Arch Linux

Luke

It looks to me latest version on Arch Linux is still at 3.5.3.0-1. Is 4.0 underway, or has Arch Linux been dropped as supported platform?

Edited by thostr
  • Like 1

Juan Simón

In the download page (https://emby.media/download.html https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases)there are packages to download for several Linux distros ( Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, Fedora, Linux Mint, OpenSUSE) but not for Arch Linux. Why ?
In the official repositories is still version 3.5.3.0.
On the other hand, package for Arch is very easy to generate but in this version there are important changes that may make it necessary for Emby developers to create the package.

Edited by Juan Simón

Juan Simón

I have upgraded to server version 4 using the official PKGBUILD and changing the version number.

I restarted the server and it seems that everything is correct but I'm not sure if the database upgrade operation was done because I accessed the web client immediately and it didn't show any message informing me about this. How can I test this?

We'll have the arch package updated by the weekend.

I'm not familiar with the method you used but you can check the version number in your server log. Thanks !

• Like 4

Juan Simón

I'm not familiar with the method you used but you can check the version number in your server log. Thanks !

The version is updated.

5c41dd801f4fe_captura_20190118_150642.pn

But in this blog post: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-447-announcing-emby-server-40/ you said:

Important Upgrade Information

After installing the update, the server will begin a database upgrade operation. If you attempt to open the web app during this time, you'll be given a friendly message informing you about this. This operation could take a little time, so please be patient with it.

After this is complete, any plugins you may have installed will require updates, so please check the status of this on your server dashboard. If any plugins are updated, remember that Emby Server will need to be restarted. After all updates have been applied, we recommend that you run a library scan. The first scan following the update could take longer than usual, so please be patient.

In my case, I'm not sure if this upgrade operation was done. Should this upgrade operation show any messages in the log?

Juan Simón

You were already on the beta before, right? So it already happened for you.

No, I've passed from 3.5.3.0 to 4.0.0.2 directly.

The version is updated.

5c41dd801f4fe_captura_20190118_150642.pn

But in this blog post: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-447-announcing-emby-server-40/ you said:

In my case, I'm not sure if this upgrade operation was done. Should this upgrade operation show any messages in the log?

How did you do it?

And do you get, on "transcoder" settings, the list of hardware decoders?

Edited by Keltere

heciruam

How did you do it?

And do you get, on "transcoder" settings, the list of hardware decoders?

I believe you need to put it on advanced for them to show up. Just an assumption, as I haven't updated yet.

• 4 weeks later...
chowbok

@@Luke, can we upgrade ffmpeg to 4.1 yet if we're tracking beta? I've had my server lock it on 4.0 for a while now, and it's starting to stop other packages from being able to update.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a problem with the latest Arch linux emby-server package and hardware encoding?

I have installed Emby on Arch Linux using the emby-server package that is part of Arch Linux - emby-server 4.0.2.0-2.

I have not been able to use hardware encoding.  Previously running Plex on the same hardware with encoding working.

Looking at the emby log I see it is failing to run this command

/usr/bin/ffmpeg-emby -init_hw_device vaapi=vad0:/dev/dri/renderD128 -filter_hw_device vad0 -hwaccel vaapi -hwaccel_device /dev/dri/renderD128 -hwaccel_output_format yuv420p -f matroska -i file:"/g/Movies/BluRay/Back to the Future Part III (1990).mkv" -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -c:v:0 h264_vaapi -force_key_frames "expr:gte(t,n_forced*5)" -copyts -filter_complex "[0:3]scale=1920:1080:force_original_aspect_ratio=decrease[sub];[0:0][sub]overlay,format=nv12|vaapi,hwupload" -avoid_negative_ts disabled -start_at_zero -b:v:0 7616001 -maxrate 7616001 -bufsize 15232002 -profile high -level 4.1 -look_ahead 0 -vsync -1 -map_metadata -1 -map_chapters -1 -threads 0 -codec:a:0 ac3 -metadata:s:a:0 language=eng -disposition:a:0 default -ac:a:0 6 -ab:a:0 384000 -ar:a:0 48000 "/var/lib/emby/transcoding-temp/2af3f6097635c5b67431fe2d61ecb47c.mkv"

Running the same command from the shell I get this error

ffmpeg version 4.0.2-emby_p_2018_12_01 Copyright (c) 2000-2018 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 8.2.1 (GCC) 20181127
  configuration: --disable-doc --disable-ffplay --disable-shared --disable-vdpau --disable-libxcb --disable-lzma --disable-sdl2 --disable-xlib --enable-fontconfig --enable-gmp --enable-gnutls --enable-gpl --enable-libaom --enable-libass --enable-libdrm --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libzvbi --enable-version3 --enable-nvdec --enable-nvenc --enable-static --enable-vaapi
  libavutil      56. 14.100 / 56. 14.100
  libavcodec     58. 18.100 / 58. 18.100
  libavformat    58. 12.100 / 58. 12.100
  libavdevice    58.  3.100 / 58.  3.100
  libavfilter     7. 16.100 /  7. 16.100
  libswscale      5.  1.100 /  5.  1.100
  libswresample   3.  1.100 /  3.  1.100
  libpostproc    55.  1.100 / 55.  1.100
Unrecognized option 'look_ahead'.
Error splitting the argument list: Option not found

If I remove the look_ahead option, it seems to create the mkv and CPU usage is quite low indicating that hardware encoding as in fact working.

alucryd

@@cpt Does the system ffmpeg work? You can modify /etc/conf.d/emby-server to point to /usr/bin/ffmpeg and then restart emby.

The system ffmepg will not work if it is ffmpeg 4.1, so make sure it is 4.0.3. We're looking into this though to see if we still even need to use that option. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest plexman

I want to share this with everyone because it happened to me today. My server is a i5-6600 Skylake processor with an Intel HD 530, wich is supported for VAAPI transcoding either with libva-intel-driver (old one) or intel-media-driver (new one) packages. I installed the new one (intel-media-driver) and surprise! VAAPI wasn't working :wacko: .

After figuring out the problem and reading the amazing Arch Wiki, I found out that when using the new intel-media-driver you need to add an environment variable to tell the system to use the intel media driver. EZ solution, add this line to your /etc/conf.d/emby-server file:

LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=iHD

restart the server and... Voilà! You have VAAPI working again! :P

And in addition I tried using the system's ffmpeg (not ffmpeg-emby) wich now is version 4.1.3 and it works too!

Hope it helps.

References:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hardware_video_acceleration

Edited by plexman