Fedora/CentOS (RPM)

Luke

maximilianh75

Hi I installed emby in centos 7. I need to know where the metadata and other things are stored. 

In Windows installed in Users\xxxx\appdata\roaming\emby-server

In centos where??????

maximilianh75

This is listed on the front page of the emby server dashboard under the Paths section.

If I have to uninstall it and re install can you send me to a link to do it well

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Adamizme

I'm running Emby on CentOS 7. I've been lazy lately and haven't updated my server in several months. The latest update of the Android client would not work with my server, so I was forced to update the server. I went ahead and updated everything which brought me up to centos 7.4. Everything appeared to go smoothly, but now I cannot cast from the android app or from a browser to my Chromecast devices. The screen attached to the Chromecast goes black and then the video plays on my local device rather than casting. I've tried from my android phone, Chrome browser on a Windows PC, and Chrome browser on a mac. Any ideas? Casting from all other sources works fine.

I'm running Emby on CentOS 7. I've been lazy lately and haven't updated my server in several months. The latest update of the Android client would not work with my server, so I was forced to update the server. I went ahead and updated everything which brought me up to centos 7.4. Everything appeared to go smoothly, but now I cannot cast from the android app or from a browser to my Chromecast devices. The screen attached to the Chromecast goes black and then the video plays on my local device rather than casting. I've tried from my android phone, Chrome browser on a Windows PC, and Chrome browser on a mac. Any ideas? Casting from all other sources works fine.

Hi, restart your casting app and try again, thanks.

Adamizme

Hi, restart your casting app and try again, thanks.

I've restarted the app and the entire phone. I even power cycled my Chromecast units. It appears the issue is with the server since I've tried from multiple computers/devices with similar results. Any idea where to begin looking?

Adamizme

I rebooted the server, the chromecast, and my phone again. It works now... ??

Anyway... thank you! Sorry to bug you about this.

casperghst42

Hi, 

I am trying to get Emby installed on CentOS 7.3 and am running into an old problem. The Emby rpm seams to have been build on Fedora against libraries which does not exist on CentOS:

---> Package embymagick.x86_64 0:6.9.6+6-7.3 will be installed

--> Processing Dependency: libpng16.so.16(PNG16_0)(64bit) for package: embymagick-6.9.6+6-7.3.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: libwebp.so.6()(64bit) for package: embymagick-6.9.6+6-7.3.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: libpng16.so.16()(64bit) for package: embymagick-6.9.6+6-7.3.x86_64
---> Package fftw-libs-double.x86_64 0:3.3.3-8.el7 will be installed
---> Package m4.x86_64 0:1.4.16-10.el7 will be installed
---> Package mailx.x86_64 0:12.5-16.el7 will be installed
---> Package patch.x86_64 0:2.7.1-8.el7 will be installed
---> Package psmisc.x86_64 0:22.20-15.el7 will be installed
---> Package redhat-lsb-submod-security.x86_64 0:4.1-27.el7.centos.1 will be installed
---> Package spax.x86_64 0:1.5.2-13.el7 will be installed
---> Package time.x86_64 0:1.7-45.el7 will be installed
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Package: embymagick-6.9.6+6-7.3.x86_64 (home_emby)
           Requires: libwebp.so.6()(64bit)
           Requires: libpng16.so.16()(64bit)
           Requires: libpng16.so.16(PNG16_0)(64bit)

If I do an rpm search for "libwebp.so.6()(64bit)" then I find it for Fedora25/26 but not for RHEL7/CentOS7.

It would be nice if:

- the dependencies in the rpm was correct so that it would be possible to install on RHEL7/CentOS7
- that the .src.rpm would be available so that it would be easy to rebuild on a non-fedora system

Please follow the RPM build information for Fedora and dependencies: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Package_Dependencies

I'll spin a Debian/Ubunto container for this, as this, I cannot get to work.

Thanks,
Casper

@@casperghst42 what installation method are you using and where did you get it from? Our website has been updated with a whole new process and no longer has any references to emby-imagemagick.

Thanks.

casperghst42

@@casperghst42 what installation method are you using and where did you get it from? Our website has been updated with a whole new process and no longer has any references to emby-imagemagick.

Thanks.

First I tried to use the .rpm provided on the website, which would not start, probably due to missing dependencies. Then I tried with a repo, which pointed in the wrong direction (thank you for pointing that out).

Now after your response, I found the CentOS 7 repo: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/CentOS_7/ which works.

You should provide a link to that on your install page, as the rpm you provide does not work in all cases.

Thank you for your response,

Casper

No actually, that repo is now considered legacy and will eventually be deprecated. So we should look at whatever issue you had with the rpm.

casperghst42

No actually, that repo is now considered legacy and will eventually be deprecated. So we should look at whatever issue you had with the rpm.

Ok, so I cleaned up my system, and downloaded the emby-server-rpm_3.2.35.0_x86_64.rpm from the official page, then I ran:

# yum install emby-server-rpm_3.2.35.0_x86_64.rpm

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Examining emby-server-rpm_3.2.35.0_x86_64.rpm: emby-server-3.2.35.0-1.x86_64
Marking emby-server-rpm_3.2.35.0_x86_64.rpm to be installed
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package emby-server.x86_64 0:3.2.35.0-1 will be installed
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

============================================================================================================================================================
 Package                          Arch                        Version                           Repository                                             Size
============================================================================================================================================================
Installing:
 emby-server                      x86_64                      3.2.35.0-1                        /emby-server-rpm_3.2.35.0_x86_64                      160 M

Transaction Summary

Install  1 Package

There is no dependencies installed (I possibly have most of them already), but I know that I do not have mono installed:

# rpm -qa | grep mono
#

So the instructions are not correct, there should be information how to get either mono or .net core installed.

Thanks,
Casper 

casperghst42

@@casperghst42, no, that's not correct. neither are required. everything the package needs is self-contained.

Ok, so I clean everything out, and installed the new standard rpm.

But it will not start:

# systemctl start emby-server.service

# systemctl status emby-server.service

● emby-server.service - Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device.
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since Tue 2017-10-31 20:17:37 CET; 4s ago
  Process: 28781 ExecStart=/opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server (code=exited, status=217/USER)
 Main PID: 28781 (code=exited, status=217/USER)

Oct 31 20:17:37 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Unit emby-server.service entered failed state.
Oct 31 20:17:37 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: emby-server.service failed.
Oct 31 20:17:37 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: emby-server.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
Oct 31 20:17:37 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: start request repeated too quickly for emby-server.service
Oct 31 20:17:37 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Failed to start Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device..
Oct 31 20:17:37 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Unit emby-server.service entered failed state.
Oct 31 20:17:37 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: emby-server.service failed.

But if I start "emby-server" from /opt/emby-server/bin then it starts without any problems.

For me it looks like there is a problem with the service.

Oct 31 20:20:43 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Starting Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device....
-- Subject: Unit emby-server.service has begun start-up
-- Defined-By: systemd
--
-- Unit emby-server.service has begun starting up.
Oct 31 20:20:43 localhost.localdomain systemd[28807]: Failed at step USER spawning /opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server: No such process
-- Subject: Process /opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server could not be executed
--
-- The process /opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server could not be executed and failed.
--
-- The error number returned by this process is 3.
Oct 31 20:20:43 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: emby-server.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=217/USER
Oct 31 20:20:44 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Unit emby-server.service entered failed state.
Oct 31 20:20:44 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: emby-server.service failed.
Oct 31 20:20:44 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: emby-server.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
Oct 31 20:20:44 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: start request repeated too quickly for emby-server.service
Oct 31 20:20:44 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Failed to start Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device..
-- Subject: Unit emby-server.service has failed
--
-- Unit emby-server.service has failed.
--
-- The result is failed.
Oct 31 20:20:44 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Unit emby-server.service entered failed state.
Oct 31 20:20:44 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: emby-server.service failed.

No looking at the emby-server.service:

[unit]
Description=Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device.
After=network.target

[service]
EnvironmentFile=/etc/emby-server.conf
WorkingDirectory=/opt/emby-server
ExecStart=/opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server
Restart=always
User=emby

[install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

# grep emby /etc/passwd
#

# useradd -d /var/lib/emby/ -r emby
# mkdir -p /var/lib/emby && chown -R emby:emby /var/lib/emby/ (as I had started the service as root)

Now it starts. For me (I cannot say for curtain as I don't have the .spec): 

1) you need to create 'emby' as a user if it does not exist
2) you need to create /var/lib/emby as the service will not have the rights to do so (and give 'emby' ownership of it).

Then it should work.

I guess the reason why people are not seeing this, is that they already have emby installed when they move across to use your .rpm

Cheers,
Casper

alucryd

The user creation was recently moved from post scriptlet to posttrans scriptlet. But install and upgrade transactions are both passed 0 as argument and the if [ $1 = 1 ] wasn't triggered. Ths for the heads up, the next rpm will fix that.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. We will temporarily pull the update from CentOS, and it will stay on 3.2.36 until we've worked this out.

dcrdev

Thanks. We will temporarily pull the update from CentOS, and it will stay on 3.2.36 until we've worked this out.

Thanks -

Can you also make the spec or source rpm open source?