bret1958

bret1958

Why add new features when the basic app is in so full of bugs

I would love to have just a basic app that works and is refined in its amout of bugs.. rather  all the new features.. that have to in them selves only add more bugs..

bret1958

Luke thank you for the fast reply, I will gather up the basic issues of streaming failure, and volume issues, and app freezes. I have never been able to complete a movie with the app no matter how many times I try. with a pc or the Surface. I have 8 clients and the abilty to make any one them the server (pref.. the most powrfull one) but nothing changes.. They all have the same Issues..

Direct play back always works ..streaming... is rather disapointing.. and I have great WIFI.. but the windows 8.1 app fails to stream correctly even on a wired pc. The server is powerfull enough..

I see all the issues in the forums and just assume they all r on the list.. so why repeat..

I am not going to get into I'm bashing crap as why have the forums if I cant express what I feel is right then i need to get off the channel .. Issues r Issues and we all know they r out there.

Its not to much to ask that the basic app gets out of beta..

Very easy to repeat the failure.. hit the back button and try to restream.. then wait tell tomorrow.. or hope u get to the end but always stops 85-95%% of the way.. I do not use MKV files they are full rips

Any way I know you all work hard so do I... I will do as you ask and send the log on 8 clients. that will take me sometime. I have 80% better luck with the smart player app in the windows store.. But look foward to the day of classic being retired.. SO a full app is needed, and Theater seems to be on hold. I am a builder and I can add all the bells an whistles I want but if my foundation is bad the house still falls down.

politby

I'm going to add a few cents to this thread as I just got a Windows 8.1 tablet and I have installed the app. Unfortunately I am also struggling to get it to work.

The only file format playable without extreme stuttering is 1080i H.264 .wtv recorded TV. Most of my other content is in MKV format, mainly BD rips. All pretty much unwatchable because of extreme stuttering.

Switching between subtitles or audio tracks while playing stops playback and requires restarting from the beginning while ignoring the audio/subtitle change. All choices in the audio/subtitle menus then disappear and the only choice is "untitled".

Skip back or forward results in a "this video cannot be played" message.

The web client works PERFECTLY in Metro IE and plays all my media flawlessly.

Will post log file(s) as soon as I get home from work.

Edited by politby

7illusions

If the video stutters, can you try lowering the streaming quality and let me know if that improves playback? (Charms Menu, settings, streaming)

politby

QTried that, no difference. Does the app and the web client use the same playback engine or are they completely different?

I should mention I have the Shark007 codecs installed on all my Windows systems (they have never caused any issues).

Sorry for the delay in posting the log, still away.

--

There are two kinds of people. Those who can extrapolate from missing information.

Edited by politby

• 2 weeks later...
politby

Just wanted to report the stuttering problem has gone away. Might be a server update that fixed it.

--

There are two kinds of people. Those who can extrapolate from missing information.