Ubuntu

Luke

On 8/30/2020 at 10:24 PM, Risiamu said:

# arxher @ arxher-desktop in ~ [10:20:06]
$ sudo systemctl status emby-server
● emby-server.service - Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device.
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: signal) since Mon 2020-08-31 10:19:16 CST; 57s ago
 Main PID: 18714 (code=killed, signal=ABRT)

8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.StartupWizard
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.StartupWizard. Duration:
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.SystemEvents
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.SystemEvents. Duration:
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.UserDataChangeNotifier
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.UserDataChangeNotifier.
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Implementations.Channels.ChannelsEntryPoint
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Stack overflow.
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'signal'.
...skipping...
● emby-server.service - Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device.
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: signal) since Mon 2020-08-31 10:19:16 CST; 57s ago
 Main PID: 18714 (code=killed, signal=ABRT)

8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.StartupWizard
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.StartupWizard. Duration:
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.SystemEvents
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.SystemEvents. Duration:
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.UserDataChangeNotifier
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Implementations.EntryPoints.UserDataChangeNotifier.
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Implementations.Channels.ChannelsEntryPoint
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop emby-server[18714]: Stack overflow.
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
8月 31 10:19:16 arxher-desktop systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'signal'.

Meeting some stackoverflow problem. I am running this on Jetson Nano (ARMV8) Ubuntu 18.

It initialy works fine, but then i can't start it....

@Risiamu can you please try the beta server and see if this helps? Thanks.

• 5 months later...

hello, please i need support configuring permissions for emby on my ubuntu machine. i just installed on ubuntu 20, i have my media files on a second harddrive on the same machine, but i can't seem to access my files on drive from emby. i won't mind a remote connection to help me fix this issue. not really good with linux. 

54 minutes ago, ysadiq said:

hello, please i need support configuring permissions for emby on my ubuntu machine. i just installed on ubuntu 20, i have my media files on a second harddrive on the same machine, but i can't seem to access my files on drive from emby. i won't mind a remote connection to help me fix this issue. not really good with linux. 

Take a look at this post

Basically using Linux access control lists you can add the user to a specific folder. Its easy to do right from the command line

something like this,

setfacl -m user:emby:rwx /mnt/media

this means your setting the user emby to read write and execute in all files and subfolders of /mnt/media
Note: /mnt/media is where my external drive is

If you dont want emby to have write access then use,

setfacl -m user:emby:rx /mnt/media

Should get you up and running

3 hours ago, weble said:

Take a look at this post

Basically using Linux access control lists you can add the user to a specific folder. Its easy to do right from the command line

something like this,

setfacl -m user:emby:rwx /mnt/media

this means your setting the user emby to read write and execute in all files and subfolders of /mnt/media
Note: /mnt/media is where my external drive is

If you dont want emby to have write access then use,

setfacl -m user:emby:rx /mnt/media

Should get you up and running

WOWWWWWWWW thank you very much....it worked

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
katinatez

Hello, need to know default location of transcoding logs in Ubuntu 22.04. I created a VM with Ubuntu, passed GPU pass through for transcoding, played a movie to test and my VM ran out of HDD space. I need to go and delete log files.

Thanks

rotational467
17 hours ago, katinatez said:

Hello, need to know default location of transcoding logs in Ubuntu 22.04. I created a VM with Ubuntu, passed GPU pass through for transcoding, played a movie to test and my VM ran out of HDD space. I need to go and delete log files.

Thanks

On 20.04 it's here, I'd be surprised if it's moved:

/var/lib/emby/logs

sfatula

You can always see where via Emby. Go to "Manage Emby Server", and right there on the dashboard on the right it shows the log file paths.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
katinatez
On 6/13/2022 at 11:10 AM, sfatula said:

You can always see where via Emby. Go to "Manage Emby Server", and right there on the dashboard on the right it shows the log file paths.

Thank You found it

• 3 months later...
gumbercules

I have searched all over and cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong with my permissions on my media folder (exfat.) I have added emby to my main user group and recursively set all folder/file permission to 755. If I switch to the emby user I am unable to read or write in my media folder. Does anyone have an idea of what I'm doing wrong here?

media drive permissions:

drwxr-xr-x 8 huff huff 131072 Sep 24 18:15 samsung

emby group id:

emby : emby video render huff

trying to create a test file as the emby user in the media folder:

huff@meerkat:$ cd /media/huff/samsung/

huff@meerkat:/media/huff/samsung$ sudo -u emby bash

emby@meerkat:/media/huff/samsung$ touch test

touch: cannot touch 'test': Permission denied

mount options in fstab 

LABEL=samsung /media/huff/samsung exfat rw,defaults,uid=1000,gid=1000, 0 0

@gumberculesyour mounting the drive with user and group of 1000 (which would be your user you setup linux with usually) then you set the file / folder permissions to 755. This means that your uid 1000 can write to the folder but group 1000 / others can only read or execute files. you may want to change it to 766 for the group / others to have read + write permissions.

Edited by weble
  • Thanks 1

gumbercules
34 minutes ago, weble said:

@gumberculesyour mounting the drive with user and group of 1000 (which would be your user you setup linux with usually) then you set the file / folder permissions to 755. This means that your uid 1000 can write to the folder but group 1000 / others can only read or execute files. you may want to change it to 766 for the group / others to have read + write permissions.

@weble I appreciate your help!  I ran chmod -R 766 on /media/huff/samsung but still don't see any folders after /media/huff when trying to add the library in the emby setup wizard.  I also tried to write a test file as user emby in the samsung folder but it was denied on permissions.  Any other ideas?

4 hours ago, gumbercules said:

@weble I appreciate your help!  I ran chmod -R 766 on /media/huff/samsung but still don't see any folders after /media/huff when trying to add the library in the emby setup wizard.  I also tried to write a test file as user emby in the samsung folder but it was denied on permissions.  Any other ideas?

Hi, have you taken a look at this?

• 5 months later...
tedfroop
On 24/09/2022 at 17:58, gumbercules said:

Did you run the command with sudo?  Sudo is "act like root".  If root has permissions to folders they won't change without running the command as root.....

Same command but sudo chmod -R 766......

• 2 weeks later...
GwyllGwyllin
On 3/19/2023 at 5:23 AM, tedfroop said:

Did you run the command with sudo?  Sudo is "act like root".  If root has permissions to folders they won't change without running the command as root.....

Same command but sudo chmod -R 766......

Hello,

I suggest to use 775 as directory permissions and 664 for files ... or a bit more securely 770 for directories and 660 for files. The permission 766 isn't good for directories.

With the given username, group name and path above:

1. sudo chown huff:huff -R /media/huff/samsung
  2. sudo find /media/huff/samsung -type d -exec chmod 2770 {} \;
  3. sudo find /media/huff/samsung -type f -exec chmod 660 {} \;

In case of the emby user doesn't need write permission on the media files so you can try 640 in step 3. To avoid future permission problems I think you should add umask to both huff and emby user's profile. The ~/.bashrc usualy a good place for this.

umask 007 will do.