FreeNAS plugin

Luke

hola, que tal, sou nuevo en el uso de Emby me agrada mucho, pero me tope con un problema, o quiza algo estoy haciendo mal, tengo emby en un plugin de freenas, funciona perfecto con las peliculas y videos, pero cuando coloco imagenes o fotografias en alguna de las carpetas, la imagenes no se muestran, aun dando clic en fotos, ojala y me pudieran ayudar.

Hi there, what problem are you having?

ddywz

Are you able to SSH/SFTP into your FreeNAS server, browse to your iocage directory and see if there's a leftover directory in there? Usually it's stored in YOURDATASET/iocage/jails I use winscp or putty for this. It could be causing a conflict while trying to install. 

If that doesn't work we can probably walk you through a manual install instead of the plugins section

There is nothing there... Here is the view.. No signs of any emby or mdserver (the name I called it)

5ed86949ccf9d_Annotation20200603232107.j

I tried to install emby from community and not ixsystems,  still get that error. 

MRobi

There is nothing there... Here is the view.. No signs of any emby or mdserver (the name I called it)

5ed86949ccf9d_Annotation20200603232107.j

I tried to install emby from community and not ixsystems,  still get that error. 

Alright, might be time to do a manual install.

This should get you there although it's not an officially supported install method. Be sure to change your JAILIP/MASK and Gateway. It should look something like this ip4_addr="vnet0|192.168.1.100/24" defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"

Going by memory too I believe samba48 has been replaced by samba410 so if you get an error on that one try samba410

iocage create -n "emby" 11.3-RELEASE ip4_addr="vnet0|<JAILIP>/<MASK>" defaultrouter="<GATEWAY>" vnet="on" allow_raw_sockets="1" boot="on"
iocage console emby
pkg install mono libass fontconfig freetype2 fribidi gnutls iconv opus samba48 sqlite3 libtheora libva libvpx libvorbis webp libx264 x265 dav1d libzvbi libraw ImageMagick6
pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.4.3.0/emby-server-freebsd11_4.4.3.0_amd64.txz
sysrc emby_server_enable="YES"
service emby-server start
  • Like 2

ddywz

Thanks MRobi,  this procedure worked.  I only had to put a -r before 11.3-RELEASE  and had to use samba410 as you stated.  All went well and the jail is now created for emby.   So this is not considered a plugin?  When I go under plugins I don't see emby installed.  It is present only under the jails. 

I still like to find out what is stuck on the original config and why I can no longer re-install Emby plugin.

Anyway, thanks for the help to get this going.

MRobi

My bad, I forgot the -r in there! Oops!

This method is not considered plugins. Plugins are either official or community add-ons that are maintained by an individual. If that individual takes a month away from their pc and there's been 4 updates in that time period, you wait until they get back to update the plugin.

The method I just had you do was completely manual. Same end result, but instead of being managed by another individual, it's managed by you. You can update to any new version you want manually by updating the dependencies and then installing the new emby package which is hosted on their github. I personally prefer this method since it allows more flexibility in the install.

As to why the plugin install isn't working, I really couldn't say. It could be a problem with the plugin package itself. I'm not really sure who maintains either the official or the community plugin.

• 6 months later...
Baenwort

As a FYI.

This is no longer a official plug in for FreeNas/TrueNAS. You'll see two versions in the community plug in area now. Perhaps we should get them merged so only one shows to people? 

hjason7812
On 12/20/2020 at 10:10 AM, dolphin said:

You're right, it's so confusing for a newbie!

image.png.40953b99912dc6fd08b1d359d01aa64f.png

I don't have these I just have the original there. I also am using the 11.3-u5 version of freenas because the 12 0-u1 of truenasis all buggy and stuff  

• 2 weeks later...
Gamer0126

Hello all, 

I recently upgraded to Truenas Version: 12.0-RELEASE on train 12.0-STABLE and Emby Plugin: 4.5.4.0. I am running into issues with the emby plugin, specifically: 

• Does not allow me to adjust settings or go into any other sub menus. 
  • Does not update database. 
  • GUI looks odd with Titles having header name in it. 

Should I switch over to the Emby Server? Or do i have to uninstall plugin and destroy the Jail, then reinstall everything for emby? 

Not sure which version is supported in Truenas emby or emby server. 

I upgraded to Truenas, then Truenas sent notification to upgrade to the latest Emby Plugin version.

Thanks, 

MRobi
5 hours ago, Gamer0126 said:

Hello all, 

I recently upgraded to Truenas Version: 12.0-RELEASE on train 12.0-STABLE and Emby Plugin: 4.5.4.0. I am running into issues with the emby plugin, specifically: 

• Does not allow me to adjust settings or go into any other sub menus. 
  • Does not update database. 
  • GUI looks odd with Titles having header name in it. 

Should I switch over to the Emby Server? Or do i have to uninstall plugin and destroy the Jail, then reinstall everything for emby? 

Not sure which version is supported in Truenas emby or emby server. 

I upgraded to Truenas, then Truenas sent notification to upgrade to the latest Emby Plugin version.

Thanks, 

Definitely something weird going on there, Emby definitely works fine on TrueNAS. I've never installed or updated with plugins though, only manually. 

When upgrading to TrueNAS you went from a base of FreeBSD11 to FreeBSD12. Before doing anything, I would go to the jail and update the jail structure to FreeBSD12. 

I don't think it should be possible, but the plugin may have installed the FreeBSD12 version into your FreeBSD11 jail.

Stuff like this is exactly why I don't use the plugins, god knows who set them up since they're community based and not maintained by Emby or the TrueNAS group.

Edited by MRobi

Baenwort

The one named just "emby" is the old community plug in. This one is set to use NAT and have you access http://nasip:8096/

The one named "emby server' is the old offical plug in and I updated it two weeks ago based upon someone's error here who found it wasn't installing all the secondary packages.  I've set this one up with dhcp so you get a separate IP from your NAS. 

If you have the knowledge and time to create a jail manually I echo MRobi's comment but if you don't then I suggest trying the other plug in and reporting back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Gamer0126
On 1/4/2021 at 10:07 PM, Baenwort said:

The one named just "emby" is the old community plug in. This one is set to use NAT and have you access http://nasip:8096/

The one named "emby server' is the old offical plug in and I updated it two weeks ago based upon someone's error here who found it wasn't installing all the secondary packages.  I've set this one up with dhcp so you get a separate IP from your NAS. 

If you have the knowledge and time to create a jail manually I echo MRobi's comment but if you don't then I suggest trying the other plug in and reporting back.

Thanks for the feedback, sorry it took me so long to respond. I uninstalled and reinstalled the emby server version, it looks like it is working. I did find this thread : link to install the plugin manually, for future reference would the forum be the proper procedure to install the plugin manually? Also installing it manually would it mean I would have to monitor for future updates to the plugin to update the plugin manually? 

One last question, if I go through this again I would like to know if there is a way to save the viewer history? 

Thanks, 

Edited by Gamer0126

45 minutes ago, Gamer0126 said:

Thanks for the feedback, sorry it took me so long to respond. I uninstalled and reinstalled the emby server version, it looks like it is working. I did find this thread : link to install the plugin manually, for future reference would the forum be the proper procedure to install the plugin manually? Also installing it manually would it mean I would have to monitor for future updates to the plugin to update the plugin manually? 

One last question, if I go through this again I would like to know if there is a way to save the viewer history? 

Thanks, 

That's not at all how I would go about doing a manual install, especially the whole part of compiling your own ffmpeg version with your own settings. Sounds like a troubleshooting nightmare waiting to happen unless you really know what you're doing. Also, it's still using the pkg version which may not necessarily be up to date with the current version of emby (sometimes can be a few weeks before the pkg gets updated). A proper manual install would be pulling the latest version directly from Emby's github page.

No matter your installation method, it's up to you to monitor for future updates. The server itself will tell you when a new version is available. If you're upgrading in an existing jail, you won't lose any settings or viewing history. If you're creating a new jail, then you can always use the backup/restore function and then allow your library to rescan.

• Like 1

Gamer0126
50 minutes ago, MRobi said:

That's not at all how I would go about doing a manual install, especially the whole part of compiling your own ffmpeg version with your own settings. Sounds like a troubleshooting nightmare waiting to happen unless you really know what you're doing. Also, it's still using the pkg version which may not necessarily be up to date with the current version of emby (sometimes can be a few weeks before the pkg gets updated). A proper manual install would be pulling the latest version directly from Emby's github page.

No matter your installation method, it's up to you to monitor for future updates. The server itself will tell you when a new version is available. If you're upgrading in an existing jail, you won't lose any settings or viewing history. If you're creating a new jail, then you can always use the backup/restore function and then allow your library to rescan.

If there are reliable/relatively simple instructions to install a plugin manually, you could point me to I would greatly appreciate it.    

4 hours ago, Gamer0126 said:

If there are reliable/relatively simple instructions to install a plugin manually, you could point me to I would greatly appreciate it.    

Check out this post:

This is for updating manually.

A fresh install is similar, check out these instructions for the beta. You can change the release link for any version on the github page.

https://emby.media/freebsd-server.html

This is assuming you know how to create a jail in FreeNAS, you can do this easily with the GUI. Everything else is in shell.

• 2 months later...
Baenwort

So I've been trying to trace down the ffmpeg issue and I think I may have found its source.

in the artifact file (this is the jail setup instructions that setup rc.conf.local and other system config files:

https://github.com/freenas/iocage-plugin-emby/blob/master/overlay/usr/local/etc/rc.d/emby-server

it looks like the jails are being created to look for ffmpeg at the stock location and not the custom emby location and have been doing so for the last 4 years.  I suspect if we fix this it may get the custom version of ffmpeg working for emby plug-in users.

What do you think @MRobi? @Luke?

ohitsyouagain
On 11/12/2014 at 7:32 PM, Luke said:

We now have a FreeNAS plugin available.

Installation

https://emby.media/download

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/uploads/inline/2/5463bd143d0dd_logo.png

FreeNAS is the go to solution for managing storage

I've had great luck with the plugin on a DL380eGen8 server, with a pair of e5-2450L CPU's and 64GB of memory.  I have Six 2TB drives in my storage pool, and the system is running with 8 VCPU's and 12G of memory

For experimentation with making it available on the Internet I used a ASUS board with a FX 6 core CPU running at 3.5G.  Storage is a 4TB drive and 1TB to run VMware workstation 15.  I did this so I coud use the same system to monitor and change that I am running TrueNAS on.  TrueNAS runs in a 10G drive with 8G of memory and 4 VCPU's

I've installed both versions of Emby on this... that come with TrueNAS.  The newer one Version: 4.5.4.0_1 seems better, but hard to tell the difference.

I'm trying to understand how to update the library after new media is added without doing the whole storage drive...

In search of a manual.

Edited by ohitsyouagain

ohitsyouagain
On 4/4/2021 at 11:36 AM, Baenwort said:

So I've been trying to trace down the ffmpeg issue and I think I may have found its source.

in the artifact file (this is the jail setup instructions that setup rc.conf.local and other system config files:

https://github.com/freenas/iocage-plugin-emby/blob/master/overlay/usr/local/etc/rc.d/emby-server

it looks like the jails are being created to look for ffmpeg at the stock location and not the custom emby location and have been doing so for the last 4 years.  I suspect if we fix this it may get the custom version of ffmpeg working for emby plug-in users.

I just used a pkg install ffmpeg after deleting the old ffmpeg.  Been hearing about a SPECIAL version of ffmpeg, but haven't seen any links for download.

Edited by ohitsyouagain

Baenwort
1 hour ago, ohitsyouagain said:

I just used a pkg install ffmpeg after deleting the old ffmpeg.  Been hearing about a SPECIAL version of ffmpeg, but haven't seen any links for download.

There aren't any links as it is bundled with the emby_server package. What I'm working on is why in 2019 the plug in switched to using the stock ffmpeg pkg and changed the $PATHS for ffmpeg and ffprobe.

Checking the plug in does seem to have the emby customized ffmpeg build installed but the plug-in config artifact directs the jail to use the standard ffmpeg location which causes a failure if the plug-in creation json doesn't include "pkg install ffmpeg". 

MRobi
On 04/04/2021 at 12:36, Baenwort said:

So this is hosted on FreeNAS' github so I assume this is created when installing the community plugin?

I remember seeing instructions on FreeNAS forums quite a while back (probably around 4yrs) that would install the emby package, remove ffmpeg, and then rebuild it from ports with custom settings, I wonder if the old plugin has been doing that process ever since?

On 4/4/2021 at 11:36 AM, Baenwort said:

Yes this looks right to me. In the meantime, our unofficial plugin can also be used:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/iocage-amd64

MRobi
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Yes this looks right to me. In the meantime, our unofficial plugin can also be used:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/iocage-amd64

That will work fine on FreeNAS, but TrueNAS is now based on 12.0. But with that said, @Baenwort this could be used as a template for the community plugin with a couple tweaks to the jail and github version. 

alucryd

@MRobi Oh didn't know TrueNAS was on 12, thanks for the info. I'll create a new branch on this repo and make a package based on a 12 jail, this will enable installing our beta versions, and stable versions as well until the community plugin is fixed.

Baenwort
21 hours ago, alucryd said:

@MRobi Oh didn't know TrueNAS was on 12, thanks for the info. I'll create a new branch on this repo and make a package based on a 12 jail, this will enable installing our beta versions, and stable versions as well until the community plugin is fixed.

I've got a pull request in for the artefact.git file for the TrueNAS plug-ins but I don't know by who or how long it will take to be approved as I don't have write permission to the artefact repo.  The Emby plug-in is in a odd state in that the artefact.git was made by the company because this used to be a offical plug-in but is now in the community area.