"Trailers" media type missing?

AdrianW

AdrianW

I have my own folder full of trailers (I use the MetaBrowser "Current Trailers" feature).

I've added this as a media folder and it works really well with MBC as my "Trailers" collection just shows up on the EHS.

I'm pretty sure that a while back when I added this folder to MBS I had the option of selecting "Trailers" as a media type - this caused the trailers to show up in the trailers section of the web UI (IRC).

But, it appears something had changed - there's now no "Trailers" media type, the trailers section of MBS is empty and worst of all - all my trailers appear in the movies section as (really short) movies.

Can we have a "Trailers" media type please?

• Like 2

AdrianW

The Trailers media type went away when Trailers were changed into a channel.

So - what's the solution for local trailers? Can the trailers channel source content from a local folder?

AgileHumor

put each in subdirectory called "trailers" of the media title's folder (i.e. c:\myvideos\mymovie\trailers

Edited by AgileHumor

AdrianW

put each in subdirectory called "trailers" of the media title's folder (i.e. c:\myvideos\mymovie\trailers

I'm already doing that for trailers for movies that I own. What I'm talking about here is trailers for "coming soon" movies - i.e. trailers for new and yet to be released theatrical movies.

AgileHumor

Oh, I just use the trailers option in the new channel for that.  Maybe if you put it in that temp folder where it pre-downloads the trailers?

AdrianW

devs - is there no chance of getting the "Trailers" media type back? 

By removing it you've effectively broken local trailers for me.

I suppose I could switch to the trailers channel, but there seems to be virtually no configuration for that. 

AgileHumor

For the devs sake, can you clarify the benefits to you with this config.  It appears that your asking to have your own trailer management engine of movies you don't own, and use mediabrowser to treat those trailers specially?  

The current trailer supports 3 sources for trailers and local download options.  The settings have moved as well for trailers channel.

Can you ensure you've gone to the new page to ensure the new features your looking for are not there.  I know the moved per this thread:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/11914-local-trailers-plugin-configuration/?hl=%2Btrailer+%2Bchannel&do=findComment&comment=141986

Some other folks frustrated with the change that may help you understand why:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/11497-trailers-limit-of-days-overall-limit/?hl=%2Btrailer+%2Bchannel&do=findComment&comment=139015

AdrianW

For the devs sake, can you clarify the benefits to you with this config.  It appears that your asking to have your own trailer management engine of movies you don't own, and use mediabrowser to treat those trailers specially?  

The current trailer supports 3 sources for trailers and local download options.  The settings have moved as well for trailers channel.

Can you ensure you've gone to the new page to ensure the new features your looking for are not there.  I know the moved per this thread:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/11914-local-trailers-plugin-configuration/?hl=%2Btrailer+%2Bchannel&do=findComment&comment=141986

Some other folks frustrated with the change that may help you understand why:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/11497-trailers-limit-of-days-overall-limit/?hl=%2Btrailer+%2Bchannel&do=findComment&comment=139015

Thanks for the heads up about the config page - I hadn't found that previously. It's still not as configurable as the current trailers option in metabrowser (which allows filtering by genre).

I'll give it a go and see how well it works. But it's a shame that "Trailers" as a media type had to be removed - I'm sure I'm not the only one with their own folder full of trailers.

And for the benefits:

• I can use metabrowser's trailer downloader (which allows me to filter out genres in which I'm not interested)
  • I can manually download any specific trailer I like and just dump it in the folder (I can then use metabrowser to get it's metadata)

AgileHumor

I've never used metabrowser before...sounds cool.  Hopefully if enough people clammer for it, they'll bring it back. 

You might be able to create a movie folder with no movie, just the metdata...and put the trailer in there.  I know one folder per trailer doesn't sound fun.

AdrianW

You might be able to create a movie folder with no movie, just the metdata...and put the trailer in there.  I know one folder per trailer doesn't sound fun.

One trailer per folder is what I already have - they behave just like movies, and that's the problem. Previously they showed up under trailers but now they're appearing everywhere where movies show up.

• 2 weeks later...
Kevin3824

So basically, If I am reading this correctly. I have an extensive library of substantially over 1000 Movies on network hard drives each movie is in a separate folder but there is not a separate subfolder for each trailer within that folder nor is there a separate trailer folder  for all the trailers. Yesterday when I went to a particular movie description I had the option to play the trailer to allow my company or myself a preview of what a movie was about. Now today my mediabrowser updated and it seems to have lost the trailer feature entirely. Also my latest movies screen it not functioning either since this upgrade. 

It seems to me like you wiping out the .trailer extension has added several hundred movies to my library and taken away a lot of the functionality of the media center.

Edited by Kevin3824

So basically, If I am reading this correctly. I have an extensive library of substantially over 1000 Movies on network hard drives each movie is in a separate folder but there is not a separate subfolder for each trailer within that folder nor is there a separate trailer folder  for all the trailers. Yesterday when I went to a particular movie description I had the option to play the trailer to allow my company or myself a preview of what a movie was about. Now today my mediabrowser updated and it seems to have lost the trailer feature entirely. Also my latest movies screen it not functioning either since this upgrade. 

It seems to me like you wiping out the .trailer extension has added several hundred movies to my library and taken away a lot of the functionality of the media center.

No, what you just described has nothing to do with what is being discussed in this thread. Please open a separate topic and describe in detail what you're seeing. thanks.