FreeNAS plugin

Luke

Vidman

Does it work for you without having made any changes?

I seem to have it working now after fiddling around with permissions, the problem I have noticed now is that no videos will play on any of my android devices-either in the app or in chrome browser. Any ideas why this might be? I will try to do some more testing to try and narrow down what may be causing this

josh4trunks

@@embeathome if the plugin is starting I would think the MB webinterface should be accessible. you tried the link in the plugin menu?

a freenas install does seem drastic. most I would do (if you know you messed with permissions/ownership of the jails/plugins), would be delete all plugins, jails, delete your jail dataset, then reinstall a new plugin (which should recreate the jail dataset).

josh4trunks

@@Vidman, I'm having the same issue with my android phone/tablet. I just get a loading symbol, I can see ffmpeg churning away on the command line, but the video never starts.

josh4trunks

It said ffmpeg was missing the hls_base_url option, I disabled it in the app and I think things went further, but Im in 3G testing right now so its still not streaming. gonna try again on wifi

I include ffmpeg version 2.2.4 so I'll try updating to the latest freebsd has available and see if it can work with this option on and off.

EDIT

Still didn't work on WiFi, will provide logs when I have more time this weekend.

Edited by josh4trunks

Vidman

OK for me disabling hls works for the android app... But still no video using mobile chrome (desktop chrome does work however) or when using http streaming to remote kodi add-on instance. Sorry I can't be much more help ATM as I away from home for work for the next week... But I would like to get this working if possible

embeathome

oke guys, did what you suggested, uninstalled plugin which also deleted jail dataset, then i manually deleted jail warden template from freenas dashboard. Restarted freenas, installed plugin again and then it again works.

I believe saving metadata in media folders is better but i will rather use default folder for metadata so i don't need to play with user 989 and mess it again. Lets see, i definitely need to dig more to freenas to learn it better...

thanks for pointing me not to reinstall freenas ;)

• Like 1

embeathome

Today something very strange happened. After i set everything in MBS, i downloaded and installed some MBS plugins, it again asked me to restart to complete plugins installation. So i switched to freenas dashboard and found MBS plugin turned off. I tried to turn it on but "some error occured" I turned then off jail and turned on again, tried again to turn on plugin but no changes. Of course MBS dashboard turned to not responsive. So i tried to open log on server, but access denied despite i seen all files there. None of the files were accessible. So i restarted Freenas server and plugin auto-started. Very strange. Is this normal? Now everything is running...but until when? :(

Yes, strange issues continue. MBS plugin turns off itself somehow, while dashboard is accessible! However tried to play some trailers because no media in library and these wont play. 

EDIT: Restarted Freenas again, and plugin is on, trailers play. Don't know what's wrong here :( And until when it will work...

Edited by embeathome

josh4trunks

@@embeathome when you say the dashboard is accessible, you mean the MB webinterface? If that's still usable, MB probably hasn't crashed.

If you can't stop/start the plugin from the free as plugins menu, it might be the networking for the jail got screwed up.

I've noticed turning off VIMAGE, and setting an interface for my jails makes the networking for them much more stable.

embeathome

@@embeathome when you say the dashboard is accessible, you mean the MB webinterface? If that's still usable, MB probably hasn't crashed.

If you can't stop/start the plugin from the free as plugins menu, it might be the networking for the jail got screwed up.

I've noticed turning off VIMAGE, and setting an interface for my jails makes the networking for them much more stable.

Hi, yes, MB dashboard was accessible. Now all is working fine, so far. Lets see. Another strange thing is that when i inserted path substitution \\Freenas\Server...etc etc...then in media info in MBS the path was \\\Freenas\Server\...etc etc...

I remember this happened when i set it for the first time, so i deleted path substitution and inserted again. And it was OK. Now it doesn't work so i had to insert only 1 backslash which resulted to 2 backslashes in media info/path to media. Very strange but is ok for now.

I am able to turn off Vimage, but if you could explain in more dtls how to set up an interface for my jail...that would be great  ;)

Thanks

Martin

Edited by embeathome

josh4trunks

Hi, yes, MB dashboard was accessible. Now all is working fine, so far. Lets see. Another strange thing is that when i inserted path substitution \\Freenas\Server...etc etc...then in media info in MBS the path was \\\Freenas\Server\...etc etc...

I remember this happened when i set it for the first time, so i deleted path substitution and inserted again. And it was OK. Now it doesn't work so i had to insert only 1 backslash which resulted to 2 backslashes in media info/path to media. Very strange but is ok for now.

I am able to turn off Vimage, but if you could explain in more dtls how to set up an interface for my jail...that would be great  ;)

Thanks

Martin

When you disable VIMAGE the NIC drop down a  few options up because usable. Just choose whatever NIC that jail should reside on. You may only have one option.

This is the way jails normally work in freebsd, by using an alias IP on the interface directly. Not sure whan VIMAGE became standard in FreeNAS, but in my opinion it makes networking a little less relaible in the jail.

josh4trunks

@@Vidman

I just updated my phone to CM12, disabled HLS in the MB android app, and guess what, a movie just streamed flawlessly... weird.

Still not workingon my wife's TouchWiz Note tablet, which is where she'd actually watch it. Hoping to get this working eventually.

josh4trunks

So maybe a problem with the installed version of ffmpeg transcoding to hls?

That's definitely one issue, but disabling HLS in the app gets past that.

With the next FreeNAS release, I'll try bundling the latest ffmpeg and that should get that issue out of the way.

• Like 1

Vidman

Damn I think in playing around with permissions I've messed my jails up just like embeathome . after installing the latest freenas updates and rebooting I can no longer switch on my plugins... Could some experienced freenasser possibly do some kind of tutorial on how to set permissions to allow metadata to be saved to media folders.... Please?

Damn I think in playing around with permissions I've messed my jails up just like embeathome . after installing the latest freenas updates and rebooting I can no longer switch on my plugins... Could some experienced freenasser possibly do some kind of tutorial on how to set permissions to allow metadata to be saved to media folders.... Please?

I think your best bet may be asking this same question in the freenas forums and providing your log file.

josh4trunks

did you change permissions/ownership of your your plugins or jail datasets? Never do this.

Only every permissions/ownership of datasets you mount into your jail.

Vidman

I think your best bet may be asking this same question in the freenas forums and providing your log file.

I have logged a ticket with ixsystems already:)

Vidman

did you change permissions/ownership of your your plugins or jail datasets? Never do this.

Only every permissions/ownership of datasets you mount into your jail.

Thanks for the info... I'll try to remember that next time:)

woodsb02

I think you can add the new user to FreeNAS and change the permissions of you media shares to allow them write access without going to the console (all from the FreeNAS web interface). That might help make sure you don't change the incorrect things.

I personally don't like the metadata being saved into the same directory as my media. I like that it gets kept separate. For example, if (God forbid) I switch from MediaBrowser to plex, do the same format for storing metadata in the folders? If they don't, it would go download all the same stuff a second time and store it in the media folders a second time.

Better to keep mediabrowser stuff in its separate folder, in my opinion.

Since our default format is nfo, storing it in the media folders is great for kodi compatibility. and some people like to customize their artwork, so they don't want to see that lost when uninstalling software. so to each their own and that's why we offer the choice.

• Like 1

Vidman

I prefer to store the metadata in the media folder precisely so if i do change media software i won't have to redownload all the same stuff again...and actually kodi can co-exsist with mediabrowser if set to only use local metadata

whitestrat13

I disabled HLS on my HTC One M8.  On wifi, streaming starts for about 1-2 seconds and then stops.  I am promptly returned to the info page for the given movie/tv show in the android app.  I notice that ffmpeg is hanging on the server, and I have to kill the task using the shell in freenas.  Transcoding to the web client works just fine.  I have restarted both the freenas PC and the jail many times.  Any thoughts?

josh4trunks

I just recompiled the MB plugin (PBI) with the latest (available to freebsd) ffmpeg. Enabled HLS in the android app again and it works on all the android devices in my home now, skipping around the video even works great.

This is will be included in the next FreeNAS plugin release, whenever MB has an updated server release.

• Like 2