Fedora/CentOS (RPM)

Luke

@fc7: Yes, /bin is a symlink to /usr/bin.

I was able to get everything running, here are the steps:

I removed everything using:

yum remove ImageMagick ImageMagick-libs MediaBrowserServer mono-opt mono-opt-devel libgdiplus libwebp5 MediaBrowserServer-repositories emby-server-core

I then ran rpm -qa | grep mono to see if any packages were somehow left behind by the rpm found on the main mono site. I found this:

libmonosgen-2_0-1-4.0.2.5-0.xamarin.1.x86_64
libmono-2_0-1-4.0.2.5-0.xamarin.1.x86_64
libmonoboehm-2_0-1-4.0.2.5-0.xamarin.1.x86_64

So I removed each one with rpm -e, then reinstalled emby-server. I ran rpm -qa | grep mono again just to see the difference:

mono-winfxcore-4.0.1.44-1.3.x86_64
mono-data-sqlite-4.0.1.44-1.3.x86_64
mono-mvc-4.0.1.44-1.3.x86_64
mono-web-4.0.1.44-1.3.x86_64
mono-wcf-4.0.1.44-1.3.x86_64
mono-data-4.0.1.44-1.3.x86_64
mono-winforms-4.0.1.44-1.3.x86_64
mono-extras-4.0.1.44-1.3.x86_64
mono-core-4.0.1.44-1.3.x86_64

And emby now starts up with no errors.

This is very similar to what happened to me. That's why it's very important in the upgrade procedure to remove every old package. Great that you manages to fix it!

Future upgrades should be simplier.

Any feedback about library, users and settings migration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by fc7

@fc7: This was essentially a new install so I didn't have anything to migrate. I was never able to get https working before. I'm running into the same problem now, however. I'm using the packaged ssl cert. When I try to connect to the https port I see this in the emby log:

2015-08-10 15:48:38.6763 Error - HttpServer: Error in ProcessAccept
        *** Error Report ***
        Version: 3.0.5675.1
        Command line: /opt/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-server
        Operating system: Unix 3.10.0.229
        Processor count: 2
        64-Bit OS: True
        64-Bit Process: True
        Program data path: /var/lib/emby-server
        Mono: 4.0.1 (tarball Thu Jun 25 23:12:03 UTC 2015)
        Application Path: /opt/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
        The authentication or decryption has failed.
        System.IO.IOException
          at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.SslStreamBase.AsyncHandshakeCallback (IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
        InnerException: Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.TlsException
          at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.RecordProtocol.ReadRecordBuffer (Int32 contentType, System.IO.Stream record) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.RecordProtocol.InternalReceiveRecordCallback (IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

2015-08-10 15:48:43.8407 Error - HttpServer: Error in ProcessAccept
        *** Error Report ***
        Version: 3.0.5675.1
        Command line: /opt/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-server
        Operating system: Unix 3.10.0.229
        Processor count: 2
        64-Bit OS: True
        64-Bit Process: True
        Program data path: /var/lib/emby-server
        Mono: 4.0.1 (tarball Thu Jun 25 23:12:03 UTC 2015)
        Application Path: /opt/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
        System.IO.IOException
          at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.SslStreamBase.AsyncHandshakeCallback (IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
        InnerException: System.NullReferenceException
        Object reference not set to an instance of an object
          at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.Handshake.Server.TlsServerHello.ProcessAsTls1 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.Handshake.HandshakeMessage.Process () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.Handshake.HandshakeMessage:Process ()
          at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.RecordProtocol.BeginSendRecord (HandshakeType handshakeType, System.AsyncCallback callback, System.Object state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.RecordProtocol.SendRecord (HandshakeType type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.SslServerStream.EndNegotiateHandshake (IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Edited by jdepth

I just checked and https is working ok in my setup and I'm using the packages from the repo. One thing I can think off: is your ssl certificate ok? I'm using a self-signed certificate but not created by Emby but by my own CA. Maybe you should open a new thread for this issue?

ABotelho

Attempted to install from the new instructions on a fresh install of CentOS7 from yesterday. This is what I get after running yum install emby-server, at the end of the dependency resolution. I honestly can't seem to decipher what that's trying to tell me...

Error: Package: webkitgtk3-2.0.4-6.el7_0.1.x86_64 (@anaconda)
           Requires: libwebp.so.4()(64bit)
           Removing: libwebp-0.3.0-3.el7.x86_64 (@anaconda)
               libwebp.so.4()(64bit)
           Updated By: libwebp-0.4.3-9.3.x86_64 (home_emby)
              ~libwebp.so.5()(64bit)
Error: Package: libwebkit2gtk-2.0.4-6.el7_0.1.x86_64 (@base)
           Requires: libwebp.so.4()(64bit)
           Removing: libwebp-0.3.0-3.el7.x86_64 (@anaconda)
               libwebp.so.4()(64bit)
           Updated By: libwebp-0.4.3-9.3.x86_64 (home_emby)
              ~libwebp.so.5()(64bit)
 You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem <----------Tried this, emby-server doesn't install if I do
 You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest <----------Did not try this, have no idea what the result would be

Any help? I assume there's a prerequisite necessary before I can move on. Thanks!

You need to check which program needs webkit libraries (web browser?) and remove it. It's a package conflict you need to solve similar to what another user was having with cups+hplip

stangri

Adding mono_path="/usr" to /etc/emby-server.conf did get it running

My changes to /etc/init.d/emby-server

22: #EXEC="{$LauncherDir:=/opt/emby-server}/emby-server.sh -s"

23: #USER="{$EmbyUser:=emby}"

24: EXEC="/opt/emby-server/emby-server.sh"

25: USER="emby"

39: daemon --user $USER $EXEC -s > $LOGFILE 2>&1 &

Fantastic, after these changes, I got the emby server from the new repo working on CentOS 6!

They should totally be implemented in the official package.

stangri

Oh, the only problem now is the following message I get after yum update:

Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package tinyxml2.x86_64 0:1.0.11-4.20130805git0323851.el6 will be updated
--> Processing Dependency: libtinyxml2.so.1()(64bit) for package: libmediainfo-0.7.75-1.el6.x86_64
---> Package tinyxml2.x86_64 0:2.1.0-5.1 will be an update
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
--> Finding unneeded leftover dependencies
Found and removing 0 unneeded dependencies
Error: Package: libmediainfo-0.7.75-1.el6.x86_64 (@epel)
           Requires: libtinyxml2.so.1()(64bit)
           Removing: tinyxml2-1.0.11-4.20130805git0323851.el6.x86_64 (@epel)
               libtinyxml2.so.1()(64bit)
           Updated By: tinyxml2-2.1.0-5.1.x86_64 (home_emby)
               Not found
 You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
 You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

I don't know how to make sense of the above, let alone how to fix it and would appreciate any tips.

ABotelho

You need to check which program needs webkit libraries (web browser?) and remove it. It's a package conflict you need to solve similar to what another user was having with cups+hplip

Completely uninstalled webkit and then had an issue with libraries having multiple versions installed. Uninstalled that as well then attempted to installed and everything now seems to work. Thanks.

ABotelho

Oh, the only problem now is the following message I get after yum update:

Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package tinyxml2.x86_64 0:1.0.11-4.20130805git0323851.el6 will be updated
--> Processing Dependency: libtinyxml2.so.1()(64bit) for package: libmediainfo-0.7.75-1.el6.x86_64
---> Package tinyxml2.x86_64 0:2.1.0-5.1 will be an update
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
--> Finding unneeded leftover dependencies
Found and removing 0 unneeded dependencies
Error: Package: libmediainfo-0.7.75-1.el6.x86_64 (@epel)
           Requires: libtinyxml2.so.1()(64bit)
           Removing: tinyxml2-1.0.11-4.20130805git0323851.el6.x86_64 (@epel)
               libtinyxml2.so.1()(64bit)
           Updated By: tinyxml2-2.1.0-5.1.x86_64 (home_emby)
               Not found
 You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
 You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

I don't know how to make sense of the above, let alone how to fix it and would appreciate any tips.

Looks a lot like the issue and the other user had. My solution was to remove the conflicting package (in your case, libmediainfo) and attempt to install emby-server. It needs a different version of the package and will install the ones it needs, from my knowledge.

stangri

Looks a lot like the issue and the other user had. My solution was to remove the conflicting package (in your case, libmediainfo) and attempt to install emby-server. It needs a different version of the package and will install the ones it needs, from my knowledge.

I have the emby-server already installed (and it's using the /var/opt/MediaBrowser folder instead of declared /var/lib). The problem I have is when I'm trying to run yum update.

From the output above it looks to me like one lib file which was declared by the emby-related rpm was not actually installed, so it cannot now be updated from epel. Or am I reading that wrong?

Quick update. A new revision of emby-server package is available:  emby-server-3.0.5675.1-49.1. This is only a revision of the package, not a new Emby server release as you can tell from the version (3.0.5675.1) and revision number (49).

This revision include several fixes according to the issues reported in this thread for CentOS6 but also the problem with mono_path affecting all the distros (CentOS and Fedora) asweel.

From now on, you don't need to add mono_path="/usr" to /etc/emby-server.conf and you can leave this file empty.

You should only define mono_path if mono is not in the default "/usr/bin/mono" path, AND you need to add the full path to mono executable. Example: mono_path="/root/bin/mono".

You can easily upgrade to the new revision running, as root: yum update emby-server.

As always your feedback is welcome.

Edited by fc7

I have the emby-server already installed (and it's using the /var/opt/MediaBrowser folder instead of declared /var/lib). The problem I have is when I'm trying to run yum update.

From the output above it looks to me like one lib file which was declared by the emby-related rpm was not actually installed, so it cannot now be updated from epel. Or am I reading that wrong?

If you upgraded Emby correctly it shouldn't be using the files under /var/opt/MediaBrowser.

Can you post the output of this commands please: "rpm -qa | grep emby", "yum list emby*", "ls -l /var/lib/" and "ls -la /var/opt/MediaBrowser".

Run the commands without quotes of course.

Thanks

Edited by fc7

stangri

If you upgraded Emby correctly it shouldn't be using the files under /var/opt/MediaBrowser.

Can you post the output of this commands please: "rpm -qa | grep emby", "yum list emby*", "ls -l /var/lib/" and "ls -la /var/opt/MediaBrowser".

Run the commands without quotes of course.

Thanks

Well, the /var/opt comment was more of a sidenote, my real problem was the yum update being broken.

Here's what happens with /var/opt/MediaBrowser  -- if I remove that, I lose all the media sections added to the server and have to re-add them.

The output of the commands you requested is below.

[root@[member="nas"] /]# rpm -qa | grep emby
emby-server-3.0.5675.1-59.1.noarch

[root@[member="nas"] /]# yum list emby*
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities, remove-with-leaves
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: less.cogeco.net
 * epel: mirrors.mit.edu
 * extras: less.cogeco.net
 * remi: remi.check-update.co.uk
 * remi-safe: remi.check-update.co.uk
 * updates: less.cogeco.net
Installed Packages
emby-server.noarch                  3.0.5675.1-59.1                   @home_emby

[root@[member="nas"] /]# ls -l /var/lib/
total xxx
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root         root           29 Aug 11 15:43 emby-server -> /mnt/NAS/Services/emby-server
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root         root           37 Aug 11 15:44 emby-server.default -> /mnt/NAS/Services/emby-server.default

[root@[member="nas"] /]# ls -la /var/opt/MediaBrowser
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Aug 12 08:01 /var/opt/MediaBrowser -> /mnt/NAS/Services/MediaBrowser

Not sure if symlinks are to blame, but from empirical evidence the /var/opt/MediaBrowser is still being used.

Edited by stangri

Well all the symlink stuff may breake the migration scripts. Can you run "ls -la /var/opt/MediaBrowser/". Note the final slash added this time.

Did you manually move the "emby-server", "emby-server.default" and "MediaBrowser" to /mnt/NAS/Services? And then symlinked them to /var/lib and /var/opt?

Maybe we should move this to another thread since your setup looks kind of unique.

stangri

Well all the symlink stuff may breake the migration scripts. Can you run "ls -la /var/opt/MediaBrowser/". Note the final slash added this time.

Did you manually move the "emby-server", "emby-server.default" and "MediaBrowser" to /mnt/NAS/Services? And then symlinked them to /var/lib and /var/opt?

Maybe we should move this to another thread since your setup looks kind of unique.

Well, I don't know how your migration scripts are written, but I'm surprised symlink can break it.

And yes, my CentOS install is on a very small SSD and thus I move the media server folders out and symlink them.

My biggest concern tho is the broken yum update tinyxml2.x86_64.

Well, I don't know how your migration scripts are written, but I'm surprised symlink can break it.

And yes, my CentOS install is on a very small SSD and thus I move the media server folders out and symlink them.

My biggest concern tho is the broken yum update tinyxml2.x86_64.

Well to answer your concern this is another example of package conflict. You are using libmediainfo from epel which is newer than libmediainfo from Emby repo. At the same time libmediainfo from epel depends on an older version of tinyxml2 than what you can find on Emby repos.

The way I would solve this is installing yum priority plugin. Assigning Emby repo a higger priority than epel and then removing libmediainfo and tinyxml, reinstalling them from Emby repo. This may require you to reinstall Emby package and it's deps as well.

Regarding the migration scripts. As you probably know symlinks does not behave exactly like a file or directory under every file operation. For example removing a symlink can remove the symlink but not the target. In any case I will review and test the migration script with a similar setup as yours just to see how it goes and fix whatever may fail for future package revision/release.

stangri

Thanks for your reply.

I'll follow your exact instructions when I get a bit more time -- towards the end of the month probably it sounds like about an hour-long project. When I did try to remove tinyxml2 yum offered me to remove emby-server and dependancies, so I've stopped it. 

For migration scripts, looks like I was still running MBS code before reboot after the migration, now that I've rebooted the system I'll check again which config folder is being used. 

New Emby beta packages are available for CentOS 6/7 and Fedora 20/21.

Installation procedure:

# yum clean all

# yum remove emby-server

# yum install emby-server-beta
The new emby-server-beta package replaces emby-server package but will retain all your data.
When the new stable release will be available you can simply remove emby-server-beta and install it in the same way.

Changes included in the new emby-server-beta package:

• Emby server version 3.0.5713
  • Emby server program files are now in /usr/lib instead of /opt.
  • New Emby default configuration file emby-server.conf in /etc/default. This file contains the default emby-server configuration and must remain untouched. If you want to modify any default setting you can do it on /etc/emby-server.conf and those settings will override the defaults.
  • Systemd service file is now under the expected path (/usr/lib/systemd/system).
  • Totally rewrited SysV init script.
  • Totally rewrited Emby launch helper script (emby-server.sh).
  • The Restart button in Emby web gui should now work as expected and restart Emby server service.
  • Gnome tray icon was removed.

We would really appreciate as much feedback as possible so we can fix any problems before the next stable release where all this changes will be also included.

Thanks.
Edited by fc7

stangri

Thanks for posting this. I followed your instructions and updated my CentOS 6.x install and it seem to have worked just fine. However when I run yum update now, I get prompted for the following:

Installing:
 emby-server        noarch    3.0.5675.1-137.1               home_emby     14 M
     replacing  emby-server-beta.noarch 3.0.5713.0.git0ddcbaf-131.1
 emby-server-dev    noarch    3.0.5667.5.gitb499915-13.1     home_emby     14 M

Is it a repo issue or my install issue?

Edited by stangri

Thanks for posting this. I followed your instructions and updated my CentOS 6.x install and it seem to have worked just fine. However when I run yum update now, I get prompted for the following:

Installing:
 emby-server        noarch    3.0.5675.1-137.1               home_emby     14 M
 emby-server-dev    noarch    3.0.5667.5.gitb499915-13.1     home_emby     14 M

Is it a repo issue or my install issue?

PS. With the new emby-server-beta, it was just enough for me to yum remove tinyxml2 and then follow your instructions above to get rid of the broken yum update tinyxml2. It still installed the epel version this time but no broken update.

Thanks for the feedback.

It was a repo issue that should be fixed by now. Try "yum update" now and if you keep getting the same message just remove emby-server-beta and install it again.
Edited by fc7

stangri

Thanks, no suggestions to update to an older version with yum update anymore.

PS. I spoke too soon about tinyxml2 update, still had to remove the package (which involved removal of emby), adjust priorities and reinstall emby-server-beta to take care of the problem, just like you suggested.

New version of emby-server-beta is out: 3.0.5713.1

Also we now have a repo for Fedora 22.

If you are still running Fedora 20 you should really start to think about upgrading since it's not maintained anymore (reached end of life a few months ago) and we are considering removing the Emby repo aswell.

As always any feedback is welcome.

Thanks

Edited by fc7

stangri

It occasionally crashes on a video playback. Maybe because I symlinked the config folder again.. How can I submit the logs or something?

Please create a new thread about this issue. Try to describe it as best as you can with repro steps and upload the logs.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk