OpenMediaVault

Luke

TrainAss

I think I read somewhere that the docker plugin is not supported for omv2.

I don't have this restart issue with my emby docker container. But I am using the stable version. So maybe you can check, if it works in another emby container using the stable channel.

Greetings Hoppel

When I was trying to figure out my issue, I tried that. I rebuilt my Emby so many times, deleted the container and started from scratch. Used the settings from within docker itself and made my own script. I've tried all the different ways I could think of and get the same thing. It's working the way it is, I just have to restart the container every now and then to complete updates.

BAlGaInTl

I've been running OMV for a couple of years now, upgraded to OMV3 from 2 at the end of June and have been very happy with it. I started with the Emby plugin and then a year ago switched to the docker container and it's been great. I can nuke my OMV box for whatever reason, reinstall and point Docker back to where everything was, and all my containers come back up; no configuring. It makes things so much easier than using the plugin.

However, since the end of June (before I did the OMV upgrade) I've been having an odd issue with my Docker. Whenever I reboot Emby from within the container, I can't get back in to Emby. I have to actually reboot the entire container. The Emby logs itself don't show anything out of the ordinary (that I noticed). A friend of mine is now having the same issue, he's still on OMV 2, both of us are in the Emby Server beta channel too.

That small issue aside, Docker I find is the way to go. Everything is neat, clean and easy.

I had issues with mine until I followed the wiki instructions exactly.

I then used the OMV Docker interface to tell it to automatically start.

I have a different issue though... when I update my container, my shares become read only, and I lose the custom naming.  I have to manually reset them.

I'll get it figured out eventually...

TrainAss

I had issues with mine until I followed the wiki instructions exactly.

I then used the OMV Docker interface to tell it to automatically start.

I have a different issue though... when I update my container, my shares become read only, and I lose the custom naming.  I have to manually reset them.

I'll get it figured out eventually...

My current setup does follow the wiki, and still have the issue. I think it's a weird Docker issue, might be related to the network stack. I'm not too concerned about it right now though. Now I need to help my buddy figure out his issue of why no new media is playing or pulling any file info (resolution, bitrate, audio, etc.).

godfuture

I do not exactly understand why debian + docker is a suitable alternative to omv, because I think docker is made to solve completly different problems. OMV provides web management for my debian host. Docker is a way of deploying and managing applications. Please correct me, if I am wrong.

So I guess its not about omv or docker. Personally, I would have prefered the plugin to be prepared for omv 3.x. For now, I guess I will go for cli (I have no exp with docker).

Please let me know if you hear something about updates on the emby omv plugin!

BAlGaInTl

I do not exactly understand why debian + docker is a suitable alternative to omv, because I think docker is made to solve completly different problems. OMV provides web management for my debian host. Docker is a way of deploying and managing applications. Please correct me, if I am wrong.

So I guess its not about omv or docker. Personally, I would have prefered the plugin to be prepared for omv 3.x. For now, I guess I will go for cli (I have no exp with docker).

Please let me know if you hear something about updates on the emby omv plugin!

There is a Docker plugin for OMV which is part of the reason why I switched.

It's a great way to add functionality to your OMV server when native plugins are not available.

You can pull/install emby directly from the OMV web interface, but I found that problematic.  I installed the Docker plugin for OMV, but did the manual CLI install.  I can still use the web interface for managing it now.

• 2 months later...

I also use Docker and pull the last Emby image every time there is a new server and it works fine.

I just find the whole procedure with adding all volumes annoying every time. 

Any tip on how to do the Docker/Emby server update a bit more convenient?  

59fcc3cb03cc6_Skarmavbild20171103kl20294

Probably my lack of skills @Luke  :)

I might be doing this the wrong way but here are my steps.

1. in OMV/services/Docker i pull image: emby/embyserver:latest

2. run the new image and there i have to add all stuff again.

Now with ver. 3.2.36.0 i pulled the image, copied the 3.2.35.0 container and used the new image and volumes from 3.2.35.0 and what do you know i got the  3.2.36.0 and all my stuff are there :)

Maybe still wrong way so please tell me how to easy do the updates as they come.

Edited by peterem

hoppel118

Did you read „Maintenance - Upgrading“?

https://hub.docker.com/r/emby/embyserver/#upgrading

You do not need to pull the docker image for every update. It’s possible to update the emby server inside your existing container. If I see an update at the emby webui, I use the following command (xxx = container name):

docker exec xxx update
Greetings Hoppel

hoppel118

Ok, it’s allowed to have wishes. [emoji6]

But with the method I described, you do not need to pull the docker image everytime and so you don’t need to add all stuff (volumes) again. That is what you described above.

You simply have to execute this one command, if you see an available update in the emby webui. You even don’t have to stop the container to update the emby server inside the container.

Greetings Hoppel

Edited by hoppel118

BAlGaInTl

Yes i know but i wish to be able to manage OMV and all stuff inside in the GUI and not in the terminal.

Even in that case, sometimes you are just running the GUI of another application inside OMV.

If you follow the instructions here: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Docker-Getting-Started

The cli is simply 

emby-server update

That's easy enough to put in a cron in OMV to update regularly.

I don't entirely agree, openmediavault is my base and in there i manage docker containers among them Emby.

i have ran several servers completely relying on ssh which i know is the "right way to go" but in this "home project" i have decided that if i can't manage something in openmediavault GUI i wont use it. Might sound stupid i know but this is my approach for now.

in openmediavault's Docker repo i can see if there is an update (and of course i see it in Emby control panel) and easily pull the new image. Then down att the container department i think it would absolutely be an option to "update" the container so it uses the new image but i haven't found a way yet. My solution was to make a copy of the container and ther use the new image and use all volumes from the current container naming the new container with the new Emby version.

This works for me and it is no big deal so i think i will go with this for now.

There is an Update button in the container section and it would be great if when i have downloaded the new image and the click on update container i would change to the new image.  

hoppel118

Ok, but in this case you are in the wrong forum at least in my opinion. This should be asked in the openmediavault docker thread: http://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/11290-Docker-GUI-plugin-now-stable/?postID=158214&highlight=docker%2Bgui%2Bnow%2Bstable#post158214

The omv docker plugin developers are @nicjo814 and @subzero79 (and maybe @ryecoaaron) at the moment.

Greetings Hoppel

Edited by hoppel118

BAlGaInTl

So in other words, no easy way without using ssh into server?

You could do it completely from OMV using the docker plugin, It just isn't the "best" way.

I think that one problem with a pure Emby plugin for OMV is that the development pace is so fast, it would be very difficult to keep the plugin up to date.

Also, you do know that there is a web based SSH client plugin for OMV as well?  You could use that to perform the occasional command line stuff.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
DeepQuasar

Hi I am currently using emby through docker I am a little confused because every time I add a volume in run image emby never discovers any media, I am also using emby as user & group.

BAlGaInTl

Hi I am currently using emby through docker I am a little confused because every time I add a volume in run image emby never discovers any media, I am also using emby as user & group.

I assume you are also creating the library in Emby and pointing it at the volume?

DeepQuasar

I assume you are also creating the library in Emby and pointing it at the volume?

Yeah thats I am doing that in OMV I have emby under group & user share with permission. I still can not find any media through the library. Also how would I save the metadata to the media folders I know need to give some special permission.

Update

I solved my problem.

Edited by DeepQuasar
  • Like 1

hi @@DeepQuasar, go to emby library setup, click on one of your libraries, then check the box "Save artwork and images into media folders".

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

hoppel118

hi @@DeepQuasar, go to emby library setup, click on one of your libraries, then check the box "Save artwork and images into media folders".

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

Additionally: Don’t forget that the emby user from inside your container needs the rw-right for your media folder/s outside your container.

Have a look at the chapters „Technical Information“ and „Environment Variables“ (APP_UID / APP_GID):

https://hub.docker.com/r/emby/embyserver/#technical-information

Greetings Hoppel

Edited by hoppel118

DeepQuasar

Additionally: Don’t forget that the emby user from inside your container needs the rw-right for your media folder/s outside your container.

Have a look at the chapters „Technical Information“ and „Environment Variables“ (APP_UID / APP_GID):

https://hub.docker.com/r/emby/embyserver/#technical-information

Greetings Hoppel

I have already this set up through the omv, also on omv I have given permission to my media storage for the same user I am using on emby. I am still not getting the meta into the media folders.

Regards DeepQuasar