Arch Linux

Luke

On 6/4/2022 at 10:42 PM, dadquaris said:

Heads up, emby is out of date again, for over a week.

HI, yes the 4.7.2 release is coming. Thanks.

dadquaris
44 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI, yes the 4.7.2 release is coming. Thanks.

It's been brought up-to-date again shortly after this post. Thank you very much for that.

Would it be possible to make updating arch's package part of the workflow when packaging releases, please?  I feel like a jerk noticing mine is out of date, manually packaging/installing it, waiting a week+, and pestering you guys.

Edited by dadquaris

alucryd

@dadquaris Maybe next time you could try waiting patiently for the package to be updated like everybody else, and you won't feel like a jerk 😉 First of all people update these and people have lives, secondly there is a lot more happening behind the scenes in Arch Linux that is not shared publicly, and sometimes updating a package is just blocked by something else, we have schedules and priorities.

Feel free to switch to docker if you think you can't afford to wait, that package is part of the workflow and isn't bound by any constraint, so you'll get your updates instantly.

Btw, it's no use creating an AUR package, it will get deleted, duplicates of the official repositories aren't allowed.

Juan Simón

The version of ffmpeg compiled on Arch Linux does not have the chromaprint plugin enabled which is necessary to use the new "Intro skip" functionality. 

It is important that when new functionality is added that requires changes to the builds that the package maintainers are informed.

• 4 weeks later...
Juan Simón

@softworkz The Arch Linux package includes an Emby server-specific ffmpeg binary, it doesn't use the system ffmpeg:

$ pacman -Ql emby-server | grep -i ffmpeg
emby-server /usr/bin/ffmpeg-emby
emby-server /usr/lib/emby-server/Emby.Ffmpeg.Base.dll
emby-server /usr/lib/emby-server/Emby.Ffmpeg.Lib.dll
emby-server /usr/lib/emby-server/Emby.Ffmpeg.dll

$ cat /etc/conf.d/emby-server
FFDETECT=/usr/bin/ffdetect-emby
FFMPEG=/usr/bin/ffmpeg-emby
FFPROBE=/usr/bin/ffprobe-emby
PROGRAM_DATA=/var/lib/emby
LIBVA_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/lib/dri

$ ffmpeg-emby -version
ffmpeg version 5.0.0-emby_2022_05_07-spc Copyright (c) 2000-2022 the FFmpeg developers and softworkz for Emby LLC
built with gcc 12.1.0 (GCC)
configuration: --disable-doc --disable-ffplay --disable-shared --disable-vdpau --disable-libxcb --disable-lzma --disable-sdl2 --disable-xlib --enable-chromaprint --enable-fontconfig --enable-gmp --enable-gnutls --enable-gpl --enable-libaom --enable-libaribb24 --enable-libass --enable-libdav1d --enable-libdrm --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libmfx --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libtesseract --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libzvbi --enable-lto --enable-nvdec --enable-nvenc --enable-static --enable-vaapi --enable-version3
libavutil      57. 19.100 / 57. 19.100
libavcodec     59. 21.100 / 59. 21.100
libavformat    59. 17.100 / 59. 17.100
libavdevice    59.  5.100 / 59.  5.100
libavfilter     8. 25.100 /  8. 25.100
libswscale      6.  5.100 /  6.  5.100
libswresample   4.  4.100 /  4.  4.100
libpostproc    56.  4.100 / 56.  4.100

-------------------------

I add

It is also not necessary to reboot the system after installing your ffmpeg package, it is enough to restart the emby server:

systemctl restart emby-server.service

Edited by softworkz

Juan Simón

@softworkz I have tried to install your package and it has another problem, you have not created the signature file:

$ sudo pacman -U https://mediabrowser.github.io/embytools/emby-ffmpeg-bin-2022_05_07-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
:: Retrieving packages...
emby-ffmpeg-bin-2022_05_07-1-x86_64                            30.4 MiB  77.1 MiB/s 00:00 [-----------------------------------------------------] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'emby-ffmpeg-bin-2022_05_07-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst.sig' from mediabrowser.github.io : The requested URL returned error: 404
warning: failed to retrieve some files

alucryd

Updating the emby-server package will not revert to using the included ffmpeg because /etc/conf.d/emby-server is in the backup array.

As for the sig, I didn't know remote sources needed them, here are working instructions:

wget https://mediabrowser.github.io/embytools/emby-ffmpeg-bin-2022_05_07-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
pacman -U emby-ffmpeg-bin-2022_05_07-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

Edited by softworkz
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2022 at 2:07 PM, Juan Simón said:

@softworkz The Arch Linux package includes an Emby server-specific ffmpeg binary, it doesn't use the system ffmpeg:

Of course you are right, that was an another platform - thanks!

On 7/8/2022 at 2:07 PM, Juan Simón said:

It is also not necessary to reboot the system after installing your ffmpeg package, it is enough to restart the emby server:

When you write a lot of messages and you don't have time to test and verify, I rather opt to write something which I'm 100% sure about, even when it might not be mandatory 🙂

I have update the How-To post accordingly now.

Thanks a lot for your feedback,
softworkz

Edited by softworkz

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, benjyp06 said:

I no longer have the "Blast Alive Messages" option under my DLNA settings, did this get removed?

image.png

That option got lost in the shuffle of some user interface reorganization, but the messages are still being sent if you have the dlna server enabled. What are you trying to do?

benjyp06
On 01/10/2022 at 03:25, Luke said:

That option got lost in the shuffle of some user interface reorganization, but the messages are still being sent if you have the dlna server enabled. What are you trying to do?

Ah, I see. I was just trying to get it to show up on a few devices that weren't picking it up, seems to have just started working now. Must've changed something but I'm not sure :)

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
JoeAverage
On 6/9/2023 at 4:54 PM, MediaEmby1968 said:

How to update the version of emby-server in Manjaro?

They're upgrading support for the emby-server package from Community (meaning volunteer-maintained) to Extra (meaning official Manjaro team maintained), so for now we are stuck on emby-server version 4.7.11. https://packages.manjaro.org/?query=emby-server

I considered removing the emby-server package and installing from the snap since it is up to date (https://snapcraft.io/emby-server), but decided to give the Manjaro team some more time to update the package. But switching to the snap is an option.

Edited by JoeAverage

alucryd

FWIW, the Manjaro team does nothing of the sort, they don't maintain anything, they're just reusing packages maintained by the Arch Linux team... So you're essentially waiting for Arch Linux to update the package, and then for Manjaro to sync their repositories for you to get an update.

JoeAverage
51 minutes ago, alucryd said:

FWIW, the Manjaro team does nothing of the sort, they don't maintain anything, they're just reusing packages maintained by the Arch Linux team... So you're essentially waiting for Arch Linux to update the package, and then for Manjaro to sync their repositories for you to get an update.

Arch Linux has updated the repository a while ago, so we're waiting for the transfer from Community to Extra to happen, then the next sync can happen.

https://archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&q=emby-server&maintainer=&flagged=

Edited by JoeAverage

On 6/11/2023 at 12:35 PM, MediaEmby1968 said:

Hello Thanks for answering.. the thing is that I saw this.. https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/emby-server/

but I am not very sure if I have to uninstall emby first in its 4.7.11 version and install the new one or with a sudo pacman - Syu would update itself.

For now snap packages do not convince me much.

Hi, can you try just installing the latest over the top?

MediaEmby1968

The way to install programs in manjaro... I do it through pamac. and there appears the version 4.7.11 of emby-server. And if I do it through your way of installing it, according to the web. It would be sudo pacman -S emby-server and here the installed version is 4.7.11.

I think that as the partner says, we have to wait for them to update it

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

While we wait for the Arch Linux package to get updated, are there any specifics available on this particular line in the change log?

Compatibility updates for FreeBSD, TrueNAS and Arch Linux

Just curious to know what kind of compatibility fixes we're looking at.

10 hours ago, 10479 said:

While we wait for the Arch Linux package to get updated, are there any specifics available on this particular line in the change log?

Compatibility updates for FreeBSD, TrueNAS and Arch Linux

Just curious to know what kind of compatibility fixes we're looking at.

Hi, it's primarily compiling against the recently updated libjpeg-turbo, so if you haven't installed that update yet, then it shouldn't be impacting your emby server.

On 9/3/2023 at 1:07 PM, 10479 said:

Awesome. Thanks for the update.

What version of jpeg-turbo are you on? 

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2023 at 3:00 PM, Luke said:

What version of jpeg-turbo are you on? 

Sorry. I never got the notification for this. I'm on 3.0.0 and have been since you replied.

• Thanks 1