Ubuntu

Luke

The library scan I started in the "scheduled tasks" menu led to disappearing every media in my library.

€dit: I had a short look at the log and I can see emby trying to access to /var/lib/emby-server.... where it should now be /var/lib/emby.

I just read in the linked topic that I should have uninstalled the mono version first and just then install the new version. I did not do that! I just downloaded the package and installed it. May that be a cause of the problems?

To be honest for now I would rather go back to 3.2.70 on my "productive" system and play around with 3.3.0.0 on a VM, so both wouldn't interfere. Is there a way to do so without reinstalling emby? 

€dit2: Just found out something quite weird. Emby for Kodi has afaik his own local DB and so I can still see my library there although I can't see it in the WebInterface of the Emby Server. When I then tried to stream one file in Kodi it surprisingly worked and even started where I left the last time.

​How can that be?

Edited by neik

Just a heads up to anyone running an Emby Server beta package from OBS. In the next week or two we will be retiring the OBS beta channel.

Our website download page has been updated with beta install instructions:

https://emby.media/download

At your convenience it is recommended that you switch over to the new installation process as we will no longer be publishing betas to OBS. 

If you're running a non-beta (stable) package from OBS, you can continue to do so for the time being.

Thanks !

Wait isn't the new method less convenient? Instead of updating it with my system I have to wget and dpkg the .deb file everytime there is an update? Or am I missing something important?

Wait isn't the new method less convenient? Instead of updating it with my system I have to wget and dpkg the .deb file everytime there is an update? Or am I missing something important?

We will probably setup a repository in the future so that you can do that, however we're still a bit pre-occupied rolling this out to more platforms so we just haven't gotten there yet.

• Like 1

PremiumRed

I get this error when trying to update BETA:

root@iptvprem-5:~# dpkg -i emby-server-deb_3.3.0.2_amd64.deb

dpkg: regarding emby-server-deb_3.3.0.2_amd64.deb containing emby-server:

emby-server-beta conflicts with emby-server

emby-server (version 3.3.0.2) is to be installed.

dpkg: error processing archive emby-server-deb_3.3.0.2_amd64.deb (--install):

conflicting packages - not installing emby-server

Errors were encountered while processing:

emby-server-deb_3.3.0.2_amd64.deb

root@iptvprem-5:~#

I get this error when trying to update BETA:

root@iptvprem-5:~# dpkg -i emby-server-deb_3.3.0.2_amd64.deb

dpkg: regarding emby-server-deb_3.3.0.2_amd64.deb containing emby-server:

emby-server-beta conflicts with emby-server

emby-server (version 3.3.0.2) is to be installed.

dpkg: error processing archive emby-server-deb_3.3.0.2_amd64.deb (--install):

conflicting packages - not installing emby-server

Errors were encountered while processing:

emby-server-deb_3.3.0.2_amd64.deb

root@iptvprem-5:~#

It looks like you're trying to switch from the older OBS-based beta package to our new one. They are different and this will require uninstallation of the old package followed by installation of the new.

You might find it easier to just stay on the OBS package using the stable edition, as we're going to keep that going for a while longer. Thanks.

informaweb

I do like to beta test tho...

If I was to uninstall, would I loose all data, libraries etc?

Install "emby-server" instead of "emby-server-beta" and then update with "dpkg"

apt-get install emby-server
wget https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases/download/3.3.0.3/emby-server-deb_3.3.0.3_amd64.deb
dpkg -i emby-server-deb_3.3.0.3_amd64.deb

"apt-get" will replace "emby-server-beta" in "emby-server"

we do not lose anything like that

PremiumRed

I seem to have lost all of my library data... Is that normal?

Bit of a nightmare as scanning and ordering 800 series and 17000 movies is gona take days

UPDATE:

OKay, I found out why.... in Metadata admin, the root are showing like this:

/var/lib/emby-server/root/default/XXXXXXX instead of /var/lib/emby/root/default/XXXXXXX

How do I modify this?

Edited by PremiumRed

grayfados

Hi, 

Someone can explain to me two things? 

1) To update to new 3.3.0.3 version I just have to:

- apt-get install emby-server

- wget https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases/download/3.3.0.3/emby-server-deb_3.3.0.3_amd64.deb
    - dpkg -i emby-server-deb_3.3.0.3_amd64.deb

2) Doing this I will loose all of my libraries ?

I seem to have lost all of my library data... Is that normal?

Bit of a nightmare as scanning and ordering 800 series and 17000 movies is gona take days

UPDATE:

OKay, I found out why.... in Metadata admin, the root are showing like this:

/var/lib/emby-server/root/default/XXXXXXX instead of /var/lib/emby/root/default/XXXXXXX

How do I modify this?

@@PremiumRed are you all set now?

Hi, 

Someone can explain to me two things? 

1) To update to new 3.3.0.3 version I just have to:

- apt-get install emby-server

- wget https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases/download/3.3.0.3/emby-server-deb_3.3.0.3_amd64.deb

- dpkg -i emby-server-deb_3.3.0.3_amd64.deb

2) Doing this I will loose all of my libraries ?

@@grayfados, this is the beta server. are you already running the beta server?

PremiumRed

Hi @@Luke

No, I had to reinstall the stable version and rescan all libraries again. Im on 30% of library scan since last night. This will take a few days.

Why did this happen?

The error was because of the folder “emby-server” changing to “emby”.

Before I downgraded to BETA, I ran a full library scan and no content was appearing thats why I decided to downgrade to stable.

Hi @@Luke

No, I had to reinstall the stable version and rescan all libraries again. Im on 30% of library scan since last night. This will take a few days.

Why did this happen?

The error was because of the folder “emby-server” changing to “emby”.

Before I downgraded to BETA, I ran a full library scan and no content was appearing thats why I decided to downgrade to stable.

I don't have a full grasp of everything that you did, and also it sounds like this involves both the new and the old installation packages, so I don't quite have complete answers for you. What I would have done is just stayed exactly as you were but kept on going with the OBS packages on stable.

grayfados

How did you install this version?

- dpkg -i emby-server-deb_3.2.7.0_amd64.deb

Edit: 

But when I put apt-get update I get this:

W: GPG error: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/xUbuntu_16.04 Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 0A506F712A7D8A28

N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.
Edited by grayfados

hi @@grayfados, you don't use apt-get update. To update to the latest version, you simply go back to our download page:

https://emby.media/download

And follow the install instructions again, and it will install the latest on top of your existing version. Thanks.

neik

@@Luke, I had exactly the same problem as @@grayfados. After installing the new 3.3 (dpkg-method) over 3.2.70 (apt-get method) I my library was corrupted. Is it possible to go from the old version to the new one without rescanning the complete library?

@@Luke, I had exactly the same problem as @@grayfados. After installing the new 3.3 (dpkg-method) over 3.2.70 (apt-get method) I my library was corrupted. Is it possible to go from the old version to the new one without rescanning the complete library?

What does corrupted mean exactly?

neik

Well, the images weren't loaded anymore and I wasn't able to play any file. I suppose it has to do with the folder change from /var/lib/emby-server to /var/lib/emby. 

Well, the images weren't loaded anymore and I wasn't able to play any file. I suppose it has to do with the folder change from /var/lib/emby-server to /var/lib/emby. 

Right, we have been recommending that people stay on the OBS packages and use apt-get update. I know you want to switch over to the newer packages but currently that requires a fresh install.

grayfados

So, can you describe here step-by-step how to completely uninstall and get a fresh new install with apt-get?

And the is a way to export users data?

Edited by grayfados

neik

Right, we have been recommending that people stay on the OBS packages and use apt-get update. I know you want to switch over to the newer packages but currently that requires a fresh install.

So, in future we will be able to update as we did before using the repository? Because currently the latest version on the repo is still 3.2.70 and not 3.3

€dit: Well, actually I do not want to update to 3.3 right now because of the SSL problems which don't appear in 3.2.70 but in future sure I want to update.

Edited by neik