When can we expect h.265 playback/transcoding

ronvp

Do we have a ETA on being able to playback h.265 in the web clinet and if needed transcode? It works fine on anything that is using the LAV codec (MBC, etc..), but it would be really good if MBS would be able to playback h.265 natively and transcode if and when needed.

I realize there is not a lot of hardware decoding support yet (Although new NVIDIA GPU and Intel CPU support it now), anf I play back using the software decoder (my I5 climbing to 45% so very doable)

I just been converting some of my 3D movies and it really is as good as they say. downsized by 54% on average using the exact same settings with h.264 vs h.265.

• Like 1

if your content is encoded in h265 we can already handle that. as far as transcoding to h265, very few devices support it at this point

if your content is encoded in h265 we can already handle that. as far as transcoding to h265, very few devices support it at this point

I have tried to play h.265 in the web client (IE11) and it will not play. It play just fine in external clients using the LAV codecs. What I was hoping is that it would transcode to h.264 so it can be stored in a small format and then played to almost anything..