XBMB3C Stuttering

tadbitnerdy

tadbitnerdy

Hello all,

Just in the last few weeks I've noticed a stutter in my videos every minute or two, but sound is not affected.  It is almost like the video was slower than the audio, and then it needs to catch up, but the video and audio are never out of sync.  I thought my update to XBMC 13.2 might have caused the issue, but this didn't start happening until about a week after that update.  As suggested in other forums, I've changed my network speed to 100 Mbps from 40 in the XBMB3C.  Thinking it might be an XBMC issue, I tinkered with my audio settings.  Nothing fixed the issue.  Any help would be appreciated.  This isn't a normal stutter.  Up until now everything has played flawlessly through XBMB3C.

Setup:

Windows 7

XBMC 13.2 stable running Aeon MQ5 MB3 skin

XBMB3C setup to direct play from file server

Server Setup:

Windows Home Server 2011

MB3 Server

Network connections are CAT6 with Gigabit capable hardware.  Wireless is not used.

-Tad

xnappo

Close XBMC and open again, go into the XBMB3C settings and change log level to 1. Play a file and post a log. Need to be sure you are able to play from SMB, if you are then it is an XBMC problem and you would be better off in their forums.

xnappo

xnappo

Log looks clean, so I highly suspect you will see the same problem playing by browsing directly to the file. So - sorry but this is an XBMC issue.

xnappo

I have this exact same issue and it has also been going on for several weeks. All of my XBMC clients (including the Windows box hosting the MB3 server) have this video pause about every minute. It has been driving me nuts. Even browsing directly to the local file or SMB share and playing the video results in this video pause. I finally last night discovered that if I disable the XBMB3C add-on in XBMC and then play from the local file or SMB share, the video plays perfectly.

I would be happy to provide logs if anyone had an idea of which logs to look at. Does XBMB3C have its own logs separate from XBMC?

Server:

Windows 7

MB3 Server 3.0.5424.1

Clients:

Windows 7, Fire TV, OpenELEC

All running Gotham 13.2

All running XBMB3C v0.9.702 (I have been using the beta repo since it first became available)

im85288

Yes please follow the instructions in post number 2 and provide your xbmc log. There are many ways to upload the log but I would suggest using this method: http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Easy if you do follow that method of doing it you do not need to turn debug on in xbmc only in the xbmb3c addon.

• Like 1

im85288

No problem at all, unfortunately I cannot from the log say why it is happening. What I did notice is your using an Android system which I think struggles a bit with this addon. It also shows a lot of Discontinuity errors..which I presume is when the audio is stuttering:

1. 19:51:55 T:1865957976   DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity1 - was:2467954739.502381, should be:2468060999.999846error:106260.497465
  2. 19:51:55 T:1865957976   DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity1 - was:2468064723.144846, should be:2468171394.365343error:106671.220497

Have you tried playing the same file directly in Kodi/XBMC? If it plays fine directly then we know for sure it is the addon causing the problem with playback. 

Well, like I said in my previous post, playing directly it still stutters. But, if I disable or uninstall XBMB3C, it plays smoothly when playing directly. I have the same results on all of the following hardware:

Windows 7:

AMD Phenom II X4 955

GeForce GTX460

4GB

OpenELEC:

Dual Core Atom

Nvidia ION2

2GB

FireTV

Previously, all of these had been running smoothly with XBMB3C. Since I discovered that disabling the plugin makes the stutter go away, I have removed the beta version and installed from the stable repository. Same results. I have not yet looked into rolling back my server to a previous version, but am starting to think that may be part of it. Of course, this is purely based on speculation.

Also, there is no audio stutter. The audio always continues to play fine, but the video (and the time counter) hang for 1-4 seconds. There is never any kind of buffering involved, and everything is connected via gigabit Ethernet (though the FireTV is limited to 100Mbps)

Edited by ripper

xnappo

Only thing I can think of is that the background data refreshing is putting the hurt on it.

Try turning off all the services in the settings, restart and see if it goes away.

xnappo

Turning off all the services made no difference. This is driving me nuts. The Media Browser Theater client for Windows, Android, and Roku all play the content fluidly. It's only from XBMB3C that I have issues.

xnappo

Sorry, no ideas if it isn't the services.  If those are off, once playback starts it just XBMC.  

xnappo

I have no intentions of sounding like a dick because I love MB and all that you developers do to constantly improve it, but the simple fact that disabling the XBMB3C add-on makes video playback smooth disproves that.

xnappo

Well, if you disable all the services, XBMB3C isn't doing anything.  You are sure you restarted XBMC after disabling them all right?  XBMB3C is not running at all if they are all set to off and you browse via the XBMC database.  

xnappo

perhaps compare the playback methods between xbmc3c and xbmc. is one using the file system and the other streaming or transcoding through MBS? that could be it.

xnappo, I have restarted XBMC after modifying the services settings.

Luke, all of the content is "Direct Play" when through XBMB3C. And, even when playing directly from a local file (Server is also a client) or from an SMB share, there is stuttering while XBMB3C is enabled. Disabling or uninstalling XBMB3C makes the playback smooth. The issue plagues low bitrate SD the same as high bitrate HD.

I really want to suspect my server, but playback from the MB client on Android, Windows, and Roku is all smooth... on the exact same systems that have issues with XBMB3C. (Roku excluded, obviously)

xnappo

Very weird.  Like I said with the services off, playing through XBMC, the addon isn't doing anything...  If you want to be *really* sure, rename 'services.py' to something else temporarily.  That will make us absolutely positive nothing is running.

Have you tried different skins?

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

tadbitnerdy

Glad to know someone else is having the same issue... though I'm sorry that someone else is having this issue... so many emotions!

I have tried the same steps ripper has, with the same results.  Before this, I've also tried the skins Titan, Aeon Nox, and Aeon MQ5 (all XBMB3C versions), and get the same stuttering.

I guess I could go back to using XBMC as the database, but I really like having my season posters update every time a new season of a show is added, or the ability to resume a show from any of my devices.

I wonder if anyone has this issue with Kodi.

I also posted this on the XBMC forum, but I have received zero replies.  This was on the 11th.

Thanks!

-Tad

I have also been experiencing this video stutter for the last 2/3 weeks (on both windows 7 & FTV) I have uninstalled, reinstalled & updated XBMC but the problem remains, I was beginning to wonder whether my hard disk had errors and was planning on reinstalling windows.

So, it seems possible that a recent update to xbmb3c has introduced this bug.

If you require anything for me to test or logs, please let me know.

dark_slayer

Glad to know someone else is having the same issue... though I'm sorry that someone else is having this issue... so many emotions!

I have tried the same steps ripper has, with the same results.  Before this, I've also tried the skins Titan, Aeon Nox, and Aeon MQ5 (all XBMB3C versions), and get the same stuttering.

I guess I could go back to using XBMC as the database, but I really like having my season posters update every time a new season of a show is added, or the ability to resume a show from any of my devices.

I also posted this on the XBMC forum, but I have received zero replies.  This was on the 11th.

Thanks!

-Tad

Sorry for the two of you

I can't offer much help, but I can say that I've been using XBMB3C in w8.1, android, and openelec for a few months and I don't have these issues. I know, of course, that doesn't help you

Have you tried playback with minimal XBMC and XBMB3C logging (as in turned off)? It seems highly unprobable that logging would be an issue for playback, but maybe it could be an issue if you were debug logging and performance profiling xbmb3c? ~really just grasping at straws, sometimes when I throw out some dumb ideas it sparks other smarter peoples imaginations  ;)

Unfortunately yes, I updated to Kodi because of this problem hoping it may fix the issue but it still occurs.

xnappo

Please someone... Try what I said!  Rename service.py to something else, restart XBMC and tell me if the problem goes away.

xnappo

P.S. I am running on two Windows 7 machines and an OpenElec box and am not seeing this, so you guys need to help debug as there is no way for me to do it.

Renamed service.py and restarted. Still has the stutter. So far the only thing that clears it up is disabling the addon altogether.

I have tried other skins as well. Arctic, eminence, titan... all the same.