Additional Parts section doesn't appear

Pokerness

Pokerness

Hi,

Since version 4..8.8, perhaps an earlier version, the Additional Parts section does not appear in either the Web or App client.
As a result, only the first part of a movie can be played.

My diagnosis is as follows: 

• the server's database library.db has not lost the other parts of the movie nor their metadata, even after updating the files, 
  • the problem comes from the file naming, which includes a space between the movie name and the extension, e.g.: name -part#.mp4
  • the Additional Parts section appears if the naming is without spaces, e.g.: name-part#.mp4.

I deduce that the file analyzer still tolerates this naming with a space, but the problem appears when the movie page is displayed. 

I can't say exactly since which version the problem appeared, but my server contains more than 200 movie parts with a space in the name since 2020. Probably since a few months...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards.

Pokerness
Posted (edited)

More exactly, the problem appear when folder name and files name are not the same, e.g.: in the movie_name folder, the movie parts have to be named as movie_name-part#.mp4.
Previously, we could add the movie year at the end of folder name, e.g.:  a folder movie_name (2022) with files named movie_name -part#.mp4

Edited by Pokerness

Hi there, can you please provide specific examples of folder and file names? Thanks.

Pokerness

Thank a lot for your quick feedback.

You are right @Happy2Play, my diagnosis is not correct.

I've just added a new movie split in 2 parts into my library, in the Le comte de Monte-Cristo (1954) folder: Le comte de Monte-Cristo part1.mp4 and Le comte de Monte-Cristo part2.mp4.

For this movie, the Additional parts section is displayed !

Where does this regression come from, for some previously added movies ?

Further tests are needed to characterize the faulty films... Have you an idea?

Happy2Play

Something could have happened in previous versions or during an upgrade process it is really hard to say.  Worst case would be removing the library and readding it or just the media with parts.

Pokerness

Apparently, it's not a naming problem. After several tests by renaming both the name of the files and the data in the library.db database, the lack of the Additional parts section has not been corrected.

The default also appears when using a 2022 backup of the database.

The problem seems to occur when the film page is prepared before being displayed. 

I remind  that the default appears on the web and app client, on the same movies.

Hi, why don't you think it's a naming problem?

Happy2Play

Thinks we need to see specific examples of it not working.

Is it a specific client the does not show them?

Pokerness
19 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, why don't you think it's a naming problem?

By renaming both the name of the files and the data in the library.db database (Path), within the strict conformance to namming rules , the Additional parts section is still missing.

The default also appears when using a 2022 backup of the database. In 2022 and later everything was Ok.

In library.db database, all parts from the second onwards is linked to the first part (Parentid = Id),  Type = 5 for the first part and Type = 18 for the other ones.

Only some of the split movies are in default. New movie, like Le comte de Monte-Cristo (1954), is correctly added and displayed within a page with the Additional parts section.

Pokerness
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Thinks we need to see specific examples of it not working.

Is it a specific client the does not show them?

The default appears on different devices PC, Iphone, IPad, in either the Web or App client. Each time on the same split movies.

On 57 split movies, only 5 are displayed with the Additional parts section !

Edited by Pokerness

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, Pokerness said:

The default appears on different devices PC, Iphone, IPad, in either the Web or App client. Each time on the same split movies.

On 57 split movies, only 5 are displayed with the Additional parts section !

No idea without specific examples.  Need to see folder structure/naming and what the UI shows.

• 2 weeks later...
Pokerness

Hi ! I'm pleased to tell you that I find where the bug comes from !
This comes from the AncestorIds2 table :

ItemId        AncestorId    Distance
31943        1                 3
31943        3                 2
31943        31904        1
31943        31943        0
31944        31944        0
31945        31945        0

After correction as following,

ItemId        AncestorId    Distance
31943        1                 3
31943        3                 2
31943        31904        1
31943        31943        0
31944        1                 4
31944        3                 3
31944        31904        2
31944        31943        0
31944        31944        0
31945        1                 4
31945        3                 3
31945        31904        2
31945        31943        1
31945        31945        0

the Additional parts section appears correctly, with all additionnal parts and theirs respective metadata.

How the AncestorIds2  table could be corrupted, only within the additionnal parts of split movies ?

Is there a tool or process to repair the AncestorIds2 table ? Scan  library files can't repair the table.

Happy2Play

@Lukeis this something in an older database as on a new portable I cannot reproduce but notice on an old system I have a move actually doing this making part 2 primary and part 1 additional.

2024-07-02 10:49:01.896 Debug App: Found extra AdditionalPart Z:\ServerFolders\Videos\Movies\T\The Ten Commandments (1956)\The Ten Commandments (1956)-part1.mkv for Z:\ServerFolders\Videos\Movies\T\The Ten Commandments (1956)\The Ten Commandments (1956)-part2.mkv

Pokerness
Posted (edited)

Hi @Luke 

Do you have any feedback on this bug?

How could the AncestorIds2 table be corrupted, only in the extra parts of split movies?

Is there a tool to repair the AncestorIds2 table without missing metadata?

Edited by Pokerness

Hi, what happens if you add a new movie? How does that compare?

Pokerness

Hi @Luke.

As I said above, the 2-part movie Le comte de Monte-Cristo (1954) has been added correctly with the Additional Parts section displayed.

I have got:

In MediaItems table

Id            guid                                                                       type    data     ParentId
32942    306BC0E311B99137666A72417FEBBDB9    5         NULL    3
32943    A53AC3BD3267306E648B2A9854206FDF    18      NULL     32942

In AncestorIds2 table

ItemId        AncestorId    Distance
32942        1                      2
32942        3                      1
32942        32942             0
32943        1                      3
32943        3                      2
32943        32942             1
32943        32943             0

Based on this, I carried out my test, which I posted above, by filling in the AncestorIds2 table manually to correct the bug.

Now I need to repair the table for many split movies. I could write a few lines of code, but those are part of the emby code.
Is there a way to run this part of the code without updating the metadata?

Have you tried refreshing the metadata for impacted titles? 

The other thing you could do is remove them from your library, run a scan, then add them back.

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

The other thing you could do is remove them from your library, run a scan, then add them back.

I couldn't get it to fix the one I had on my main system until I actually embedded Title in file.   Now I can't reproduce.

But haven't been able to reprocude on any newer system.

Pokerness
13 hours ago, Luke said:

Is it possible to update the metadata of a movie without losing all the personal data: title, date, people, image...?

8 hours ago, Pokerness said:

Is it possible to update the metadata of a movie without losing all the personal data: title, date, people, image...?

title, date, people

Are these fields locked in the metadata editor?

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, Pokerness said:

Ok. But what about locking images?

What do you mean as they are secondary option to refresh.  So if they exist, they will not get touched unless told to.

image.png.9bdfffdf5524d54a03135adbae945da5.png

48 minutes ago, Pokerness said:

Ok. But what about locking images?

The server never replaces images unless you request it manually, so that’s it’s not really necessary to have a locking option on them.

Pokerness
Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2024 at 8:24 PM, Luke said:

Have you tried updating the metadata for the affected tracks?

The other thing you could do is remove them from your library, run a scan, and then add them back.

Hi @Luke.

I tried to update the metadata and it works! The parts of split movies are detected and displayed.

I refreshed the whole library with the Search for missing metadata option in order  to keep my personal data.

image.png.f39d943018fb226d3cf2bc3bc0036b15.png

I haven't checked all the split movies yet, but it's OK for the few that have been checked.

I noticed that it's not possible to have more than 9 parts. In the Emby doc, the Naming your media page explains that the part numbering can be from 1 to 9 or from A to D. And apparently it's not possible to combine the 2 numbering modes together.

I got around this limitation by creating an extras folder for the part from the 10th.

I also tested rebuilding the AncestorIds2 table with a few lines of code. It seems to work fine

For 54 affected split movies and 167 movie parts, I generated 669 lines and added them to the AncestorIds2 table.

I noticed that the distance of the 2 top levels were sometimes numbered 50 and 1000 instead of the continuous sequence, e.g. 1,2, 50, 1000 instead of 1, 2, 3, 4. I made sure that the parts of a given movie used the same numbering as its first part.

.image.png.3b8934d4b3d24f436ecfef0ba04d52aa.png

It is not possible to force more than 9 parts. Over the 9th part, each of the other parts are integrated as a single new movie.

At this stage, I'm not going to keep the database I've corrected, as I'm not sure of the side-effects of manual modification. But it's interesting to know where the error was in the database. But there is still question: How could the AncestorIds2  table be corrupted, only within the additional parts of some split movies?

Edited by Pokerness