Fedora/CentOS (RPM)

Luke

jamesdm

A new tutorial would be great. I have a Centos 7 and I managed to install Emby server but is not working properly, don't show images, posters and can't play nothing.

• Like 1

steini

I'm sorry to inform you, but the data dir can't be moved. 

This is how I updated from MediaBrowser to Emby on CentOS7

First install
sudo wget -q https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jose-pr/MediaBrowser.Build/master/RPM/SOURCES/Emby/root/etc/yum.repos.d/emby.repo -O /etc/yum.repos.d/emby.repo
NAME=${NAME:=CentOS}
sudo sed -i "s;{Dist};$NAME;g" /etc/yum.repos.d/emby.repo
sudo yum install emby-server --enablerepo=Emby-Deps

Then change the path

sudo nano /opt/Emby/server/Emby.sh

replace: 

program_data_path="/var/opt/Emby/server"

with:
program_data_path="/var/opt/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowserServer"

Give permission to the new user
sudo chown -R Emby:Emby-Admins /var/opt/MediaBrowser/

#finally restart the service

sudo systemctl restart emby

Now I just have to figure out if the path change will survive an update - but no stress there

**Edit

Just do the sqlite database changes as in this comment http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/13398-fedoracentos-rpm/page-4&do=findComment&comment=227750

Edited by steini

stangri

I don't know if I should just try to install Fedora package on Centos 6.6 to get the server working again or try to recover the 6.6 package.

In the mean time, anyone who managed to get the Emby server started, could you please post the cat of your /etc/opt/Emby/server.conf ? Mine is blank and I'm guessing that's preventing the start script from completing.

stangri

I don't know if I should just try to install Fedora package on Centos 6.6 to get the server working again or try to recover the 6.6 package.

In the mean time, anyone who managed to get the Emby server started, could you please post the cat of your /etc/opt/Emby/server.conf ? Mine is blank and I'm guessing that's preventing the start script from completing.

Anyone?

stangri

Hey man - it´s also empty over here

What is the output from: systemctl status emby

No systemctl on Centos 6.6 ;)

stangri

I would switch back to the old repo/version, but I've had problems logging to the server before I upgraded, so my guess is it's not compatible with the current WebApp. 

Anyone else had problems logging in from the web to the actual library before move to the new repo? Or was it just me and it's safe to downgrade?

Jackrats

What would be the proper repo to be using at this point in time for CentOS?

There seem to be at least 3 repos at this point.

---

The CentOS link from the downloads page would appear to point to the old MediaBrowser repo located here:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:jose-pr:/MediaBrowserServer/Fedora_20

The latest server version there is 5607.

---

In that same vein there is an Emby repo here:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/jose-pr:/Emby/

And the latest server version there is also 5607.

---

And then there is a repo here (not even sure where I found this one referenced):

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby:/Emby-Stable/Fedora_21/

And it has version 5621 as the latest.

---

Even though the last repo has the latest version of all of three of these repos, the ImageMagick-opt (for CentOS 7 at least) version 6.9.0-10.2 doesn't appear to work (no matter what I did, my Emby server would always complain that ImageMagick was not found).

However the second repo's Emby-deps has an ImageMagick-opt version 6.9.0-11.1 which is recognized.

I'm just wondering what the master plan is in terms of repos and where I should really be pointing in the near and long term.

Thanks!

ABotelho

I'm new to Emby, and currently using CentOS 7. Been having a really hard time getting everything to work properly. Issues with having cover images appearing, Connect, and now when I click to login into a profile, it just kicks me back to the login screen immediately after login in.

I was following the instructions for CentOS in the downloads section, mostly because it did not specify a version I assumed it should work with 7. Now, it does seem like the version I was running wasn't very up-to-date, and I did get errors related repos for Emby when trying to run a yum update. I'm reading some stuff in this thread related to that too.

I am about to completely reinstall CentOS and start fresh. Should I wait out until everything is sorted out? Would that be worth it? Or try a distro where everything seems to be working correctly?

fc7

What would be the proper repo to be using at this point in time for CentOS?

There seem to be at least 3 repos at this point.

---

The CentOS link from the downloads page would appear to point to the old MediaBrowser repo located here:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:jose-pr:/MediaBrowserServer/Fedora_20

The latest server version there is 5607.

---

In that same vein there is an Emby repo here:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/jose-pr:/Emby/

And the latest server version there is also 5607.

---

And then there is a repo here (not even sure where I found this one referenced):

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby:/Emby-Stable/Fedora_21/

And it has version 5621 as the latest.

---

Even though the last repo has the latest version of all of three of these repos, the ImageMagick-opt (for CentOS 7 at least) version 6.9.0-10.2 doesn't appear to work (no matter what I did, my Emby server would always complain that ImageMagick was not found).

However the second repo's Emby-deps has an ImageMagick-opt version 6.9.0-11.1 which is recognized.

I'm just wondering what the master plan is in terms of repos and where I should really be pointing in the near and long term.

Thanks!

Any answer to this question?

I'm still running on 5607 and using the original repo for MediaBrowser on CentOS 7 but I would like to keep my Emby server up to date. My problem is that I don't know which repo to use.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

charlied573

Does anyone know if the Fedora / CentOS repository has been abandoned?  I don't mind building from scratch if necessary.  If the maintainer is going to pick this back up, however, I'll wait.

we're working on a new package so for now you might have to build from scratch. hurricanehernandez has volunteered to lead the effort but his time is limited as well. if anyone else would like to help that would be fantastic.

we're working on a new package so for now you might have to build from scratch. hurricanehernandez has volunteered to lead the effort but his time is limited as well. if anyone else would like to help that would be fantastic.

I managed to build a new rpm for Emby 3.0.5667.5 on CentOS 7 using the latest spec file I found from a srpm on jose's repo.

I'm not an expert on rpm packaging but I can do my best to help on package maintenance.

On the other hand after upgrading Emby and copying the old data and configuration I'm having problems with the library since as far as I could see last night a lot of paths inside library.db must be updated to reflect the new paths used since rebranding from MediaBrowser to Emby because they are all pointing to absolute paths that don't exist anymore. I will try to figure out this today. The rest, configuration, users, etc, were picked up without any problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I managed to build a new rpm for Emby 3.0.5667.5 on CentOS 7 using the latest spec file I found from a srpm on jose's repo.

I'm not an expert on rpm packaging but I can do my best to help on package maintenance.

On the other hand after upgrading Emby and copying the old data and configuration I'm having problems with the library since as far as I could see last night a lot of paths inside library.db must be updated to reflect the new paths used since rebranding from MediaBrowser to Emby because they are all pointing to absolute paths that don't exist anymore. I will try to figure out this today. The rest, configuration, users, etc, were picked up without any problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finally I solved the Library problem after upgrading Emby running an UPDATE query against library.db to fix all the paths.

To summarize I was able to install side by side MediaBrowser version 3.0.5602.2 (using jose's repo rpms) and Emby version 3.0.5667.5 (using a self-builded rpm and a spec file from jose's repo) and also migrate all the server settings, and library to the new Emby paths. I disabled MB 3.0.5602.2 but I didn't uninstalled it or removes it's library yet, in case I want to rollback.

@Luke: I found a minor bug in version 3.0.5667.5 related to the fonts paths for the web client. Sometimes you are using "roboto" and sometimes you are using "Roboto" as part of the path to the fonts. Since Linux filesystem is case-sensitive (unlike Windows), Emby is complaining about not finding some fonts and the web client rendering is affected since default fonts are used and in some cases they look really ugly. Maybe it's a good idea to review the code and make sure you always use the same case (all lower or all upper) in paths to prevent this kind of thing happening in the future. I quickly fix it by soft linking "roboto" directory to "Roboto".

If I can be of any help maintaining Emby packages for CentOS just let me know.

PS: I wrote a detailed procedure on how to upgrade from MediaBrowser package to Emby package (including configuration and data migration) let me know if you want me to post it here or in a new thread because it can be helpful for others trying to do the same, while we wait for the official packages for CentOS to be available.

Edited by fc7

steini

I wrote a hack/workaround a few threads back but I would be great to see what database query + tool you used to search and replace the paths in the db

I wrote a hack/workaround a few threads back but I would be great to see what database query + tool you used to search and replace the paths in the db

This is the procedure I ran to upgrade and migrate configuration and data. Libraries are working perfectly and all the users and configuration are fine too.

This procedure should be run only once, the first time you update from MediaBrowser package to Emby package.

No changes to Emby configuration files are needed so everything done below should survive any future update of the package.

I didn't use the new repos since it's not clear if they are ready or not yet so in my case I built my own rpm. In the case you are using the new repos, all the procedure will remain the same except for step 2 where you will need to install the new repo and then install the new Emby package. The rest should remain the same.

All the steps must be executed as root: 

1. Stop and disable MediaBrowser: 

1. systemctl stop MediaBrowserServer 

2. systemctl disable MediaBrowserServer 

2. Install the new Emby rpm. Replace emby-core with the name of the actual Emby package: 

1. yum install emby-core

3. Migrate MediaBrowser configuration and data to Emby new paths. We will duplicate the information: 

1. cd /var/opt/ 

2. mv Emby Emby.default 

3. cp -a MediaBrowser Emby 

4. cd Emby 

5. mv MediaBrowserServer server 

6. chown Emby.Emby-Admins server -R 

7. cd server 

8. cd data 

9. cp -a library.db librarydb.bak 

10. mv library.db-shm librarydb.db-shm.bak 

11. mv library.db-wal librarydb.db-wal.bak 

12. Modify library.db using sqlite3 library.db and in the SQLite prompt execute: 

1. Check how many rows needs updating: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM TypedBaseItems WHERE CAST(data AS TEXT) LIKE '%var/opt/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowserServer%'; 

2. Update library.db with the new paths: UPDATE TypedBaseItems SET data = CAST(REPLACE(CAST(data AS TEXT), '/var/opt/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowserServer', '/var/opt/Emby/server') AS BLOB); 

3. Check how many rows where NOT updated. It should be 0: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM TypedBaseItems WHERE CAST(data AS TEXT) LIKE '%var/opt/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowserServer%'; 

4. Check how many rows where updated. It should match the result of the first SQL step: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM TypedBaseItems WHERE CAST(data AS TEXT) LIKE '%var/opt/Emby/server%'; 

13. systemctl enable Emby 

14. systemctl start Emby 

15. Login to the web client and check that everything is working fine. If needed, restart Emby to finish the update. 

16. Once you are sure that everything is working ok you can clean-up: 

1. rm -fr /var/opt/Emby.default 

2. rm -fr /var/opt/Emby/server/data/*.bak

Hope it helps.

Maybe this steps can be included in a script that can be executed while installing the new package and that will migrate all the information automatically.

Edited by fc7

stangri

I would appreciate if anyone can help me recover the botched (by following guidelines posted here and at the emby web-site) MBS install on CentOS 6.x and/or to help my migrate to latest Emby server on CentOS 6.x.

I would appreciate if anyone can help me recover the botched (by following guidelines posted here and at the emby web-site) MBS install on CentOS 6.x and/or to help my migrate to latest Emby server on CentOS 6.x.

Can you please summarize what went wrong and which is your actual situation?

I'm running Emby on CentOS 7 but will do my best to help you.

Edited by fc7

stangri

Can you please summarize what went wrong and which is your actual situation?

I'm running Emby on CentOS 7 but will do my best to help you.

Thanks!

This is what happened:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/13398-fedoracentos-rpm/page-3&do=findComment&comment=221136

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/13398-fedoracentos-rpm/page-3&do=findComment&comment=221139

Here's the thread for the current state:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22738-please-help-me-recover-embymediabrowser-server-on-centos-66/

• 2 weeks later...
88fingerslukee

What's the latest on the availability of new packages for Fedora?  I'm still running 5607. I'd like to update it. Is anybody going to updating the existing repo or publishing a new one?

What's the latest on the availability of new packages for Fedora?  I'm still running 5607. I'd like to update it. Is anybody going to updating the existing repo or publishing a new one?

We are actively working in new packages for CentOS and Fedora.

I hope we will be able to deliver something soon.