FreeBSD Package

Luke

hjason7812

if you still have the old emby jail running 4.0.8 or whatever we installed. Restart that jail and check if its working, if not please use the standard method of installing in one of my many posts. or here

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/60971-new-freenas-package-for-testing/page-7&do=findComment&comment=619899

Nothing is working at all.. i get internet through freenas but everything i try just fails at install except the old version that is in the plugins that installs with no problem.

Duffyx

Now that the newest verison of Emby (4.0.2.0) is in the FreeBSD ports tree, it should be as easy as

pkg install emby-server 

If you want to have full functionality, you'll have to recompile from source with lame enabled.

svnlite co https://svn.FreeBSD.org/ports/head /usr/ports/
cd /usr/ports/multimedia/emby-server
make config 
### enable the LAME option in the pop-up menu ###
make install 
make clean

Also note; these instruction are for FreeBSD! Not FreeNAS or any derivatives of FreeBSD.

FreeNAS has its separate thread, please keep FreeNAS related things in there.

Edited by Duffyx

hjason7812

Now that the newest verison of Emby (4.0.2.0) is in the FreeBSD ports tree, it should be as easy as "pkg install emby-server".

If you want to have full functionality, you'll have to recompile from source with lame enabled.

svn co https://svn.FreeBSD.org/ports/head /usr/ports/
cd /usr/ports/multimedia/emby-server
make config
make install 
make clean

What is lame?

Duffyx

Lame is a library that will enable the possibility for MP3 transcoding. It is disabled by default, because of licensing on FreeBSD.

• 1 year later...
hjason7812

there is a bug in the 4.4.2.0 for freenas where the display keeps resetting to the defult settings and has to be set back to user preferences every time a user logs into use the server

there is a bug in the 4.4.2.0 for freenas where the display keeps resetting to the defult settings and has to be set back to user preferences every time a user logs into use the server

Hi there, can you please go over an example? thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
hjason7812

Hi there, can you please go over an example? thanks.

Hello, sorry for the late reply Luke. Well i update freenas to the new update and it fixed the issue i had with emby changing the settings on me. Now i have another issue where the android version of emby automatically starts up even though it hasn't been ran in a while. i close all apps completely down after i'm done using them on my phone because they ise a lot of resources and make your phone run slow if you have a lot of apps running in the background.

Hello, sorry for the late reply Luke. Well i update freenas to the new update and it fixed the issue i had with emby changing the settings on me. Now i have another issue where the android version of emby automatically starts up even though it hasn't been ran in a while. i close all apps completely down after i'm done using them on my phone because they ise a lot of resources and make your phone run slow if you have a lot of apps running in the background.

What version of the android app?

• 1 month later...
soloam

Hello, I use the emby in my freenas system, and that is installed with the package, I would like to know if you guys keep using the package, or if you go Beta and installed it from the link? This is because the version of the freebsd is so far behind, and takes so long to get updated, that I'm tempted to go to a manual install. Is the delay on the freebsd updated rellated with tha package manager team, or is being hold back intentionally (if yes, whats the reason) by the emby team?

Thank You

adrianwi

I updated to 4.4.3.0 last week with pkg update/upgrade.  It's always a little behind, bu not too far, which I don't find to be a bad thing.

• 6 months later...
crunchyemby

Missing dependency when installing latest FreeBSD beta, version: 4.6.0.22
upgrading from version: 4.6.0.10

ERROR: "pkg: Missing dependency 'ocl-icd'"

### FreeBSD Jail Version: 11.3-RELEASE-p6
### (upgraded jail)
### FreeBSD Jail Version: 11.3-RELEASE-p14

### configured for latest packages:
# cat /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf
FreeBSD: {
  url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"
}

##################
Steps followed (as root): 
##################
service emby-server stop
pkg install install mono libass fontconfig freetype2 fribidi gnutls iconv opus sqlite3 libtheora libva libvpx libvorbis webp libx264 x265 dav1d libzvbi libraw ImageMagick6
pkg update
pkg upgrade
pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.6.0.22/emby-server-freebsd11_4.6.0.22_amd64.txz
OUTPUT:
Fetching emby-server-freebsd11_4.6.0.22_amd64.txz: 100%   43 MiB   9.0MB/s    00:05
Installing emby-server-4.6.0.22_1...
Newer FreeBSD version for package emby-server:
To ignore this error set IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes
- package: 1104001
- running kernel: 1103000
Ignore the mismatch and continue? [y/N]: y
package emby-server is already installed, forced install
pkg: Missing dependency 'ocl-icd'

17 hours ago, crunchyemby said:

ERROR: "pkg: Missing dependency 'ocl-icd'"

I don't see it listed on the dependencies list (that just may need to be updated). Should be as simple as running

pkg install ocl-icd

crunchyemby
13 hours ago, MRobi said:

I don't see it listed on the dependencies list (that just may need to be updated). Should be as simple as running

pkg install ocl-icd

Thanks! Yes, "pkg install ocl-icd" did resolve the issue... I run my emby instances on dedicate jails. I only reported it in case there was a new undocumented dependency.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I am just trying to solve a DLNA problem I have in XigmaNAS (FreeBSD 12.2 and FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p13 in Emby 4.5.4 jail). Here more info.

I was told that current mono version is too old and, since DLNA works correctly in Windows 10, this may be the cause.

Current mono version which is installed together with Emby package is:

mono-5.10.1.57_3               Open source implementation of .NET Development Framework

However, there are two more versions available:

pkg search mono
mono5.20-5.20.1.34             Open source implementation of .NET Development Framework
mono6.8-6.8.0.123              Open source implementation of .NET Development Framework

I tried to installed them. I had to lock emby-server first, since these new packages are incompatible with Emby:

pkg lock emby-server

However, in the installation process, an error appeared. For example, for mono 5.20-5.20.1.34:

Proceed with this action? [y/N]: y
[Emby] [1/2] Deinstalling mono-5.10.1.57_3...
[Emby] [1/2] Deleting files for mono-5.10.1.57_3: 100%
pkg: unlinkat(usr/local/mono/): No such file or directory
[Emby] [2/2] Installing mono5.20-5.20.1.34...
[Emby] [2/2] Extracting mono5.20-5.20.1.34: 100%
ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/bin/mono: Undefined symbol "pthread_setname_np@FBSD_1.6"
pkg: POST-INSTALL script failed

And afterwards, Emby did not start.

Could be possible to make Emby work/run with these too newer packages? If so, most probably, many known bugs or limitations of Emby in FreeBSD could be fixed or, at least, improved.

Many thanks!

Baenwort
On 2/15/2021 at 1:34 PM, dml33 said:

Hi.

I am just trying to solve a DLNA problem I have in XigmaNAS (FreeBSD 12.2 and FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p13 in Emby 4.5.4 jail). Here more info.

I was told that current mono version is too old and, since DLNA works correctly in Windows 10, this may be the cause.

Current mono version which is installed together with Emby package is:

mono-5.10.1.57_3               Open source implementation of .NET Development Framework

However, there are two more versions available:

pkg search mono
mono5.20-5.20.1.34             Open source implementation of .NET Development Framework
mono6.8-6.8.0.123              Open source implementation of .NET Development Framework

I tried to installed them. I had to lock emby-server first, since these new packages are incompatible with Emby:

pkg lock emby-server

However, in the installation process, an error appeared. For example, for mono 5.20-5.20.1.34:

Proceed with this action? [y/N]: y
[Emby] [1/2] Deinstalling mono-5.10.1.57_3...
[Emby] [1/2] Deleting files for mono-5.10.1.57_3: 100%
pkg: unlinkat(usr/local/mono/): No such file or directory
[Emby] [2/2] Installing mono5.20-5.20.1.34...
[Emby] [2/2] Extracting mono5.20-5.20.1.34: 100%
ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/bin/mono: Undefined symbol "pthread_setname_np@FBSD_1.6"
pkg: POST-INSTALL script failed

And afterwards, Emby did not start.

Could be possible to make Emby work/run with these too newer packages? If so, most probably, many known bugs or limitations of Emby in FreeBSD could be fixed or, at least, improved.

Many thanks!

If you want to get up to mono 6.8 I was able to do so using the instructions I linked at: 

Hi.

Thanks for the link. It is the same thing I was trying to do.

Instead of installing a pre-compiled 6.8 package from a person who compiled it, I was trying to install the official FreeBSD package.

I think the error I was having was because I had a strange mixture: I was running XigmaNAS with a 12.2 kernel, but the Emby jail was still in FreeBSD 12.1 version.

Yesterday I updated the Emby jail to FreeBSD 12.2p3 and then, I installed mono 6.8.123 successfully:

service emby-server stop
pkg lock emby-server
pkg search mono
pkg install mono6.8-6.8.0.123
mono --version
service emby-server start

Mono JIT compiler version 6.8.0.123 (tarball Sun Feb  7 06:20:26 UTC 2021)
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
        TLS:           __thread
        SIGSEGV:       altstack
        Notification:  kqueue
        Architecture:  amd64
        Disabled:      none
        Misc:          softdebug
        Interpreter:   yes
        LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
        Suspend:       preemptive
        GC:            sgen (concurrent by default)

And Emby 4.5.4.0 is running correctly.

I think that Emby FreeBSD maintainers could begin to use this new mono version and forget the old mono 5.10.

The sad part is that I still had the same DLNA issues and I cannot play any content on my Yamaha AVR 🙄

Thanks for the hint.

• Like 2

I think that Emby FreeBSD maintainers could begin to use this new mono version and forget the old mono 5.10.

We use the one that's on the system. It's not embedded into the package.

21 hours ago, Luke said:

We use the one that's on the system. It's not embedded into the package.

Yes, but in the FreeBSD instructions, in the list of dependences, it is written to install just "mono", which results is the old 5.10.1.57 one:

Emby FreeBSD installation instructions

sudo pkg install mono libass fontconfig freetype2 fribidi gnutls iconv opus sqlite3 libtheora libva ocl-icd libvorbis webp libzvbi libraw ImageMagick6

If you say to install plain "mono":

root@Emby:/ # pkg install mono
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
[Emby] Fetching packagesite.txz: 100%    6 MiB   2.2MB/s    00:03
Processing entries: 100%
FreeBSD repository update completed. 30174 packages processed.
All repositories are up to date.
The following 1 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
        mono: 5.10.1.57_3

Number of packages to be installed: 1

Edited by dml33
Output for pkg install mono
  • Like 1

Ok, in the past that way always installed the latest version. Not sure why they've diverged from that.

Hi.

I installed Emby 4.6.0.26 as you suggested, @Luke and I can play songs on the Yamaha AVR. Thanks!

The only thing is that I had to remove my new mono6.8 package because Emby wanted in its dependences the just plain mono package, which is, at the moment, the old mono 5.10 version.

root@Emby:/ # pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.6.0.26/emby-server-freebsd12_4.6.0.26_amd64.txz
[Emby] Fetching emby-server-freebsd12_4.6.0.26_amd64.txz: 100%   43 MiB  15.1MB/s    00:03
[Emby] Installing emby-server-4.6.0.26_1...
package emby-server is already installed, forced install
pkg: Missing dependency 'mono'

Failed to install the following 1 package(s): https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.6.0.26/emby-server-freebsd12_4.6.0.26_amd64.txz

If Emby developers think or can validate that mono6.8 is fully compatible with Emby and there is no problem with it, please, make the FreeBSD package accept it, as well.

Thank you very much for your work!

• 1 month later...
crunchyemby

@Luke - I'm also having intermittent memory / high CPU issues, presumably related to mono 5.10 memory leaks.

I've installed mono 5.20 and 6.8 (now available in pkg repos) ... but emby-server does not find the system's mono. Is there a dependency configuration or is emby locked to 5.10? Maybe it's as simple as a path change?

Cheers!

1 minute ago, crunchyemby said:

@Luke - I'm also having intermittent memory / high CPU issues, presumably related to mono 5.10 memory leaks.

I've installed mono 5.20 and 6.8 (now available in pkg repos) ... but emby-server does not find the system's mono. Is there a dependency configuration or is emby locked to 5.10? Maybe it's as simple as a path change?

Cheers!

Hi, why do you feel that it doesn't find the system's mono?