Ubuntu

Luke

hiro24

what browser did you test with? i just tried with chrome and it seemed to be fine

If you're referring to me, I tested mine w/ chrome

geaves

I decided to install on my Ubuntu server, but I have run into a couple of problems....

Dashboard tells me there is an update, so I ran the usual sudo apt-get update and I got a 404 not found from launchpad.

Also I cannot path substitution to work as the movie folders/files are located on a Nas but as an smb share, I have read through here and tried smb://<servername>/<sharename>/ restarted the service but nothing. The other option was to perhaps edit fstab and see if it worked that way.

Many thanks.

hurricanehrndz

Please wait for the new installation instructions to be posted on the site. The ppa has been killed.

geaves

Please wait for the new installation instructions to be posted on the site. The ppa has been killed.

Thanks, should I do a remove and wait.... :)

hiro24

Also I cannot path substitution to work as the movie folders/files are located on a Nas but as an smb share, I have read through here and tried smb://<servername>/<sharename>/ restarted the service but nothing. The other option was to perhaps edit fstab and see if it worked that way.

I have a NAS and it works fine, but similar to what you said, I have my share automounted on boot via fstab so emby thinks it's just part of the filesystem

hurricanehrndz

Thanks, should I do a remove and wait.... :)

Yes, don't purge though if you do not wish to rebuild your library.

geaves

I have a NAS and it works fine, but similar to what you said, I have my share automounted on boot via fstab so emby thinks it's just part of the filesystem

I've 'nearly' got that sorted.... ;)  think I have made an error somewhere because doing sudo mount -a I needed a password....but it's moving in the right direction....at least they started to populate the folder  :)

geaves

Yes, don't purge though if you do not wish to rebuild your library.

Ok, just followed your new install options, but it errors on pgp value, don't know if this is relevant.....

hurricanehrndz

Please post error

Full error. And full commands

Edited by hurricanehernandez

geaves

Please post error

Full error. And full commands

Retried the instructions again this morning, and no errors,  :P thank you.

However, I am getting emby-server: unrecognised service when executing sudo service emby-server start.

EDIT: Scratch that found this sudo apt-get install --reinstall emby-server searching the forums and it now works.  :) 

Edited by geaves

franky384

Unable to install on Ubuntu14.04 armhf and also on Debian 7 and 8 armhf.

The repos seem to be messed up. A lot of unfixable errors

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

mono-devel : Depends: libmono-2.0-dev (>= 4.0.1.43-0) but 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 is to be installed.

libmono-tasklets4.0-cil : Depends: mono-runtime (>= 4.0.1.43) but 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 is to be installed.

libmono-i18n4.0-cil : Depends: mono-runtime (>= 4.0.1.43) but 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 is to be installed.

libmono-custommarshalers4.0-cil : Depends: mono-runtime (>= 4.0.1.43) but 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 is to be installed.

emby-server : Depends: libmagickwand-6.q8-2 which is a virtual package.

libmono-debugger-soft4.0a-cil : Depends: mono-runtime (>= 4.0.1.43) but 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 is to be installed.

libmono-corlib4.5-cil : Depends: mono-runtime (>= 4.0.1.43) but 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 is to be installed.

libmono-i18n-cjk4.0-cil : Depends: mono-runtime (>= 4.0.1.43) but 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 is to be installed.

mono-runtime-common : Depends: mono-gac (= 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1) but 4.0.1.43-0 is to be installed.

libmono-system4.0-cil : Depends: mono-runtime (>= 4.0.1.43) but 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 is to be installed.

libmono-system-configuration4.0-cil : Depends: mono-runtime (>= 4.0.1.43) but 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 is to be installed.

libmono-system-web4.0-cil : Depends: mono-runtime (>= 4.0.1.43) but 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 is to be installed.

open: 308; closed: 187; defer: 284; conflict: 745 The following packages have unmet dependencies:

mono-devel : Depends: libmono-2.0-dev (>= 4.0.1.43-0) but 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 is to be installed.

libmono-tasklets4.0-cil : Depends: mono-runtime (>= 4.0.1.43) but 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 is to be installed.

libmono-i18n4.0-cil : Depends: mono-runtime (>= 4.0.1.43) but 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 is to be installed.

libmono-custommarshalers4.0-cil : Depends: mono-runtime (>= 4.0.1.43) but 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 is to be installed.

libmono-debugger-soft4.0a-cil : Depends: mono-runtime (>= 4.0.1.43) but 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 is to be installed.

libmono-corlib4.5-cil : Depends: mono-runtime (>= 4.0.1.43) but 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 is to be installed.

libmono-i18n-cjk4.0-cil : Depends: mono-runtime (>= 4.0.1.43) but 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 is to be installed.

mono-runtime-common : Depends: mono-gac (= 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1) but 4.0.1.43-0 is to be installed.

libmono-system4.0-cil : Depends: mono-runtime (>= 4.0.1.43) but 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 is to be installed.

libmono-system-configuration4.0-cil : Depends: mono-runtime (>= 4.0.1.43) but 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 is to be installed.

libmono-system-web4.0-cil : Depends: mono-runtime (>= 4.0.1.43) but 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 is to be installed.

open: 308; closed: 187; defer: 284; conflict: 745

the same when trying to install in debian 7 or 8 armhf

any suggestions ?

Edited by franky384

hurricanehrndz

We don't build for any arm device. I haven't taken a look at what it takes to do so.

hurricanehrndz

Unable to install on Ubuntu14.04 armhf and also on Debian 7 and 8 armhf.

The repos seem to be messed up. A lot of unfixable errors

open: 308; closed: 187; defer: 284; conflict: 745 The following packages have unmet dependencies:

open: 308; closed: 187; defer: 284; conflict: 745

the same when trying to install in debian 7 or 8 armhf

any suggestions ?

@@franky384 I have enabled arm builds for repository 14.04 please try and again report back. I have not tested and have no means of testing.

By the way it's building right now so please check here:https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor/home:emby

• Like 1

osborni

Hello, 

I updated to the latest build this morning.

Running Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit

I received a few 404 errors when I typed in:

sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/xUbuntu_14.04/ /' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list"sudo apt-get update

Then i did this per the Ubuntu instructions:

ian@ubuntu-basement:~$ sudo apt-get install emby-server

Output:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

emby-server : Depends: mono-devel (>= 1.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

So I think the 1st two sudo lines above didn't grab the mono-devel packages properly.

So I installed the mono-devel package directly via: 

sudo apt-get install mono-devel 

then I proceeded to:

sudo apt-get install emby-server 

This worked properly and I received a prompt to enter in the user name, etc. No failure notes in the terminal text after running it.

and then:

sudo service emby-server start 

A note: starting up the server took a few minutes. Longer than last time IIRC.

Edited by osborni

franky384

@

You're the man, :lol:

installs without problems and is WORKING !!

But i had to compile ffmpeg for armhf from sources cause it's not in the 14.04 ubuntu repos. It's back in 15.04, perhaps you can enable 15.04 in your repo??

I copied ffmpeg and ffprobe to /usr/bin,

after that the install worked without any error , i followed the instructions on the download page.

Great work !!!

maybe someone is interested in ffmpeg for armhf, here's the link to my dropbox:

https://www.dropbox....ild.tar.gz?dl=0

I run the emby-server on an Android TV-Box CS918 in a Ubuntu 14.04 chroot environment.

Now i will try it on my Raspberry Pi 2 B) , or my Odroid U3. They are all armhf, should be no problem to install emby-server on them.

hurricanehrndz

Hello, 

I updated to the latest build this morning.

Running Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit

I received a few 404 errors when I typed in:

sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/xUbuntu_14.04/ /' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list"sudo apt-get update

Then i did this per the Ubuntu instructions:

ian@ubuntu-basement:~$ sudo apt-get install emby-server

Output:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming.

So I think the 1st two sudo lines above didn't grab the mono-devel packages properly.

So I installed the mono-devel package directly via: 

sudo apt-get install mono-devel 

then I proceeded to:

sudo apt-get install emby-server 

This worked properly and I received a prompt to enter in the user name, etc. No failure notes in the terminal text after running it.

and then:

sudo service emby-server start 

A note: starting up the server took a few minutes. Longer than last time IIRC.

It was probably adjusting permissions. The 404 errors could be because you have the old ppas. You missed a line. 

sudo apt-get install mono-runtime mediainfo libsqlite3-dev imagemagick-6.q8 libmagickwand-6.q8-2 libmagickcore-6.q8-2

perhaps that's why mono was not updated. 

Oh there is also a delay in the start up, because the script ensures that the process stays up for 15 seconds. If it doesn't it refers you to the emby logs.

hurricanehrndz

@

You're the man, :lol:

installs without problems and is WORKING !!

But i had to compile ffmpeg for armhf from sources cause it's not in the 14.04 ubuntu repos. It's back in 15.04, perhaps you can enable 15.04 in your repo??

I copied ffmpeg and ffprobe to /usr/bin,

after that the install worked without any error , i followed the instructions on the download page.

Great work !!!

maybe someone is interested in ffmpeg for armhf, here's the link to my dropbox:

https://www.dropbox....ild.tar.gz?dl=0

I run the emby-server on an Android TV-Box CS918 in a Ubuntu 14.04 chroot environment.

Now i will try it on my Raspberry Pi 2 B) , or my Odroid U3. They are all armhf, should be no problem to install emby-server on them.

I wish that enabling 15.04 would be a possibility, but the open build service haven't imported any packages for 15.04 for arm, so I would need to build each and every package imaginable. It might be easier if I build ffmpeg. Ps you could always use 15.04 and point to xUbuntu_14.04 repo there should be no issues. 

osborni

It was probably adjusting permissions. The 404 errors could be because you have the old ppas. You missed a line. 

sudo apt-get install mono-runtime mediainfo libsqlite3-dev imagemagick-6.q8 libmagickwand-6.q8-2 libmagickcore-6.q8-2

Oh there is also a delay in the start up, because the script ensures that the process stays up for 15 seconds. If it doesn't it refers you to the emby logs.

Good to know about the delay.

I tried that (95% sure I did that line - I'll check the terminal history. At work now and the box is at home) and it still choked. I followed the instructions verbatim the first two times through.

Though I'd suggest making the "{Repository}" note big fat and bold in the instruction set. I missed the 2nd one the first time I tried to update it. The 2nd time I walked through the install, I ran into the problem with the ppas. The 3rd time I installed mono-devel.

Doing the full mono install worked though, so I'm happy.

Though I have to say that Emby needs to figure out a way to have it install with just: sudo apt-get emby-server and be done with the multi-line repository stuff. I realize there is the assumption that most linux users have some sort of a clue, but some of us use linux because it is free and aren't much better than script kiddies. (like me. Ha!)

Edited by osborni

hurricanehrndz

Good to know about the delay.

I tried that (95% sure I did that line - I'll check the terminal history. At work now and the box is at home) and it still choked. I followed the instructions verbatim the first two times through.

Though I'd suggest making the "{Repository}" note big fat and bold in the instruction set. I missed the 2nd one the first time I tried to update it. The 2nd time I walked through the install, I ran into the problem with the ppas. The 3rd time I installed mono-devel.

Doing the full mono install worked though, so I'm happy.

Though I have to say that Emby needs to figure out a way to have it install with just: sudo apt-get emby-server and be done with the multi-line repository stuff. I realize there is the assumption that most linux users have some sort of a clue, but some of us use linux because it is free and aren't much better than script kiddies. (like me. Ha!)

Adding a repository to your os is part of every distros unless you get included in the default repos. I don't think that will happen. We have made the instructions and the installation procedure as simple as it could be and a lot less complex than when I first started when you had to compile mono and emby yourself. Thanks for your suggestions. mono-devel is not a full install, it includes some library files. The name is not really representative of what the package actually installs. I'm pretty sure that if you added the repo and did an apt-get update that apt-get install emby-server would work too. I like having the dependency line in the install instructions though so that the install is as flawless as possible. In terms of linux, I use to be script kiddy about 3 years ago, so don't worry the more and more you use linux the more addicting it becomes. 

franky384

I wish that enabling 15.04 would be a possibility, but the open build service haven't imported any packages for 15.04 for arm, so I would need to build each and every package imaginable. It might be easier if I build ffmpeg. Ps you could always use 15.04 and point to xUbuntu_14.04 repo there should be no issues. 

Ok, no problem , it works for me with my self compiled ffmpeg.

I'll try out the 15.04 repo together with your xUbuntu_14.04 on my raspberry.

Update:

I just installed Ubuntu 15.04 on my Raspberry Pi 2, installed ffmpeg, then followed the install instructions on the download page and everything installed fine without any error.

Very nice that the emby-server now also runs on armv7 devices.

Edited by franky384

osborni

Yes, the linux instructions are getting better!

During try #1, this is what the terminal log states when I tried to do the mono-runtime line item:

sudo apt-get install mono-runtime mediainfo libsqlite3-dev imagemagick-6.q8 libmagickwand-6.q8-2 libmagickcore-6.q8-2 Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
libsqlite3-dev is already the newest version.
mediainfo is already the newest version.
imagemagick-6.q8 is already the newest version.
libmagickcore-6.q8-2 is already the newest version.
libmagickwand-6.q8-2 is already the newest version.
mono-runtime is already the newest version.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libmono-cscompmgd8.0-cil libmono-data-tds2.0-cil
  libmono-entityframework-sqlserver6.0-cil libmono-entityframework6.0-cil
  libmono-i18n-west2.0-cil libmono-ldap2.0-cil libmono-management2.0-cil
  libmono-messaging-rabbitmq2.0-cil libmono-messaging2.0-cil
  libmono-microsoft-build2.0-cil libmono-microsoft8.0-cil
  libmono-npgsql2.0-cil libmono-npgsql4.0-cil libmono-opensystem-c4.0-cil
  libmono-oracle2.0-cil libmono-peapi2.0a-cil libmono-posix2.0-cil
  libmono-rabbitmq2.0-cil libmono-relaxng2.0-cil libmono-security2.0-cil
  libmono-sharpzip2.6-cil libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil libmono-simd2.0-cil
  libmono-sqlite2.0-cil libmono-system-data-services2.0-cil
  libmono-system-data2.0-cil libmono-system-json2.0-cil
  libmono-system-ldap2.0-cil libmono-system-messaging2.0-cil
  libmono-system-net2.0-cil libmono-web4.0-cil libmono-windowsbase3.0-cil
  libmono-xbuild-tasks2.0-cil mono-mcs mono-xbuild Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 212 not upgraded.
W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://ppa.launchpad.net/apps-z/mediabrowser/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ppa.launchpad.net_apps-z_mediabrowser_ubuntu_dists_trusty_main_binary-amd64_Packages)
W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://ppa.launchpad.net/apps-z/mediabrowser/ubuntu/ trusty/main i386 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ppa.launchpad.net_apps-z_mediabrowser_ubuntu_dists_trusty_main_binary-i386_Packages)
W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/xUbuntu_14.04/  Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/download.opensuse.org_repositories_home:_emby_xUbuntu%5f14.04_Packages)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems ian@ubuntu-basement:~$ sudo apt-get install emby-server Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       

Edited by osborni