Arch Linux

Luke

alucryd

Pacman should have offered to delete the file and retry, I assume you already tried several times. This package comes from OBS upon which I have no control, can you have a look at it guys? In any case, I just updated the package in [community], you can upgrade to that one instead.

Just a thought, have you tried deleting that file and running the upgrade again?  The file might have just not downloaded correctly.  If that doesn't work, let us know and I am sure alucryd will fix it.

Pacman should have offered to delete the file and retry, I assume you already tried several times. This package comes from OBS upon which I have no control, can you have a look at it guys? In any case, I just updated the package in [community], you can upgrade to that one instead.

Pacman did offer to delete and redownload, which didn't resolve the issue. I tried again this morning though, everything was clean and the update went through without any problem. Thank you :)

Edit: That was still through home_emby_Arch_Extra repository though. I will switch to the community repo for future updates.

Edited by 3psus

• 1 month later...
Petersonb88

Everytime I try to restart emby-server, it crashing and will not load again.  The only fix I can find is to uninstall it via pacman and delete /var/lib/emby which wipes everything out.  Here is a pastebin link with the journalctl output.  Can anyone see what's going on here?

http://pastebin.com/0n5A3xLA

I got Emby Server up and running on my Raspberry Pi B+ using Arch Linux. I can add libraries, add plugins, etc.. Only problem I have is that my media library on my NAS might be too big? I have some performance issues. Scanning my 2TB folder takes ages and shuts Emby Server down at around 50%. The Emby Webserver dashboards reacts very slow as well and crashes my Emby Server sometimes.

Next to Emby Server I am running a TVHeadend-Backend with a USB DVB-T-Stick on my Pi.

I overclocked my Pi using following settings:

##Turbo
arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=6

gpu_mem=256

Is anyone else here running Emby Server on his Raspberry Pi and experiencing similar problems? Or is the Pi just not strong enough for Emby Server?

Edited by zeug

• 2 weeks later...
alucryd

Everytime I try to restart emby-server, it crashing and will not load again.  The only fix I can find is to uninstall it via pacman and delete /var/lib/emby which wipes everything out.  Here is a pastebin link with the journalctl output.  Can anyone see what's going on here?

http://pastebin.com/0n5A3xLA

It would seem like a missing file is the cause, but I have no idea which one. Maybe @@Luke will be able to pinpoint it. Have you tried deleting the emby user and group after uninstalling emby via pacman and deleting /var/lib/emby? Just to make sure you start from a vanilla state.

I got Emby Server up and running on my Raspberry Pi B+ using Arch Linux. I can add libraries, add plugins, etc.. Only problem I have is that my media library on my NAS might be too big? I have some performance issues. Scanning my 2TB folder takes ages and shuts Emby Server down at around 50%. The Emby Webserver dashboards reacts very slow as well and crashes my Emby Server sometimes.

Next to Emby Server I am running a TVHeadend-Backend with a USB DVB-T-Stick on my Pi.

I overclocked my Pi using following settings:

##Turbo
arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=6

gpu_mem=256

Is anyone else here running Emby Server on his Raspberry Pi and experiencing similar problems? Or is the Pi just not strong enough for Emby Server?

I've never tried it on a RPi, but since your model only has 512MB of memory I'm guessing you're running out of it quite fast. At startup emby takes about 300MB on my server, and I've seen it go past twice that number.

• 3 weeks later...

When making the switch to the community repo, I remember that I had to change /var/lib/emby-server to /var/lib/emby. The shadow service is now complaining about not finding /var/lib/emby-server. How can I point it to the new and good directory?

Here is some output from systemctl:

[epsus@[member="arch"] etc]$ sudo systemctl status shadow -l
● shadow.service - Verify integrity of password and group files
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/shadow.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2016-01-04 19:43:59 EST; 17min ago
  Process: 30813 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pwck -r (code=exited, status=2)
 Main PID: 30813 (code=exited, status=2)

Jan 04 19:43:59 Arch systemd[1]: Starting Verify integrity of password and group files...
Jan 04 19:43:59 Arch pwck[30813]: user 'emby': directory '/var/lib/emby-server' does not exist

thefirstofthe300

When making the switch to the community repo, I remember that I had to change /var/lib/emby-server to /var/lib/emby. The shadow service is now complaining about not finding /var/lib/emby-server. How can I point it to the new and good directory?

Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/shadow.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)

Jan 04 19:43:59 Arch systemd[1]: Starting Verify integrity of password and group files...
Jan 04 19:43:59 Arch pwck[30813]: user 'emby': directory '/var/lib/emby-server' does not exist

That error is caused because the home directory of the user "emby" no longer exists.  If you stop Emby, delete the user, reinstall the emby-server package, and start Emby again, that error should go away.  To test if it is gone, just run a "pwck".

alucryd

As thefirstofthe300 said, but it still won't work because the database still points to the wrong directory.

The proper migration steps are:

• Stop and uninstall emby-server
  • Delete the emby user and group
  • Install emby-server from [community]
  • Use the provided emby-migrate-database script, in your case:
sudo emby-migrate-database /var/lib/emby-server /var/lib/emby
  • Delete your old database in /var/lib/emby-server
  • Start emby-server

BTW, make sure you manually move /var/lib/emby back to /var/lib/emby-server before you do all this.

Edited by alucryd
  • Like 1

Thanks for this detailed explanation. I knew I could just create /var/lib/emby-server and shadow would stop complaining, but this is obviously not the way to handle the situation. I'll follow your instructions and report after, thanks a lot :)

Hello, guys, Emby does not see the folders on my Arch (external HDD and internal folders). Please, help.

Have you made sure permissions were sufficient?

GeniusLoci

Have you made sure permissions were sufficient?

I tried but it does not help. Maybe I was wrong to do so. Some advice (about permission)?

Well, the user "emby" certainly needs to have read access to the folders containing your media. For this, emby could be the owner of the folder or be part of the group that has access. You might appreciate this wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Users_and_groups

When you say that emby does not see your folders, what do you mean exactly? When you add your media folders, is it that you cannot add them or that you really don't see them at all? What happens if you enter the path manually?

GeniusLoci

Well, the user "emby" certainly needs to have read access to the folders containing your media. For this, emby could be the owner of the folder or be part of the group that has access. You might appreciate this wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Users_and_groups

When you say that emby does not see your folders, what do you mean exactly? When you add your media folders, is it that you cannot add them or that you really don't see them at all? What happens if you enter the path manually?

Thanks for the reply. This is my folder "Home" - up here everything well. The same thing with external HDD. If I enter the path manually changes nothing.568d4674c9b8c_Screenshot20160106_1366x76

GeniusLoci

2016-01-06 18:22:25.4223 Error HttpServer: Error processing request for /emby/Environment/DirectoryContents?includeDirectories=true&path=%2Frun%2Fmedia%2Fuser%2FHDD
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 3.0.5783.0
    Command line: /usr/lib/emby-server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/bin/ffprobe
    Operating system: Unix 4.3.3.2
    Processor count: 4
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    Program data path: /var/lib/emby
    Mono: 4.2.2 (Stable 4.2.2.10/7b87787 Mon Dec 21 19:36:52 UTC 2015)
    Application Path: /usr/lib/emby-server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
    Access to the path "/run/media/user/HDD" is denied.
    ServiceStack.HttpError
    No Stack Trace Available

Yea there it is. So we need to figure out how to grant the emby user access to that path

GeniusLoci

What is the output of

ls -l /run/media/user | grep HDD

drwxrwxrwx 1 user users 12288 Dec 26 19:49 HDD

Yea there it is. So we need to figure out how to grant the emby user access to that path

How ? I cannot exit from this hell with the permissions.

alucryd

No offense but if you can't figure a basic permission issue by yourself you probably shouldn't be using Arch Linux in the first place. @@3psus gave you a link to start with, and I'm sensing you need to document yourself on file permissions too.

Anyway, there are many ways to deal with this, each with their pros and cons: make the emby user the owner of that dir, add emby to the group owning that dir, or make it 776 or 777, but enough with the easy dirty not so good ideas. Create a new group, add your own user and emby to it, and make that group owner of the directory then add setgid recursively, that should give you read and access permissions to the share and any new file or dir created inside of it, you can play with the mod to add write permission as well if you want to store your metadata locally.

GeniusLoci

No offense but if you can't figure a basic permission issue by yourself you probably shouldn't be using Arch Linux in the first place. @@3psus gave you a link to start with, and I'm sensing you need to document yourself on file permissions too.

Anyway, there are many ways to deal with this, each with their pros and cons: make the emby user the owner of that dir, add emby to the group owning that dir, or make it 776 or 777, but enough with the easy dirty not so good ideas. Create a new group, add your own user and emby to it, and make that group owner of the directory then add setgid recursively, that should give you read and access permissions to the share and any new file or dir created inside of it, you can play with the mod to add write permission as well if you want to store your metadata locally.

Thanks for the reply. Your answer did not sense - you could save. Everything that you have said already know. I was hoping that someone had this problem and I could help. The answer that I do not have to use linux and do proper permissions on folders and that very easy not helps me

alucryd

This is clearly a permission issue so everything I said is helpful, and like I said 777 is really dirty. Now have a look at '/run/media/user', you'll notice there's no way the permissions on that dir will allow emby to see the folders inside. Don't use your DE's automount feature and mount your HDD in some nice folder like '/mnt'.

• 4 weeks later...
williamkray

i'm running into an issue lately where nothing will play in the web client if i'm not on a local connection. i think i've pinned it down to an ffmpeg issue, because that's where the breadcrumbs lead:

/usr/bin/ffmpeg -fflags +genpts -noaccurate_seek -i file:"/home/media/movies/The.Martian.2015.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264-PriMeHD.mkv" -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -map -0:s -codec:v:0 h264_qsv -force_key_frames expr:gte(t,n_forced*5) -vf "scale=trunc(min(max(iw\,ih*dar)\,1280)/2)*2:trunc(ow/dar/2)*2" -pix_fmt yuv420p -preset 7 -look_ahead 0 -b:v 2180000 -vsync vfr -profile:v high -level 4.1 -map_metadata -1 -threads 0 -codec:a:0 libmp3lame -ac 2 -ab 320000 -af "aresample=async=1,volume=2" -y "/var/lib/emby/transcoding-temp/6ae22cee14b1ce49036fb28e0f02abdf.mkv"

ffmpeg version 2.8.5 Copyright (c) 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 5.3.0 (GCC)
  configuration: --prefix=/usr --disable-debug --disable-static --disable-stripping --enable-avisynth --enable-avresample --enable-fontconfig --enable-gnutls --enable-gpl --enable-ladspa --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libdcadec --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libgsm --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore_amrnb --enable-libopencore_amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libssh --enable-libtheora --enable-libv4l2 --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxvid --enable-shared --enable-version3 --enable-x11grab
  libavutil      54. 31.100 / 54. 31.100
  libavcodec     56. 60.100 / 56. 60.100
  libavformat    56. 40.101 / 56. 40.101
  libavdevice    56.  4.100 / 56.  4.100
  libavfilter     5. 40.101 /  5. 40.101
  libavresample   2.  1.  0 /  2.  1.  0
  libswscale      3.  1.101 /  3.  1.101
  libswresample   1.  2.101 /  1.  2.101
  libpostproc    53.  3.100 / 53.  3.100
Unrecognized option 'look_ahead'.
Error splitting the argument list: Option not found

look_ahead appears to be not an argument that can be used... but arch repos don't appear to have a newer version of FFmpeg that might include this feature. everything was working fine previously, and i haven't updated my system since then, so i'm at a bit of a loss. does anyone have any input about what i'm doing wrong?

EDIT: never mind, of course as soon as i ask for help i figure it out. i set transcode settings to auto, apparently my system doesn't support Intel Quick Sync.

Edited by williamkray

• 1 month later...
ebike

I have the server  working great on an Odroid-XU3 ARM device ... even transcoding works well ... worse case 50% CPU 1080p -> 1MB stream

Would love to see a Home Theater client for Linux though .... and I can't get TvHeadend to work ...

(Previously been a Plex user, but will shift if the TVHeadend client works ..)

Edited by ebike