v1, MSMPEG4v2, MSMPEG4v3,
            : VOB, DVD, WMA, VMW, ASF, 3GP, 3GPP, 3GP2
            :
            : What format (container) does MediaInfo support?
            : * Video: MKV, OGM, AVI, DivX, WMV, QuickTime, Real, MPEG-1,
            :   MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DVD (VOB) (Codecs: DivX, XviD, MSMPEG4, ASP,
            :   H.264, AVC...)
            : * Audio: OGG, MP3, WAV, RA, AC3, DTS, AAC, M4A, AU, AIFF
            : * Subtitles: SRT, SSA, ASS, SAMI

Name        : tinyxml2
Arch        : i686
Version     : 1.0.11
Release     : 4.20130805git0323851.el6
Size        : 32 k
Summary     : Simple, small and efficient C++ XML parser
URL         : https://github.com/leethomason/tinyxml2
License     : zlib
Description : TinyXML-2 is a simple, small, efficient, C++ XML parser that can be
            : easily integrated into other programs. It uses a Document Object Model
            : (DOM), meaning the XML data is parsed into a C++ objects that can be
            : browsed and manipulated, and then written to disk or another output stream.
            :
            : TinyXML-2 doesn't parse or use DTDs (Document Type Definitions) nor XSLs
            : (eXtensible Stylesheet Language).
            :
            : TinyXML-2 uses a similar API to TinyXML-1, But the implementation of the
            : parser was completely re-written to make it more appropriate for use in a
            : game. It uses less memory, is faster, and uses far fewer memory allocations.

Edited by rtterry

Had the same problem a few pages back. Solution is to install priority plugin and assign higher priority to emby repo than epel repo.

• Like 1

Had the same problem a few pages back. Solution is to install priority plugin and assign higher priority to emby repo than epel repo.

That actually fix my installation and allowed me to install the lastest version of emby on my host using the lastest version of the installed scripts. However, my host says I dont have permission to run the script.  So I would think this is an issue with the permission set during the install.

[root@myserverinfo ~]# service emby-server start

Starting emby-server daemon: emby-server is already running or you don't have enough privileges to start the service.

[FAILED]

I am positive the emby-server is not already running but I don't know the next step to get it running.  Changing the permissions of the file nor ownership from root resolve the issue.

Edited by rtterry

I was able to get the lastest version of emby recently updated via the repo but I am still not able to run server because it is still giving me the permission error.

Starting emby-server daemon: emby-server is already running or you don't have enough privileges to start the service.
                                                           [FAILED]

Does anyone have a solution for this issue?

Okay, so I contacted my Dedicated Server tech support about this issue and here is what they did to fix the issue and their description of what caused the issue.

Due to some unknown reason the PID file '/var/run/emby-server.pid' wasn't removing when the process is stopped. I believe this has happened due to a corrupted PID file. I had to remove it to fix the issue.

I hope this information help someone else that may have a simular issue.

Got it working on fedora 22 .. without epel-release because epel-release does not work on fedora 22
wget http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/Fedora_20/home:emby.repo -O /etc/yum.repos.d/emby.repo
dnf install emby-server

sudo rpm -ivh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm
sudo dnf install vlc

sudo dnf install gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-bad-free-extras gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-ffmpeg gstreamer1-libav gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-extras gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld gstreamer-plugins-base-tools gstreamer1-plugins-good-extras gstreamer1-plugins-ugly gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free gstreamer1-plugins-good gstreamer1-plugins-base gstreamer1

dnf install mono-winfxcore mono-data-sqlite mono-mvc mono-web mono-wcf mono-data mono-winforms mono-extras mono-core

And voila
systemctl start emby-server

Run Setup Wizard

Visit http://localhost:8096

Well it seems the permissions issue come back on reboot or re-start after the script has already been ran before.   It would seem that something happens while running that corrupts the PID file.

[FAILED]

It is very frustrating that this great platform is getting very little support to resolve issues with all the supported OSs.  Specifically, CentOS 6.x  and because of this I have decided to uninstall the server.   I was using it to stream movies to my TV for my daughter and was hurt by the disappointment on her face when after two weeks or so I was not able to fix the streaming device. 

Sadly, I had to move to a differen platform and I wonder how I would have felt if I had paid for the premiumn access and gotten the same poor support.  This new platform was a little tricky to install but very well documented and was very easy to install.  The updates are done from the dashboard and works very simular to Emby after the initial setup.  Sorry, Emby community but I have to move on to greener plains.

It is very frustrating that this great platform is getting very little support to resolve issues with all the supported OSs.  Specifically, CentOS 6.x  and because of this I have decided to uninstall the server.   I was using it to stream movies to my TV for my daughter and was hurt by the disappointment on her face when after two weeks or so I was not able to fix the streaming device. 

I apologize and I see the issues you've reported. If you look around the forum you can see we're generally extremely helpful. You started reporting your issues 4 days ago on the 13th. I realize that seems like a long time to you but sometimes there are tricky issues that do take a little time to resolve, and we often discuss privately about what needs to be changed in order to resolve it. It probably would have helped if we had at least followed up with you just so that you see that we're looking into it.

I apologize and I see the issues you've reported. If you look around the forum you can see we're generally extremely helpful. You started reporting your issues 4 days ago on the 13th. I realize that seems like a long time to you but sometimes there are tricky issues that do take a little time to resolve, and we often discuss privately about what needs to be changed in order to resolve it. It probably would have helped if we had at least followed up with you just so that you see that we're looking into it.

Communication is a major part of my reason for migrating.  I do a lot of dedicated server work and web development.  It is a major peice in the equation that I communicate with my users and clients.  So they know I am dedicated to providing them quality service.  As I mention it did not make it any better that I have a seven year old daughter asking everyday multiple times have I fixed it yet.  I spent hours searching site and web for a solution. So yes it seem like four years!  She will be happy in the AM that she can watch Big 6 and Frozen another 20 times on the big Screen.  While I have the peace of knowing she is watch kid safe programing. 

I hope you workout the kinks in your new release and contiue to build on your system.   Though, I lost some features on the new product, unless I pay for them it works and that is all that was important to me. Unlike Emby it the new version of the Roku app was not compatiable with my SD TV so I had to load a Classic version but that was simple enough.

I will note that another issue I ran into when I did have the host running was that my Roku 2 would connect to the host.  Then load all my movies from the library but when I tried to play a video from the TV streaming device it was close the playback and revert back to the play movie menu.  I figured that was cause it needed to be updated to work with the current version of the Emby app but it just wasnt working.  I could playback from the computer and mobile browser with no issue.

Hey there, 

first of all a big thanks and well done to everybody involved with Emby. In my opinion, among the best things, that ever happened to the HTPC world. 

The other reason I am writing here is the CentOS/Fedora Package. Emby is runnig under a different user and group on my server, and as advised in the /etc/default/emby-server.conf, I made my changes to /etc/emby-server.conf. Now with every update, of the 3.0.5724 package this file (/etc/emby-server.conf) got reset to blank. 

Is my setup to blame or did isn't this working as intended?

Thanks again 

It's not a setup problem, but a packaging issue that I will fix as soon as possible.

Thanks for reporting this problem.

Well it seems the permissions issue come back on reboot or re-start after the script has already been ran before.   It would seem that something happens while running that corrupts the PID file.

Did you check if the pid file existed when you tried to start the service?

If there is a pid file the service will not start since it will assume that Emby is already running.

I will review the script to see if there is anything that I missed.

It's not a setup problem, but a packaging issue that I will fix as soon as possible.

Thanks for reporting this problem.

@le.kiwi. I just fix the packages so the problem should be solved from now on. Next upgrade shouldn't overwrite your config file.

• Like 1

@le.kiwi. I just fix the packages so the problem should be solved from now on. Next upgrade shouldn't overwrite your config file.

Thank you very much. Worked like a charm.

• 3 weeks later...

After a couple of users reported "Out of Memory" problems with current CentOS packages, we decided to reduce the default mono nursery size from 512MB to 128MB.

This change is already applied in emby-server-dev and it will be included in the next beta and stable releases.

Just as a reminder, you can override the default configuration by defining new values in /etc/emby-server.conf  that is empty by default.

Cheers.

After a couple of users reported "Out of Memory" problems with current CentOS packages, we decided to reduce the default mono nursery size from 512MB to 128MB.

This change is already applied in emby-server-dev and it will be included in the next beta and stable releases.

Just as a reminder, you can override the default configuration by defining new values in /etc/emby-server.conf  that is empty by default.

Cheers.

With the new beta release available, this default configuration change is also applied to beta.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks

dcrdev

Hi - first time posting here, I'd like to say that emby looks absolutely brilliant - I installed plex the other day on my home server and didn't like it because it relies heavily on the web services provided by plex i.e. it's not entirely self hosted. Then I came across emby which is entirely self hosted, has live tv support and integrated with Kodi very well - it ticks all the boxes for me.

But then I came across a problem, there are no packages available for Fedora 22 which is what my server is running (the Server Edition). Now I think I'm competent enough to make it work, but I don't want to be constantly fixing things with every update; so for now I've not tried to install it.

So my question is will emby continue to support Fedora, or has support died off? If the former is there any chance that emby can be made to work with the rpmfusion repos instead of epel (as epel isn't for Fedora) - from looking I believe that almost all the dependencies are available in rpmfusion.

I'd be willing to help but whilst I'm competent in C# (on Windows) and (separately) packaging on Linux, I have no experience with mono.

Thanks

There are people in the forum that managed to install Emby on Fedora 22.

Just search around.

We are planning to support Fedora 22, and we do provide packages in our repo but we didn't have time to test the F22 packages yet and come up with the correct installation instructions.

As a side comment, if you are planning to use Emby on a stand-alone server/vm I would encourage you to switch to CentOS 7.

Fedora is a fast moving target distro. They release a new version every few months and they only support current and previous releases, meaning for instance that since Fedora 22 release, Fedora 20 is not maintained anymore, not even for security updates.

On the other hand, CentOS is based on RHEL which is a far more stable distro with long term support.

Just my two cents.

dcrdev

Yeah I appreciate the stability that comes with CentOS, but unfortunately my server serves multiple purposes and some of the software I run requires newer libraries as dependencies. Also with the new server edition of Fedora, I think more and more people will be using it as a server platform. Believe me though I would use CentOS if I could!

Fedora 23 comes out next Tuesday and with it Fedora 21 will reach the end of it's life - currently that's the only version you support?

As I mentioned in my post, I know I could get it to work - but currently it's not as clear cut as installing a package i.e. I don't want to rely on something that'll likely break all the time. I'd prefer to wait for an officially supported solution.

When you mention that there are F22 packages, but you haven't had time to test them - that seems to have been the case for quite a while? That's not a criticism - I really appreciate the work done by open source project, but surely there are people who'd be willing to help test such packages...

I for one would - is this the F22 repo you speak of: ?

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/Fedora_22/home:emby.repo

Edited by dcrdev

Yeah I appreciate the stability that comes with CentOS, but unfortunately my server serves multiple purposes and some of the software I run requires newer libraries as dependencies. Also with the new server edition of Fedora, I think more and more people will be using it as a server platform. Believe me though I would use CentOS if I could!

Fedora 23 comes out next Tuesday and with it Fedora 21 will reach the end of it's life - currently that's the only version you support?

As I mentioned in my post, I know I could get it to work - but currently it's not as clear cut as installing a package i.e. I don't want to rely on something that'll likely break all the time. I'd prefer to wait for an officially supported solution.

When you mention that there are F22 packages, but you haven't had time to test them - that seems to have been the case since last year? That's not a criticism - I really appreciate the work done by open source project, but surely there are people who'd be willing to help test such packages...

Yes indeed that's the repo.

Regarding F22 packages, they are as stable as any other Emby official packages it's just that we didn't test the installation steps which based on some other users experience seems different from F21.

That's all.

Feel free to try F22 Emby packages and if you have problems with the installation (use F21 installation instructions from Emby website as a guidance -ommit the epel part and use rpmfusion instead-) you can search this forum and if you don't find the correct answers just post here, we will try to help.

With some luck we will end up with the official installation steps for F22 that will be published in Emby website.

Also check this: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/25865-fedora-22-support/&do=findComment&comment=254687

Edited by fc7

When you mention that there are F22 packages, but you haven't had time to test them - that seems to have been the case for quite a while? That's not a criticism - I really appreciate the work done by open source project, but surely there are people who'd be willing to help test such packages...

We have tested F22 packages and after a minor change in the package it will install without problems. Just follow the instructions on Emby site.

All you need to add to your setup is our repo. EPEL nor RPMFusion are needed at all in F22.

Enjoy

Edited by fc7

@Fedora users IMPORTANT: from now on we will do our best to follow Fedora release cycle regarding Emby packages support. We will try to provide new packages as soon as the latest Fedora version is out there but at the same time we will only maintain packages for current Fedora version and the previous release.
For example: right now F22 is the latest Fedora release and we provide packages for F22 and F21. As soon as F23 is realeased and F21 enters end of life (EOL) we will provide packages for F23 and F22, but we will stop proving packages for 21.

If you want to run Emby on any Fedora release that is already EOL (F20 and older releases as of today) you can use our official Docker container.

dcrdev

Trying to install this on a CentOS 7.1 system now, I get the following errors:

Error: Package: python-pillow-2.0.0-17.gitd1c6db8.el7.x86_64 (@base)
           Requires: libwebp.so.4()(64bit)
           Removing: libwebp-0.3.0-3.el7.x86_64 (@base)
               libwebp.so.4()(64bit)
           Updated By: libwebp-0.4.3-9.3.x86_64 (home_emby)
              ~libwebp.so.5()(64bit)
Error: Package: webkitgtk3-2.0.4-6.el7_0.1.x86_64 (@base)
           Requires: libwebp.so.4()(64bit)
           Removing: libwebp-0.3.0-3.el7.x86_64 (@base)
               libwebp.so.4()(64bit)
           Updated By: libwebp-0.4.3-9.3.x86_64 (home_emby)
              ~libwebp.so.5()(64bit)

I have epel release enabled - any ideas?