#381 alucryd OFFLINE  

alucryd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • Local time: 03:51 AM
  • LocationLille, France

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:51 AM

The only place emby needs to write to is /var/lib/emby if you don't change it. By running as root you've probably borked all the perms in it, please give them back to emby:emby and try launching the regular unit again. The full version of the log you posted first would have been nice to understand why it failed in the first place.

If you're feeling adventurous and your systemd (235 and above) is recent enough, you may create the following file:

/etc/systemd/system/emby-server.service.d/dynamic-user.conf
[Unit]
DynamicUser=yes
StateDirectory=emby

Then run as root:

systemctl daemon-reload && systemctl restart emby-server

What this will do is assign a random pid to the emby user and automatically chown everything in /var/lib/emby when the unit starts. Note that you may need to userdel emby first, haven't actually tried DynamicUser on existing users before.

#382 drynkins OFFLINE  

drynkins

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 11:51 AM

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:14 AM

Hey, thanks so much for the reply and sorry for me being so wordy...

Let me retrace the steps to clear the mess out a little.

0. I'm on rhel 8, just chrome and virtualbox repos added to the default repositories, no epel. System is up to date
1. Systemd unit didn't autostart after fresh install of stable RPM file from github
2. No logs in /var/lib/emby by deafault - no errors,no nothing
3. Tried chowning the /var/lib folder to emby:emby and restart the service - no luck, Systemd unit still fails
4. As a matter of exercise launched the binary as root - and it launched just fine
5. Tried installing the RPM file from github on fresh fedora beta 32,and it just worked - Systemd unit got enabled and stated without any manual intervention

In the meantime I Will check the Systemd version I've got here

#383 alucryd OFFLINE  

alucryd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • Local time: 03:51 AM
  • LocationLille, France

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:39 AM

Quick question, did you by chance create an emby user yourself prior to installing the package?

#384 drynkins OFFLINE  

drynkins

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 11:51 AM

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:09 AM

Hey! No i did not

#385 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 153190 posts
  • Local time: 09:51 PM

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:54 AM

Please see my response in this thread here for workarounds: https://emby.media/c...view=getnewpost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users