Arch Linux

Luke

NOTICE: it seems that the new Emby server beta has problems to stream video to iOS devices (music works ok) using the webclient with Safari (and possible also the app but I coudln't test this yet). So if you use iOS clients for video streaming a lot you might want to wait until the problem is fixed to try emby-server-beta, or even wait for the next stable release.

Thanks

A new version of emby-server-beta is out: 3.0.5713.2

If you had any problems streaming to iOS devices with previous beta versions they seem to be fixed in this new beta.

As always any feedback is welcome.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thefirstofthe300

To build on what fc7 said: due to the fact that I have less and less time to actually update the packages, I am trying to turn the Linux packaging over to the Emby team so that they can easily update it.  Consequently, I have added the package to the Emby OBS repo.  I have completed the emby-server-beta package and it appears to be building just fine.  Also, it has support for restarting via the server dashboard.

Currently, the package is only in what I would call a beta stage so please help test it.  The instructions are posted at the beginning of this thread.  Just keep in mind that it is a beta package so use at your own risk.

If you have any problems, please create a new post detailing the issue. :)

A new version of emby-server-beta is out: 3.0.5713.3.

Thanks

A new version of emby-server-beta is out: 3.0.5713.4.

Thanks

A new version of emby-server-beta is out: 3.0.5713.5.

Thanks

A new version of emby-server-beta is out: 3.0.5713.6.

Thanks

alucryd

Hey guys, I just switched from plex to emby and I most likely won't look back. FYI, I plan on adding emby-server (stable only) to our [community] repository once I've played around enough with it, and maybe the kodi plugin if it makes sense to do so.

• Like 3

Hey guys, I just switched from plex to emby and I most likely won't look back. FYI, I plan on adding emby-server (stable only) to our [community] repository once I've played around enough with it, and maybe the kodi plugin if it makes sense to do so.

That is great! Looking forward to that :)

ZachOfAllTrades

if you are updating the PKGBUILD, I would ask that you update the following entries:

arch=('i686' 'x86_64' 'armv6h' 'armv7h')

makedepends=('imagemagick' 'fakeroot' 'binutils')

and note that the most recent release:

pkgver=3.0.5724.3

thefirstofthe300

Hmm.  Interesting thought.  I would like to point out that I am working with the Emby team to publish all of the packages to the openSUSE Build Service repository, possibly making the community package redundant.  Adding it to the community repo would be great for publicity but I am not sure if doing so will be viable in the longterm due to the commitment needed.  I am not trying to say that it shouldn't be done.  I am just going a different route with my package.

Also, a note on the Emby addon for Kodi: it directly accesses the Kodi database so it could possibly cause issues with current installs.  Consequently, I am not sure if it should be added to the community repo.

thefirstofthe300

Good news!  I just pushed the package changes to the Arch repo on the OBS.

Please see the updated installation instructions at the beginning of this post.

alucryd

Hmm.  Interesting thought.  I would like to point out that I am working with the Emby team to publish all of the packages to the openSUSE Build Service repository, possibly making the community package redundant.  Adding it to the community repo would be great for publicity but I am not sure if doing so will be viable in the longterm due to the commitment needed.  I am not trying to say that it shouldn't be done.  I am just going a different route with my package.

Also, a note on the Emby addon for Kodi: it directly accesses the Kodi database so it could possibly cause issues with current installs.  Consequently, I am not sure if it should be added to the community repo.

If it's commitment you need, I've got more than enough. Every single package among the hundreds I maintain, officially and unofficially, is working (apart from upstream bugs if any) and up to date. A multimedia server I'll be using everyday is bound to receive extra care from me anyway.

A lot of people won't enable any kind of unofficial repository, I know I won't except my own, so having emby-server in [community] will give it a lot more exposure.

Speaking about your packages, here are some thoughts:

• The emby user home should be at /var/lib/emby, not /var/lib/emby-server, traditionally a user home bears the user's name. Note that I'll be reserving UID:GID 422:422 for emby:emby, since our xbcmc has 420:420, and I picked 421:421 for plex. This makes it possible to set perms on /var/lib/emby inside the PKGBUILD so that pacman can track them.
  • I'm pretty sure giving sudo permissions to a systemd unit so that it can manipulate itself is a big no-no, plus there isn't a single package in the official repositories that adds more sudoers rules. Those should be left to the user's discretion, providing he knows what he's doing. I agree being able to restart the server via the WebUI can prove handy, especially after installing a plugin (Restart=always in the systemd unit would do the trick) but shutting it down should definitely be done manually.
  • Also daemon-reload should be called manually, not by the install file.

BTW, why duplicate packages that are already in the official repos?

As for the Kodi plugin, that was just a thought if there's high demand for it, I'd rather have people install it manually too.

alucryd

if you are updating the PKGBUILD, I would ask that you update the following entries:

arch=('i686' 'x86_64' 'armv6h' 'armv7h')

makedepends=('imagemagick' 'fakeroot' 'binutils')

and note that the most recent release:

pkgver=3.0.5724.3

We don't support any ARM arch in the official repos, I'm sure ALARM will be interested in it though, you might want to try their forums once I'm done on my end. As for makedepends, all 3 of them are useless. imagemagick is already in depends, and the other two are part of base-devel which you're supposed to have installed anyway, it's written black on red on the wiki, you can't miss it.

i discovered emby and it's so cool...i like it very much.

1. when i run emby-server as root i can do everything and the server works very well. i can add folders to library and it scans but i cannot add my external hdd to library (very sad for that)

2. when i run emby server (not root) it works but i cannot add any folder to library (it says me error in scanning)

my question is:

there is a way to fix that? (i mean add external hdd to library as root or not)

Thanks

thefirstofthe300

i discovered emby and it's so cool...i like it very much.

1. when i run emby-server as root i can do everything and the server works very well. i can add folders to library and it scans but i cannot add my external hdd to library (very sad for that)

2. when i run emby server (not root) it works but i cannot add any folder to library (it says me error in scanning)

my question is:

there is a way to fix that? (i mean add external hdd to library as root or not)

Thanks

1.)  I am not sure what you mean by not being able to add an external HDD.  Do you have the HDD mounted on your filesystem?  If not, it won't work period.  If you do, have you checked to make sure that you don't have ACL issues?

2.) Dollars to donuts you are having permissions problems.  Have you checked to make sure that the emby user has read/write permissions on your library folder, whether that be through a group or the emby user actually owns the library?

1.)  I am not sure what you mean by not being able to add an external HDD.  Do you have the HDD mounted on your filesystem?  If not, it won't work period.  If you do, have you checked to make sure that you don't have ACL issues?

2.) Dollars to donuts you are having permissions problems.  Have you checked to make sure that the emby user has read/write permissions on your library folder, whether that be through a group or the emby user actually owns the library?

Thanks for replying me

1. my external Hdd (usb) works very good (in plex no problem). in emby when i start it as $ i can add the folder from the Hdd but it cannot scan. (it cannot scan any folders i add to library... this is the log: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=enMRFtCk

2. as # i cannot add folders from my external Hdd in library, when i click for adding the path it logs me out, but it works very well with other folders from all my partitions. (log: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=BNMkrkSk)

I hope to explain my bug clearly 

Edited by vinc

thefirstofthe300

That looks like some kind of weird bug. @@Luke

Also, what are the file paths you are attempting to add to Emby?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

thefirstofthe300

Actually ignore my above post. It looks like the install is screwed up. What is in your /etc/conf/emby-server file? And what is is the /usr/bin/emby-server file?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by DaBungalow

Thanks for replying me

1. my external Hdd (usb) works very good (in plex no problem). in emby when i start it as $ i can add the folder from the Hdd but it cannot scan. (it cannot scan any folders i add to library... this is the log: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=enMRFtCk

2. as # i cannot add folders from my external Hdd in library, when i click for adding the path it logs me out, but it works very well with other folders from all my partitions. (log: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=BNMkrkSk)

I hope to explain my bug clearly 

My usb hdd is mounted in:

/run/media/vinc/Verbatim/

Fixed with this:

chmod -R a+rwX /run/media/vinc/

now emby add everything to library!

thefirstofthe300

Good news everyone!

Thanks to @@alucryd, the emby-server package is now in the Arch community repos.  Feel free to check it out!

thefirstofthe300

@@alucryd

If I orphaned the emby-server-beta package and the emby-server-git packages, would you be willing to adopt them and keep them up?

UPDATE: Firgured this out. Don't see a way to delete this post. Apologies.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm going through server configuration and I'm at the very beginning setting up the location of my media. All of my media is on a WD MyCloud NAS. Since the Network button is not detecting the MyCloud automatically I'm putting in the IP address and it just stares at me. Following the example in the yellow banner is not working. I access this NAS in my file manager everyday so I know I'm putting in the correct IP address.

Edited by mekevinb