Windows 9

Airbender

Airbender

Hi 

Is MS for real ? Windows 9

Windows 9 to be cheaper, smaller, with more apps

so is it a full OS or it is just fake name like windows blue for 8.1 ? just wondering

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/windows-9-release-date-news-and-rumours-1029245

and if the tablets and phone will be chapier then would MB3 devlopers will need to work on Windows 9 ?

Just wondering

Thanks

gthrift

I imagine MS is going to copy the Apple OS release strategy.  Every couple of years release a new version and sell it in the Windows store for $40ish dollars as an upgrade to the current OS.  I think 8.1, while used to improve the OS and make customers happy, is also a test for the distribution of the an update.  I don't think we will see windows 9, but rather 8.2 as a paid upgrade.  Just like Apple uses with Lion to Mountain Lion.

Cheesegeezer

I'm windows 7 thru and thru!!  I think Win7 will be like the old XP.... around for ages.

• Like 1

trooper11

Well it would not shock me to see them migrate to a smaller, paid upgrade cycle, like Apple does.

If they are serious about keeping up with the likes of Google and Apple, they need to be aggressive about updates and the old way is too slow for that. Push major upgrades each year or so is a much better plan.

I think its more likely we get 8.2 or 8.5 next year and maybe 9 they year after.

Tharnax

After today's little Apple speech it appears they are doing away with paid OS upgrades all together.  Since they sell hardware and OS as a package, it makes sense to give away their OS updates.  I doubt MS will ever be able to the same.

trooper11

I don't think it is a problem for MS though.

Apple and MS have two totally different markets.

Apple charges far more for their systems vs equivalent pcs and you can't buy OSX on its own. So in effect, Apple can give these updates away for 'free' since they already make it back several times over in the system costs.

MS does not control hardware pricing since you are free to buy the OS on its own and build your own pc.

The easy counter for MS is that Windows 8.1 is also free as long as you already own a Win 8 pc, the same as Apple offering an update for free as long as they already own an OSX system. My guess is that MS will not charge for the .X type updates, but then will for the major #s. So 8.2,8.5, etc could be free, while 9 would cost something.

• Like 1