Ubuntu

Luke

An ssl certificate is required even on a local network? even if I don’t have a tick on the permission of remote access?

To use https, yes, but not to use http.

sfatula

An ssl certificate is required even on a local network? even if I don’t have a tick on the permission of remote access?

It is indeed, but note it doesn't have to be a PAID certificate. I use letsencrypt and their tool to help manage the updates certbot. The info is on their site and in some tutorials on this site. Once setup, it does take some effort, it just works. 

mastrmind11

Why would you care about SSL on a local network?  It's your network and your devices.

akarpych

I'm trying to configure https on an external network. But even on the local network, it doesn’t appear on https. I get a free certificate, collect it in the right container with a password, but it still does not work ....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ChristiaanCIVL

Hi

I am using Emby on my Ubuntu 16 ran Seedbox. It worked awesomly, but now it seems to crash all the time. We are mainly using it in combination with the SamungTV app.

How to generate a log file i can post?

Thanks!

Hi

I am using Emby on my Ubuntu 16 ran Seedbox. It worked awesomly, but now it seems to crash all the time. We are mainly using it in combination with the SamungTV app.

How to generate a log file i can post?

Thanks!

Hi there, please start a new topic and attach the information requested in how to report a problem. Thanks !

• 1 month later...
asdffdsa6131

hello and thanks for helping a newbie.

i have been running emby on windows server without problem.

it has a portable mode and so no install is required.

but on my ubuntu seedbox, i am forced to run an install

dpkg -i emby-server-deb_4.4.2.0_amd64.deb

but i get this error

"System has not been booted with systemd as init system (PID 1). Can't operate.
dpkg: error processing package emby-server (--install):
 installed emby-server package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1"

i am not a linux expert but systemd is for running applications as a service and for autostart.

as on windows, i run emby via command line.

so is there a way to run emby without systemd, to run, on demand, via command line?

thanks,

david

mastrmind11

the bigger question is why you don't have systemd on a modern distro.  Perhaps look into fixing that, since it's going to be a problem with pretty much everything else down the road.

• Like 1

TH3P1TBUL

hi i need some help with my server. i installed a second harddrive which i parted and mounted. now i want to add this to my movies library but emby does not see it. i have set the rights for the drive to 777 and emby is the owner.it still does not see it. the location is /media/bertflix(name of my user)/cb577859-364d-9fd1-be112fd8476c. when i type this into emby it sees media/bertflix but when i click it it goes back to blank. any ideas how to fix?

mastrmind11

hi i need some help with my server. i installed a second harddrive which i parted and mounted. now i want to add this to my movies library but emby does not see it. i have set the rights for the drive to 777 and emby is the owner.it still does not see it. the location is /media/bertflix(name of my user)/cb577859-364d-9fd1-be112fd8476c. when i type this into emby it sees media/bertflix but when i click it it goes back to blank. any ideas how to fix?

how did you mount the drive?  Thats a pretty strange folder name.

TH3P1TBUL

that doesn't explain the odd folder name.

what is the output of ls -l when run from /media/bertflix?

also paste the contents of your fstab

here you go5e9dc46f7aff4_Capture.png5e9dc47f91658_capture2.png

mastrmind11

here you go5e9dc46f7aff4_Capture.png5e9dc47f91658_capture2.png

Thats mounting the drive to /hdd.  None of this was in the tutorial you followed so I'm unsure how you got here.  The 2nd param needs to point to where you plan to mount the drive, so if you want it at that funky folder, you have to stick the whole path in your fstab.  If you run sudo mount -a, and navigate to /hdd, thats your new drive.  If it errors out, then that folder doesn't exist.  Either way, figure out where you want to mount the drive and edit fstab to reflect that.

TH3P1TBUL

Thats mounting the drive to /hdd.  None of this was in the tutorial you followed so I'm unsure how you got here.  The 2nd param needs to point to where you plan to mount the drive, so if you want it at that funky folder, you have to stick the whole path in your fstab.  If you run sudo mount -a, and navigate to /hdd, thats your new drive.  If it errors out, then that folder doesn't exist.  Either way, figure out where you want to mount the drive and edit fstab to reflect that.

i tried it but it still does not work. here are some screenshots. any ideas on what i am doing wrong?5e9f44ab93d3b_capture1.png5e9f44b365c45_capture2.png5e9f44bba2755_capture3.png5e9f44c3b717f_capture4.png

mastrmind11

i tried it but it still does not work. here are some screenshots. any ideas on what i am doing wrong?5e9f44ab93d3b_capture1.png5e9f44b365c45_capture2.png5e9f44bba2755_capture3.png5e9f44c3b717f_capture4.png

to start, you're mounting the wrong drive....  sda is your boot drive, sdb is your 2nd drive.  you can tell this by just looking at 1). the tutorial you said you followed and 2) your original fstab (which showed sdb as the drive you are mounting).

i recommend you try to understand what you're actually doing before copy+pasting stuff all over your system.  it can be pretty dangerous running commands on linux w/o knowing what you're actually doing.  

anyway, get the correct drive in fstab and you should be good to go...

• 1 month later...
michalb

Hi,

please bare with me, I'm new to Emby and also with limited knowledge of Linux (I know, bad mix)...

I installed the Emby few days ago on Ubuntu 20.04 and all is great !

Apart when I bought and installed Nvidia gtx1660 exclusively for video hardware transcoding.

I installed driver for Nvidia 440 from repository and the card is recognized by the system:

sudo lshw -C video
  *-display                 
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660]
       vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
       version: a1
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
       resources: irq:44 memory:ee000000-eeffffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:e0000000-e1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:c0000-dffff

I have only enabled Emby player, but from what I understand the server still should use the hardware for the task (hardware transcoding is selected in the server config). The app is enabled in Shield TV, and I did transcode test from my phone.  That does not ask for enabling so I assume it is ok (Nvidia and the phone share the same account)
If this is correct then I have a problem of  Emby not using the Nvidia because the Nvidia activity stays at the same level and the CPU is getting maxed out when transcoding.

So my question is, is the installing Nvidia drivers only, enough or should I do some more tasks to enable the hardware transcoding?
If it is enough, then what would be the next steps for troubleshooting ?
Thank you.

michalb

If tat is of any help:

EnablePlaybackRemuxing: True
        EnableVideoPlaybackTranscoding: True
        EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: True

>>>>>>  Affected codecs
Encoder libx264 Software Encoder
        Profiles: Baseline Profile (Level 6.2), Main Profile (Level 6.2), High Profile (Level 6.2), High 10 Profile (Level 6.2), High 4:2:2 Profile (Level 6.2), High 4:4:4 Predictive Profile (Level 6.2)

>>>>>>  FindVideoEncoder - Media: h264, UseHardwareCodecs: True, Mode: Automatic
Info    Checking: 'libx264 Software Encoder'
Info    Check successful - selecting 'libx264 Software Encoder'

>>>>>>  FindVideoDecoder - MediaType: hevc, Mode: Automatic
Info    Checking: 'Automatic software decoder'
Info    Check successful - selecting 'Automatic software decoder'

>>>>>>  Processing Plan
Info    Name                                        CanDoInHardware      WillDoInHardware     Reason                                  
Info    Automatic software decoder               >> False                False                Software Codec                           
Info    VideoInput                               >> False                False                Not a hardware decoder                   
Info    ColorConversion                          >> False                False                                                         
Info    SubtitleOverlay                          >> False                False                                                         
Info    VideoOutput                              >> False                False                Not a hardware encoder                   
Info    libx264 Software Encoder                 >> False                False                Software Codec                           

>>>>>>  Projected Processing Formats
Info    Previous                HW-Context   Format       SW-Format       Next
Info    hevc                 >> -            yuv420p10    yuv420p10    >> format
Info    format               >> -            yuv420p      yuv420p      >> overlay
Info    overlay              >> -            yuv420p      yuv420p      >> 

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
Risiamu
# arxher @ arxher-desktop in ~ [10:20:06]
$ sudo systemctl status emby-server
● emby-server.service - Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device.
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: signal) since Mon 2020-08-31 10:19:16 CST; 57s ago
 Main PID: 18714 (code=killed, signal=ABRT)

8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.StartupWizard
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.StartupWizard. Duration:
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.SystemEvents
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.SystemEvents. Duration:
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.UserDataChangeNotifier
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.UserDataChangeNotifier.
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Implementations.Channels.ChannelsEntryPoint
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Stack overflow.
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'signal'.
...skipping...
● emby-server.service - Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device.
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: signal) since Mon 2020-08-31 10:19:16 CST; 57s ago
 Main PID: 18714 (code=killed, signal=ABRT)

8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.StartupWizard
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.StartupWizard. Duration:
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.SystemEvents
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.SystemEvents. Duration:
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.UserDataChangeNotifier
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.UserDataChangeNotifier.
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Implementations.Channels.ChannelsEntryPoint
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Stack overflow.
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'signal'.

Meeting some stackoverflow problem. I am running this on Jetson Nano (ARMV8) Ubuntu 18.

It initialy works fine, but then i can't start it....