OpenMediaVault

Luke

Thanks to the efforts of Sergio, we now have an Open Media Vault plugin available.

Installation

See http://emby.media/download

5464d09a44a70_OpenMediaVault.png

OpenMediaVault is the next generation network attached storage (NAS) solution based on Debian Linux. It contains services like SSH, (S)FTP, SMB/CIFS, DAAP media server, RSync, BitTorrent client and many more. Thanks to the modular design of the framework it can be enhanced via plugins.

OpenMediaVault is primarily designed to be used in home environments or small home offices, but is not limited to those scenarios. It is a simple and easy to use out-of-the-box solution that will allow everyone to install and administrate a Network Attached Storage without deeper knowledge. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
marauder

The plugin does not show up in my plugin list. I have the mono repo added and reloaded. I have also tried adding the testing repo, and uninstalling the repo and re-adding it.

dantheman

The plugin does not show up in my plugin list. I have the mono repo added and reloaded. I have also tried adding the testing repo, and uninstalling the repo and re-adding it.

Tekkb posted the link above.  It is not in the repo right now.  Maybe someone can update the download instructions on mediabrowser.tv/download

Edited by dantheman

Tekkb posted the link above.  It is not in the repo right now.  Maybe someone can update the download instructions on mediabrowser.tv/download

The plugin is temporary offline due to changes. I'm in testing stage for a new version. Thanks for your patience.

The link tekkb posted above is not for the official plugin I made.

Edited by Sergio

• 1 month later...
supturb89

The plugin is temporary offline due to changes. I'm in testing stage for a new version. Thanks for your patience.

The link tekkb posted above is not for the official plugin I made.

Any update as to when the plugin will be available?  Thanks.

I switched my server today from Windows to OMV 1.12.

Whene I activate the Mono Repo I can also see the MediaBrowser Plugins.

So it is available now again over the (un)official OMV-Extras:  ;)

wksqgmnc.png

• 3 weeks later...
marauder

I was wondering if you had a release date setup for the next upgrade, as currnetly the OMV version if 2 stable releases behind? Is there a way to switch from the OMV version to the standard repo version without loosing the database?

• 1 month later...
frikandel

i installed it .it was successfull but cant open the admin page neither the client page all error 

when i look in omv it  says its not started

• 2 weeks later...
bobby21

It it highly unlikely to work any more... since the move to imagemagick, Debian Wheezy and OMV are no longer supported! Only Debian Jessie (Testing) and Ubunutu.

There is a thread on OMVs forums about this: http://forums.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/6033-openmediavault-mediabrowser-plugin-currently-v1-10-0/

On the last page, Sergio says it won't work unless someone figures out how to get ImageMagick to work on Wheezy... http://forums.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/6033-openmediavault-mediabrowser-plugin-currently-v1-10-0/?pageNo=22

OMV support needs to be removed from the downloads page :(

Unless anyone can think of how to get it working?

Edited by bobby21

elcabong

This sucks.  I setup OMV with emby for a buddy as its easier to manage than full on Ubuntu or other *nix servers.  Hoping someone figures out a good fix, otherwise he and many others will be outdated quickly with their working MB/emby installs.

marauder

This is a shame. I can't even get the plugin version that was released for OMV to be stable, crashes after a few hours. I'm currently using Serviio, which is nice but very basic. Don't really want to switch to Ubuntu, we'll see.

Edited by marauder

bobby21

@@elcabong - I know, it sucks. The only working version for OMV on Wheezy is the last version that didn't use ImageMagick. It's posted as a package on the OMV forums, but as you say, it's outdated.

@@marauder - I know things are bad, but I wouldn't jump on the Ubuntu band waggon just yet ;) Debian Jessie is scheduled for release on the 25th April. After a while OMV will undoubtably move to Jessie. There are plenty of other stable options before you move to Ubuntu :P

Anyway, looks like Luke has a plan :D

Edited by bobby21
  • Like 1

marauder

Nice, I don't have anything against Ubuntu, I like it better than Debian. I've just got my OMV fully setup and customized, so don't want to have to change unless I need to. I'm in no rush, as I have an alternate dnla that's usable.

bobby21

It's down to personal preference, but my experiences with Ubuntu past about 8-10 have been mediocre in terms of a desktop environment, (plus I hate the fact that the unity bar cannot be moved in recent versions), and as a server I find it terribly buggy. Ubuntu is Debian's Sid (unstable) branch, but with some 'stability bought to it'. Similar to Red Hat taking a Fedora snapshot then stabilising it - only not as stable :P The problem is, Debian 7 on which OMV is based, is nearing end of life. It's repos were frozen before it came out and then no major version changes take place until the next release. Whilst this provides a very stable system, it can leave things a little outdated. The alterntives are things like Fedora and Ubuntu which are bleeding edge but less stable, or rolling release distros such as Arch or Gentoo.

Edited by bobby21
  • Like 1

thefirstofthe300

Surprisingly enough, Arch makes a pretty darn good server. I have been running Arch as my home server/desktop for about a year now and I have never really had a problem with it. I update every week and nothing has really broken. And as far as a package manager pacman is fairly tough to beat IMO. Apt repos are a pain in the rear to manage. Same for yum.

Using PKGBUILDs is really quite brilliant as any bash-script kiddie can figure it out and build their own packages.

• Like 1

bobby21

I've heard a few people say that. Rolling releases can sometimes be slated for stability when it comes to servers but I've never heard anyone say Arch was unsuitable. I ran Arch for quite a while on my main laptop. I periodically visit a handful of distros on a test box or in a VM and have always been impressed with it. Additionally, the user base is very friendly and the wiki is simple yet thorough. Pacman is pretty awesome as you said. Have you ever heard of ArchBSD? A great project to take a look at if you have any use for BSD and love Pacman.

Talking of package managers that are pretty good, I've always loved portage. I occasionally play around with a Gentoo box for fun... Then I slap myself round the face and tell myself that life is too short for emerge -uavDN world ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ellnic

Hi All! :)

Thought I'd post this here - we just had some luck over at the OMV forum :) (yay!) The server fires up now and we are one step closer!

I have completed the initial wizard and added some movies.

I noticed that something was throttling the CPU...

TZLTudK.png

Looks like ffmpeg has several instances and they linger after the movie is stopped. I had to tap a couple of times on play and pause for the movie to start so this might have something to do with it.

They took about 3 mins to go after the movie stopped playing. I also noticed that the quality on my iPhone seemed off, is there a known transcoding/ffmpeg issue or did I need to change something?

tekkb

I have only tested music.  With that I'm getting very low cpu.  I try to test some video this weekend.

Edited by tekkb

ellnic

Just tried with some music, and I seem to get a spike of throttled CPU before the music starts and a delay of 3-8 seconds when clicking on a track. Htop shows ffmpeg is responsible again with 98-100% usage on just the one PID this time. Once the music starts playing, it's uninterrupted - presumably because this has already been sent to the client and cached.