FreeNAS plugin

Luke

did you enable it in the metadata section? the task is only going to perform extractions on the video types that you've enabled it for.

• Like 1

whitestrat13

Thanks @@Luke.  That did it.  I haven't set up a MB server since I built my main server, shortly after MB3 was released.  I guess I'm a bit rusty.

woodsb02

I did have to add a user with User ID 989 and give it rights to the volume with my media on it to allow MBS to write metadata and images. I hope this can help anyone with a similar issue.

@@Luke - this is because I configured the MediaBrowser service to run as a dedicated user (with UID 989). This is to ensure that if an attacker was able to find a security flaw in the mono or MediaBrowser code base that allowed remote code execution, they would hopefully be restricted to the privileges of the dedicated user (very little), rather than immediately gaining root privileges on the computer. This is particularly important in FreeBSD where MediaBrowser may be running on the host computer, and less important on FreeNAS where it runs in a jail by default (restricting their privileges to within the jail).

The issue is that if MediaBrowser is run in a jail (as on FreeNAS), the dedicated user is only created within the jail (not on the host). If MediaBrowser needs write access to the media directory, the administrator would need to manually create a new user on the host (with UID 989), and add that user to a group that has write access to the media directories.

I didn't believe this to be a problem, as it was my understanding MediaBrowser only reads from the media directories, and saves metadata to the database directories where it has full write access (the database directories are owned by UID 989).

Does the MediaBrowser server ever write to the media directories? One example might be with camera photo upload from mobile phones...

yes there are settings that allow users to save metadata within media directories if they want

woodsb02

Ok - advise to any users of the FreeNAS plugin that are reading this, if you want to use the settings to save metadata within the media directories, you will have to create a FreeNAS user with UID 989 and give that user write access to the media folders (which would also have to be mounted read/write in the jail).

embeathome

Congrats on getting it working. As I mentioned you should test your direct path by trying to open a movie from that path in mpc. It's easy to forget a folder, I did the same thing at first.

Thanks! Yes, exactly that is what i did, copied complete path to MPC-HC and it didn't work...so i realized that the problem is not in MBS, MBT, MPC-HC, but between keyboard and chair :)

Anyway, thanks. MB(3) is the best! I also tried several other possibilities but finally found MB...

embeathome

Ok - advise to any users of the FreeNAS plugin that are reading this, if you want to use the settings to save metadata within the media directories, you will have to create a FreeNAS user with UID 989 and give that user write access to the media folders (which would also have to be mounted read/write in the jail).

Is this for sure? I don't have any user with UID 989 and it works, metadata writes etc...my volume permissions looks like below:

post-10423-0-13406500-1420553812_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Just playing with Metadata settings of some movies, since english is not my mother tongue, i am trying to set only pics to be downloaded and i plan to use movie info from MCM (csfd scraper). I now realized that i cannot delete pics already downloaded, fanarts etc...because of UID 989 rights...

Edited by embeathome

woodsb02

Is this for sure? I don't have any user with UID 989 and it works, metadata writes etc...

It's only if you have changed the MediaBrowser settings to write the metadata into the media directory, rather than the default directory.

embeathome

I did no changes there, actually MBS is set to save metadata into media folders. No matter if it saves or not to media folders, i cannot delete some stuff, see below (i created UID 989 anyway but i am not sure if i set permissions correctly since i am also new to Freenas)

post-10423-0-74722900-1420559076_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Set permission recursively did the trick, i can now delete files/folders. Let me again test writes of metadata to media folders...

Edited by embeathome

embeathome

Hm....i have serious problem here....just set all necessary in MBS, installed few MBS plugins, system asked me to restart server. So i restarted whole Freenas, but then MBS dashboard wont load anymore. So i checked Mediabrowser plugin and it is turned off. So i tried to turn it ON - not possible, no errors, plugin just doesn't start. So I uninstalled it, install again, in this case plugin started, so i set everything once again, restarted FreeNas again, and same issue. Plugin is stopped and not possible to run it again :(

Any ideas how to solve this? Thanks.

Edited by embeathome

Vidman

Just FYI when media browser asks you to restart you can just turn off then back on the media browser plugin in the freenas dashboard.... No need to restart the whole machine

Edited by Vidman

Vidman

I'm new to freeNAS too could you possibly explain this a bit more... Maybe with a few screenshots on how to set this up?:)

woodsb02

I'm new to freeNAS too could you possibly explain this a bit more... Maybe with a few screenshots on how to set this up?:)

You don't have to do anything. You only have to do this if you have changed the default MediaBrowser settings to store metadata into the media folders.

josh4trunks

you only really need to restart the freenas host when you have updates for it (the host) that require a restart.

restarting the MB plugin, and possibly the MB jail should be all you need to do for this plugin. If the plugin isn't responding it's probably a networking issue. I've noticed turning off VIMAGE and restarting the plugin's jail fixes this anytime I have an issue.

Hm....i have serious problem here....just set all necessary in MBS, installed few MBS plugins, system asked me to restart server. So i restarted whole Freenas, but then MBS dashboard wont load anymore. So i checked Mediabrowser plugin and it is turned off. So i tried to turn it ON - not possible, no errors, plugin just doesn't start. So I uninstalled it, install again, in this case plugin started, so i set everything once again, restarted FreeNas again, and same issue. Plugin is stopped and not possible to run it again :(

Any ideas how to solve this? Thanks.

Access the command prompt for the jail and try the command:

service mediabrowser restart

See what happens. I had to manually start the server from inside the jail after a recent reboot of the host machine.

No clue why it didn't work automatically, but the restart fixed it and it's been working fine since.

If it gives you an error, post it here and we'll see if we can help.

Vidman

You don't have to do anything. You only have to do this if you have changed the default MediaBrowser settings to store metadata into the media folders.

I store the metadata in the media folders

woodsb02

I store the metadata in the media folders

Does it work for you without having made any changes?

embeathome

Access the command prompt for the jail and try the command:

See what happens. I had to manually start the server from inside the jail after a recent reboot of the host machine.

No clue why it didn't work automatically, but the restart fixed it and it's been working fine since.

If it gives you an error, post it here and we'll see if we can help.

Oke thanks! I would do this in the evening, however could you please specify more in details steps how to do this since i am also new to freenas, i have no clue how to do it. Do you mean opening shell and if so, how to get into jail? And then, when i am there, just typing command as you described above and that's it?

EDIT: I was able to enter jails using shell command: cd /mnt/Storage_embe/jails but when i tried command "service mediabrowser restart" it returned following:

post-10423-0-92589900-1420611702_thumb.jpg

I am most probably doing something wrong here....

Edited by embeathome

Here is a step-by-step on how to gain shell access to your jail.  You really should know how to do this if you plan to use freenas effectively, as doing any maintenance or adding any customization to your jail will require you to access the jail directly.

This will be rudimentary to some, but I always make step-by-step guides assuming the person has little to no prior knowledge.

Step 1 - Access the freenas shell

zlHsAt6.png

Step 2 - type the command

jls

to determine what the JID is of your mediabrowser jail.   My mb3 JID is "5".

Step 3 - type the command 

jexec <JID> tcsh

V9DNY1B.png

Step 4 - you should see the prompt change to signify you are now have shell access to your jail.  Default jail name "mediabrowser_1", or whatever your jail name is, should be visible.  Type the command

If successful, the output should match similar to what is shown in the screenshot below.

26IzAYz.png

Pretty simple.  I don't know if this is all you need to do at this point, but we should get some info as to what is going on based on what tells us.  I unfortunately do not know where the mb3 logfile is stored (I tried looking, couldn't find it).  

embeathome

Perfect, thanks! Really appreciate. In between i found that jail shell is also accessible directly from dashboard in view jails. Anyway...still learning Freenas, i like it but sometimes is over my head...

I did the steps as you described, and got following below.... :(

post-10423-0-25708000-1420661994_thumb.jpg

In MBS dashboard, which is of course not accessible to me, in very 1st start page there are paths described where logs are stored. I seen it yesterday when i was searching for path where metadata are stored....

embeathome

attached - not sure if this is the right log, but found this in jails\mediabroswer_1\var\log (i tried to open with notepad /var/run/mediabrowser.pid but it was empty)

auth.log

Jan  6 22:09:26 mediabrowser_1 su: in openpam_check_desc_owner_perms(): /etc/pam.d/su: insecure ownership or permissions

Jan  6 22:09:26 mediabrowser_1 su: pam_start: system error

There is history on this error.  It is stating there is a permissions problem with that file.

Check here:

I like the solution of post #17.  chaging the permission of pam.d/* to 755 should get rid of that problem, but I would also check ownership as well.  

Good luck.

josh4trunks

When I see that PAM error I suggest you try installing another plugin and see if it works. thinks could get really complicated trying to fix it cause it's an underlying problem with the jail not specifically this plugin.

i would hope a fresh install of a second instance of MB works, then I'd just use that working instance.

embeathome

@@josh4trunks. Before Hisma replied, I uninstalled MB plugin and installed again. Plugin turns on without any issues but cannot access MBS dashboard.

It seems i played with restrictions too much so I believe now fresh install of Freenas will only solve it (of course if I would have more knowledge of freenas, I would be most probably able to solve it but I don't have - still learning it...)

woodsb02

A FreeNAS reinstall seems quite drastic for a plugin issue.

When you uninstall the MB plugin does it also delete the corresponding jail? If not, do that manually before reinstalling the MB plugin. That will ensure a fresh start with all the permissions in the plugin jail.