Ubuntu

Luke

mastrmind11

I think I have multiple Emby servers running on my computer but I cannot figure out how to troubleshoot this. When I use the htop command on my server computer it shows multiple entries for MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe. They all have different PID but at least one of them is always at the top of the MEM%. Sometimes there are two entries at the top that seem to show the same thing. Just different PID's.

I am looking into this because every now and then movies on the AFTv just stop playing. It doesn't disconnect from Emby but it will just stop. If I press play on it again, it will play again right away, but there is no option to resume from a certain location. There is always an option to resume if I used the stop/back button on the remote.

Any help would be much appreciated as I do not know where to start. I don't think it is AFTv related but it may be.

Use htop in tree view... I think it's F10.  That'll show you the master process and all slaves under it in tree form.  But I doubt you have multiple instances running.  Have you checked your logs when this happens?  When I run into weird issues I generally tail -f the log files and watch in real time while something breaks. I find it easier than grepping/scrolling the log for errors and then trying to match it with a timeframe.  Is your box transcoding the media when this happens?  If so, check the transcode logs as well.

Edited by mastrmind11

thatoneguy99

Ok so I am not sure about tail -f. Sounds interesting and what I am looking for. I will look into that to try and see something happen in real time. It is hit or miss so it may be difficult to see.

Also I am attaching a photo of my htop in tree view. There seems to be tons and tons of slaves for Emby. Maybe its supposed to be that way but I am not sure. If you were able to scroll down on my screenshot you would see that the list goes on for probably two pages. Again if it is supposed to be that way please let me know. If a log would help with anything please let me know.

Screenshot_from_2016_12_08_17_27_44.jpg

mastrmind11

Ok so I am not sure about tail -f. Sounds interesting and what I am looking for. I will look into that to try and see something happen in real time. It is hit or miss so it may be difficult to see.

Also I am attaching a photo of my htop in tree view. There seems to be tons and tons of slaves for Emby. Maybe its supposed to be that way but I am not sure. If you were able to scroll down on my screenshot you would see that the list goes on for probably two pages. Again if it is supposed to be that way please let me know. If a log would help with anything please let me know.

Screenshot_from_2016_12_08_17_27_44.jpg

This doesn't look like tree view, but regardless, yes there are a ton of spawned processes.  The master process is the guy w/ the biggest number under the Time+ column.  Either way, your mem consumption is in line w/ an idle Emby so I wouldn't be concerned.  But again, you need to get an idea of what htop looks like when you experience the issue, as well as the logs when it happens.

Edited by mastrmind11

thatoneguy99

Will do. As long as it seems normal with all of the spawned processes then I will leave that alone. I will try and get something together log wise for when it happens again.

It only happens on AFTV. It does not happen on iOS or Kodi HTPC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jdiesel

You can provide any ffmpeg version to emby, just place the binaries into /usr/loca/bin. You can find the latest static version here:

https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/

That's part of the problem, the latest 3.2 builds are causing a lot of issues with transcoding. I wasn't able to find a static build of 2.8.8. That being said the 16.04 beta server package seems to work great. Just wondering if we will see something similar for the next stable build.

Edit: Or am I just missing something and 2.8.8 is the default system version for 16.04?

Edited by Jdiesel

Jdiesel

That's part of the problem, the latest 3.2 builds are causing a lot of issues with transcoding. I wasn't able to find a static build of 2.8.8. That being said the 16.04 beta server package seems to work great. Just wondering if we will see something similar for the next stable build.

Edit: Or am I just missing something and 2.8.8 is the default system version for 16.04?

It appears that is the case. I just assumed that 16.04 was using FFmpeg 3.2 and that the Emby Server packages were including FFmpeg static build with them. I guess I was wrong.

hurricanehrndz

It appears that is the case. I just assumed that 16.04 was using FFmpeg 3.2 and that the Emby Server packages were including FFmpeg static build with them. I guess I was wrong.

Emby will download ffmpeg static builds. I don't think right now it downloads any in the 3.X range, but by default it will use what is on the system preferably

Hi,

I have a server running with an ivy bridge celeron g3220.

Do you think it will be powerfull enough to transcode my 1080p to 720p for smartphones and tablets?

For my understanding, the most easier way is to use 16.04 LTS kernel, and download the ffmpeg provided in this post.
Then configure emby to vaapi (with the correct card parameter)

Sadly my server is on OMV, with an old 3.4 debian kernel I guess.

I can upgrade to version 3, with a 4.5 kernel, but how to check if it will be working with emby transcoding?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
aequoushumor

I'm unable to upgrade to the latest beta version (3.1.263)

Looks like the latest version available in the repository is 3.1.261

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
emby-server-beta is already the newest version (3.1.261~beta-15.1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

• 2 weeks later...
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 emby-server : Depends: libembysqlite3-0 but it is not installable
               Depends: embymagick but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

"dpkg --get-selections | grep hold" doesn't show anything. Tried this fix with no luck

(Reading database ... 207455 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack libjpeg8_8d1-2_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking libjpeg8:arm64 (8d1-2) over (8d1-2) ...
Setting up libjpeg8:arm64 (8d1-2) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu5) ...

Still same error. Currently running Version 3.0.8500.0 and wanting to update to latest

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package embymagick is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'embymagick' has no installation candidate

uname -r
3.14.79-96

clarkss12

For several days, I have been struggling to get Emby server installed on my $40 Android TV box running Ubuntu 16.04 without sucess.  I kept getting the same message

"The following packages have unmet dependencies:

emby-server : Depends: libembysqlite3-0 but it is not installable
Depends: embymagick but it is not installable"

As the saying goes, keep doing the same thing, you get the same results.  Soooooooo, even though I am running Ubuntu 16.04, I tried the  "For xUbuntu 14.04 run the following" instructions, walla, it worked......... Now I will see how this low powered Amlogic S905x SoC works as a server.  One problem that may be a bottle neck is that is does not have gigbit Ethernet.

So for several days, I kept using the instructions for the Xbuntu 16.04 and it did not have the correct files..........

• Like 2

Just uninstall and reinstall

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Didn't work:

ubuntu 16.04 ARMv8 64bit

/Edit: Seems like this works (have the same SoC), thank you. Maybe something that should be looked into:

For several days, I have been struggling to get Emby server installed on my $40 Android TV box running Ubuntu 16.04 without sucess.  I kept getting the same message

"The following packages have unmet dependencies:

emby-server : Depends: libembysqlite3-0 but it is not installable

Depends: embymagick but it is not installable"

As the saying goes, keep doing the same thing, you get the same results.  Soooooooo, even though I am running Ubuntu 16.04, I tried the  "For xUbuntu 14.04 run the following" instructions, walla, it worked......... Now I will see how this low powered Amlogic S905x SoC works as a server.  One problem that may be a bottle neck is that is does not have gigbit Ethernet.

So for several days, I kept using the instructions for the Xbuntu 16.04 and it did not have the correct files..........

Edited by Kiina

hurricanehrndz

We have specific arm instructions and a specific thread for installing on arm devices. In the thread we clearly state use the Ubuntu 14.04 repo. I'm not sure how more specific we can be. Suggestions are welcome

Edited by hurricanehrndz

clarkss12

We have specific arm instructions and a specific thread for installing on arm devices. In the thread we clearly state use the Ubuntu 14.04 repo. I'm not sure how more specific we can be. Suggestions are welcome

I have been reading for days, but I did not see that.  Perhaps, I was not understanding what it was tellling me.  Perhaps, you can Make it it bold text and have roman candles going off to show us slow learners what we need to do. 

BTW, thanks for creating the ability to run Emby server on these low powered ARM devices.

clarkss12

Didn't work:

ubuntu 16.04 ARMv8 64bit

/Edit: Seems like this works (have the same SoC), thank you. Maybe something that should be looked into:

Which device do you have?? 

hurricanehrndz

Lol, you're very welcome. In all seriousness though if you have any suggestions let us know. I have asked Luke to ensure that instructions are available on the main page, hopefully they are now. Perhaps a caveat in the Ubuntu instructions are necessary. Ps sorry you lost a couple of day, but thank you for preserving and reporting back. Hope you enjoy. Also if you are interested we also have a docker that runs on arm architectures.

clarkss12

Lol, you're very welcome. In all seriousness though if you have any suggestions let us know. I have asked Luke to ensure that instructions are available on the main page, hopefully they are now. Perhaps a caveat in the Ubuntu instructions are necessary. Ps sorry you lost a couple of day, but thank you for preserving and reporting back. Hope you enjoy. Also if you are interested we also have a docker that runs on arm architectures.

I have no idea what a "locker" is, hahaha.  I am just learning Linux.  My goal is to see how these very inexpensive pieces of hardware can effectively server as an Emby server.  Most of my client devices support all the media codes that I have, so no transcoding is needed.  However, I still have not wrapped my head around the subtitles situation.  If I enable subtitles, then my media wants to transcode, and these low powered devices do not have the computing power to transcode on the fly.

Well when I first had this issue the topic wasn't there. The only source was the dietpi github issue. The ARM topic isn't linked in https://emby.media/linux-server.html so it's kind of hard to find.

But is it not possible to put the arm stuff in the 16.04 repo? Seems kinda strange

Which device do you have?? 

odroid-c2

clarkss12

Well when I first had this issue the topic wasn't there. The only source was the dietpi github issue. The ARM topic isn't linked in https://emby.media/linux-server.html so it's kind of hard to find.

But is it not possible to put the arm stuff in the 16.04 repo? Seems kinda strange

odroid-c2

Ok, that board has gigabit Ethernet, awesome.  I guess you are running Ubuntu 16.04 and installed the Emby server installed on that?  Have you tried it yet, or is this your first attempt?  All my media is stored on my NAS's (networked area storage), so I have to mount the locations of my folders in my NAS into Ubuntu.  That was a major learning curve for me on how to do that.  Anyway, keep us updated on how it is working for you as a server.  

I was using my Pine64 (Allwinner SoC) as one of my Emby servers, but when I updated the Ubuntu version it killed it.  But it worked great when I had it installed.

Ok, that board has gigabit Ethernet, awesome.  I guess you are running Ubuntu 16.04 and installed the Emby server installed on that?  Have you tried it yet, or is this your first attempt?  All my media is stored on my NAS's (networked area storage), so I have to mount the locations of my folders in my NAS into Ubuntu.  That was a major learning curve for me on how to do that.  Anyway, keep us updated on how it is working for you as a server.  

I was using my Pine64 (Allwinner SoC) as one of my Emby servers, but when I updated the Ubuntu version it killed it.  But it worked great when I had it installed.

been using it as cheap nas/kodi/emby box for some time now. For the price I can't complain. A lot better then my raspberrypi and with x265/4k support