Ubuntu

Luke

hurricanehrndz

OK guys, I'm still not getting emby to work completely and I don't know if it's a configuration problem or if it was in the original installation on Ubuntu 14.04. Right now it appears to be working, but I am getting "Video Error: There was an error playing the video" pop-up when I try to play a video.

I don't know if I should try to clean out my installation and start all over again, or proceed from here and try to see if someone can help me get it to work.

Luke & hurricanehernandez were helpful, but I'm still stuck. I've read a lot on this forum and found that at least some people had a lot of trouble installing emby on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

I've also seen posts referring to a lot of the same error messages I'm seeing in the log files.

hurricanehernandez, if that offer to help me still stands, I'd like to try.

Sorry, my profile time zone was wrong. I'm not in Casablanca.

Yes the offer still stands. My timezone MST, anytime between 9 and 3 am is usually okay for me.

hurricanehrndz

Well I'm in a better state.  I noticed if I let it start to the default path it would start.  So I renamed my emby data folder and let it start up to the spot I wanted and it started.  Stopped it and copied over my config/system.xml as well as metadata, data, and plugin folder from the old folder.  It starts but I have no library and no entries in Media Library->Folders.  I do have my path substitutions as I saw they were in the system.xml.

Is there a file I'm missing to get the library and folders back or do I need to readd folder entries, rescan, and then go cleanup misidentified items again?

You can't move the library folders, unfortunately emby doesn't support moving the files. You can try having your files in the original spot and editing the /etc/default file.

drhill

Actually just by adding the paths the library seemed to come back fine.

Most of my matching issues were because of missing years.  There were a few goofy ones but I can't remember what those where.  Although there is one thing you could fix.  "lost+found" folder shows up.  Would be nice to exclude that and for some reason one of them (of 3 that are discovered) comes up as "History's Lost+Found".

Thanks for the help.

Edited by drhill

richardgoldthorpe

I have just upgraded to Version 3.0.5675.1 on Ubuntu 14.04 and my system no longer sees any of my media. I have all my files on internal hard drives with a folder on each containing movies or shows. The paths to the media are correct but nothing is found, and when I look at changing the path, the system can see the disks but no folders on them. Prior to the upgrade everything was working well. Any ideas what has happened.

I have just upgraded to Version 3.0.5675.1 on Ubuntu 14.04 and my system no longer sees any of my media. I have all my files on internal hard drives with a folder on each containing movies or shows. The paths to the media are correct but nothing is found, and when I look at changing the path, the system can see the disks but no folders on them. Prior to the upgrade everything was working well. Any ideas what has happened.

Please provide more info: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/

osborni

I could take the time to post some pictures of the following, but it still won't change what I said:

It seams to be creating 0 kb image files (poster, banner. logo, fanart) and it will fail to download the image if I do a "Browse Image > download". System says "error downloading to /../../ folder" I can download the image into the movie folder just fine and it will work. I can then press the "download" button and it will recognize the image and make the association in the metadata-manager.

It doesn't seam to matter if I wait for the overnight library update or force a manual library update. 9/10 times it will fail. 

I am running Ubuntu 14.04, server is Version 3.0.5675.1

I have the movies on a Synology DS712+ with the latest software - DSM 5.2-5592 Update 1.

I typically use a WIndows 7 client machine to view the movies.

It simply isn't downloading the art as it should. It worked fine ~3 updates ago, but not now.

well that's how problems get solved so if you decide you'd like to participate in a little teamwork we are here and ready to look into it.

osborni

OK - I attached the latest log files from today.

The system will not download image files on the scan or write to the .nfo file.

To upload episode or movie images, I need to manually save the image file into the folder with the default name (poster, banner, etc.), then click the "download" button on the image browser. The image file is then recognized.

The last version would display an error at the lower left. The current version does not display anything, it just sits there. The "browse online images" will spin a little circle for a moment after I press the "download" button, then doesn't exit. I have to close it manually.

It seams to not be able to automatically scan for new content then save the movie or TV episode image files. I have to do that manually.

.nfo files are all 0 kb after I upload a new movie and do a scan. I've let the system do it's own scheduled scan, I've re-booted the server computer and I've manually forced scans. All with the same result

I tried to delete all nfos and images and do a "fresh" scan, but same result.

It worked fine ~3-4 updates ago, but not now.

Ubuntu 14.04 - server computer

Synology DS712+ - file server

Windows 7 - client

server-63573426141.txt

server-63573427841.txt

unhandled_dd5bdd86-4bbf-47ac-854f-6b4a4176c5a1.txt

server-63573379200.txt

server-63573292800.txt

Edited by osborni

It's saying it can't acquire a port for the server. Do you have a log from the previous server run? it would be helpful to find out why it stopped running. You can probably fix this just by rebooting your system.

fbrassin

I managed to solve.

Emby-server was present using ps aux but someown it didn't work and was able to kill it usin service emby-server stop or restart.

I had to manually kill emby and there i was able to start it.

I don't know what happened.

Tnx anyway

hurricanehrndz

Probably used emby restart feature within the web interface. The feature doesn't work well with the init script at this moment

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

fbrassin

Probably used emby restart feature within the web interface. The feature doesn't work well with the init script at this moment

Probably made it after autoupdate. I didn't know it wasn't working fine.

hurricanehrndz

It does work! It is just not integrated with the system script

fbrassin

It does work! It is just not integrated with the system script

What do you mean with system script?

hurricanehrndz

The service script. The restart function doesn't let the service script know that there has been a pid change. So service command no longer really work. I'm going to try and fix it soon.

fbrassin

The service script. The restart function doesn't let the service script know that there has been a pid change. So service command no longer really work. I'm going to try and fix it soon.

How fast you are!! :-)

Tnx for your answer.

osborni

When Emby tries to write files (like images) to the NAS, what user is it using?

(Ubuntu server and a Synology NAS for the library)

Edited by osborni

hurricanehrndz

It uses uid=99 and GID=100. Which can be changed by the user by supply the appropriate environment variables via the run command. Please visit the docker page for more info.

osborni

I did a bit of an experiment. I removed all files from a select folder but for the .mkv to see what would happen

Before and after I forced a "identification" on 300

ian@ubuntu-basement:/media/diskstation/movies$ ls -l /media/diskstation/movies/300
total 5327271
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ian users 5455120777 Nov 25  2014 300.2006.mkv
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ian users       3919 Jul 30 19:43 300.2006.nfo

ian@ubuntu-basement:/media/diskstation/movies$ ls -l /media/diskstation/movies/300
total 5330717
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ian users 5455120777 Nov 25  2014 300.2006.mkv
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ian users      27879 Jul 30 20:02 300.2006.nfo
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ian users     232462 Jul 30 20:02 banner.jpg
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ian users     666799 Jul 30 20:02 clearart.png
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ian users    1325445 Jul 30 20:02 disc.png
drwxrwxrwx 2 ian users          0 Jul 30 20:02 extrafanart
drwxrwxrwx 2 ian users          0 Jul 30 20:02 extrathumbs
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ian users     311127 Jul 30 20:02 fanart.jpg
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ian users     437917 Jul 30 20:02 landscape.jpg
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ian users     127771 Jul 30 20:02 logo.png
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ian users      26218 Jul 30 20:02 movie.xml
-rwxrwxrwx 1 ian users     374293 Jul 30 20:02 poster.jpg

and on Pirates of the Caribbean #1

ian@ubuntu-basement:/media/diskstation/movies$ ls -l /media/diskstation/movies/Pirates_of_The_Caribbean_1080p/Pirates.of.the.Caribbean.1.The.Curse.of.the.Black.Pearl.2003
total 4792364
-rw-r--r-- 1 ian users          0 Jul 30 19:49 movie.xml
-rw-rw-rw- 1 ian users 4907380308 Jul 30 02:36 PoC1_The_Curse_of_the_Black_Pearl_2003-1080p.mkv
-rw-r--r-- 1 ian users          0 Jul 30 19:49 PoC1_The_Curse_of_the_Black_Pearl_2003-1080p.nfo
-rw-r--r-- 1 ian users          0 Jul 30 19:49 poster.jpg
drwxrwxrwx 2 ian users          0 Jul 30 02:36 ScreenShot
ian@ubuntu-basement:/media/diskstation/movies$ ls -l /media/diskstation/movies/Pirates_of_The_Caribbean_1080p/Pirates.of.the.Caribbean.1.The.Curse.of.the.Black.Pearl.2003
total 4792364
-rw-r--r-- 1 ian users          0 Jul 30 19:49 movie.xml
-rw-rw-rw- 1 ian users 4907380308 Jul 30 02:36 PoC1_The_Curse_of_the_Black_Pearl_2003-1080p.mkv
-rw-r--r-- 1 ian users          0 Jul 30 19:49 PoC1_The_Curse_of_the_Black_Pearl_2003-1080p.nfo
-rw-r--r-- 1 ian users          0 Jul 30 19:49 poster.jpg
drwxrwxrwx 2 ian users          0 Jul 30 02:36 ScreenShot

300 worked, Pirates did not.

Still reading up on the docker page.

• 2 weeks later...

Notice: due to issues found in the init scripts included in the latest Debian/Ubuntu Emby packages available in the official repository that will prevent Emby service to start we encourage you to wait until further notice to update your Emby package.

In case you already installed the faulty packages please check this thread http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24278-new-emby-initd-script-not-working/ in the support forum for a workaround to start Emby service, provided by one of the users in the forum.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

aaronouthier
Using Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS also. Unable to get the service to stay running.
I tried to run manually with
sudo mono /usr/lib/emby-server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
and I can pull up the web server remotely. However, I am noting the following displayed on stderr:
(gnome-open:17137): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11
GConf Error: No D-BUS daemon running

Error showing url: Operation not supported

Ubuntu Server does not install xwindows, xfree, or xorg, etc. by default, so perhaps this is part of the issue.

I just released a new package revision for Debian/Ubuntu that should fix the startup scripts issues.

I could only test with Ubuntu 14.04 fresh install so please if anyone out there can try the new packages and give some feedback I will really appreciate it.

These are only package revisions to fix the problems reported with the startup scripts (upstart), they are not a new Emby release.

Thanks.

Edited by fc7
  • Like 1

Hi everybody 

as for now I had no luck installing the server on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (also not on a raspberry pi 2 with issues installing imagemagick, but this is another story).

Following the official tutorial I try to get the apt-key first:

wget -qO - http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:emby/{Repository}/Release.key | sudo apt-key add -

Which does not work for me as the OpenPGP-Data is not found.

Then I use the debian (tried 7 and 8) instructions and added the repositories - that works.

Then I cannot install libsqlite3-dev imagemagick-6.q8 libmagickwand-6.q8-2 libmagickcore-6.q8-2 as they do not seem to exsist. I tried to resolve the dependencies by using aptitude - no success.

I'm getting kind of desperate ;-).

Any ideas?

Elaiel

Hi everybody

as for now I had no luck installing the server on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (also not on a raspberry pi 2 with issues installing imagemagick, but this is another story).

Following the official tutorial I try to get the apt-key first:

wget -qO - http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:emby/{Repository}/Release.key | sudo apt-key add - 
Which does not work for me as the OpenPGP-Data is not found.

Then I use the debian (tried 7 and 8) instructions and added the repositories - that works.

Then I cannot install libsqlite3-dev imagemagick-6.q8 libmagickwand-6.q8-2 libmagickcore-6.q8-2 as they do not seem to exsist. I tried to resolve the dependencies by using aptitude - no success.

I'm getting kind of desperate ;-).

Any ideas?

Elaiel

Please read the installation instructions carefully before copying and pasting commands.

It's very clear that you need to replace "{Repository}" with the correct value for your distro. In your case xUbuntu_14.04.

Edited by fc7