FreeBSD Package

Luke

josh4trunks

Hi.

Using the ports way on my FreeBSD.

Failing to upgrade to this latest release.

Does not seem to fetch the 5781.8, amd64 version.

This is what i done...

sudo service emby-server stop

portsnap fetch update

sudo portupgrade -R /multimedia/emby-server

sudo service emby-server start

Solutions?

what version do you expect? the port is currently at 3.0.5781.2

it's easy enough to update the port yourself, but can take some time to get the patches accepted at bug.freebsd.org to the official ports tree. usually, by the time a patch gets accepted a newer version has already been released =\

• 3 weeks later...
abzahri.abazizis

Hi, unfortunately the contributor who was maintaining it has not been around lately. You can probably upgrade manually though by locating your installation folder. then go here and download Emby.Mono.zip:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases/tag/3.0.5781.3

look at the file names to find the equivalent directory in your installation and then overwrite them. Please make sure to back everything up before doing this as I'm not sure I've seen any BSD users do this before.

No. Just turn off your plugin (in the FreeNAS gui, not the Emby gui) then unzip Emby.mono.zip to a temp directory and copy them to

/usr/pbi/emby-amd64/lib/emby-server/

I'd do  "cp -Rfp" which will recursively copy, force overwrite without prompting, and preserve timestamps/owner/etc. "cp -a" should do the same thing. 

Then just start the plugin again and you are set.

"dylib" are dynamic library files for OSX. You don't need them for this; they are for Mono running under OSX. I deleted them out of mine (and they aren't included in the PBI either). 

If you do an ls -l of "/usr/local/lib/emby-server/" you'll see those are all just symlinks pointing back to "/usr/pbi/emby-amd64/lib/emby-server/". 

I did this, btw. Working fine so far and the Emby gui shows 5781.3. Note that the FreeNAS gui/plugins will still show 5781.1 as the version since we didn't go the full PBI route (which updates the plugin database). However this shouldn't be a problem since when an official 5781.3 (or later) pbi is released it'll just upgrade the files again anyway.

**NOTE** This works for me but I can't guarantee it won't break your system. At the very least backup the /usr/pbi/emby-amd64/lib/emby-server/ directory via tar or something. You should be running regular snapshots of your jails anyway which would be an even quicker way to get back to where you were if something goes wrong. 

I may get around to creating a pbi out of an updated port - though this will do for now - and it'd be better if the existing maintainer returned since he/she has a path to update the official FreeNAS repo and I don't. 

@@pclausen @@sluggo45

You guys are describing where the program files are for the FreeNAS plugin (PBI), but not the location @@abzahri.abazizis needs since he is using the FreeBSD pkg. In his case he should replace /usr/pbi/emby-amd64 with /usr/local

Also I'll update the FreeNAS plugin when I get back home this Saturday (available Sunday from the repo) and @@woodsb02 already submiited the request to update the FreeBSD port. Once it is committed, it will need to be built by the FreeBSD build servers and will be available.

https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=204728

I hate when people ask question in a forum and never gave feedback once they get it solved. So, I told myself to always give back what you get so more people can benefit from it. Thank you to all of you that help me solve my issues. Luke point me to the right repository to download the archive. When I go up the folder tree, I see all kind of Emby-Server releases and can choose which one I want to use. Then, sluggo45 hint me what to do with it. Finally, josh4trunks point me to the right location. Now, I am happy embying with the latest version whenever it were released.

This is what I did every time they announced a new release.

1. to see if there are any new package release, I do a pkg update and upgrade if necessary

2. I will update to that latest version Including all dependent package. You have to fix ffmpeg if you want music streaming.

3. Launch emby with my browser. If it still report that I still need to upgrade. I will go to the repository https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases and find the version I want and copy the link and download the file Emby.mono.zip from the release. This is the only file you need.

4. Unzip the file.

5. make backup of /usr/local/lib/emby-server/ just in case I mess up.

6. copy and replace all file in /usr/local/lib/emby-server/ with the files I just unzip.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
kjp4756

I'm currently re-installing my emby jail due to things being broken (due to me doing various thing over the past year).  I created a new jail in freenas.  I've already installed ffmpeg with lame and libass support.  Mono is already installed with the patches razzfazz (sp?) posted to make the file monitor work.  ImageMagick-nox11 is installed with q16 disabled.

Now I am at the point where I'm installing emby-server.  I do 'pkg install emby-server' and it wants to install ImageMagick along with X11 support.  Why is this happening?  I used to be able to use ImageMagick-nox11 just fine with emby.

EDIT: I ended up just compiling it myself from the port with OPTIONS_UNSET=X11 in my /etc/make.conf.  The binary packges always use the default options for the ports; in the emby port's case, X11 is enabled by default.

root@emby:~ # pkg install emby-server
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
pkg: ffmpeg has a missing dependency: lame
The following 73 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
emby-server: 3.0.5871
ImageMagick: 6.9.3.4,1
libwmf: 0.2.8.4_15
libX11: 1.6.3,1
xproto: 7.0.28
libXdmcp: 1.1.2
libxcb: 1.11.1
libpthread-stubs: 0.3_6
libXau: 1.0.8_3
kbproto: 1.0.7
libICE: 1.0.9_1,1
libSM: 1.2.2_3,1
libXt: 1.1.5,1
ghostscript9-x11: 9.06_11
libXext: 1.3.3_1,1
xextproto: 7.3.0
librsvg2: 2.40.13
pango: 1.38.0
encodings: 1.0.4_3,1
font-util: 1.3.1
libXft: 2.3.2_1
libXrender: 0.9.9
renderproto: 0.11.1
xorg-fonts-truetype: 7.7_1
font-misc-meltho: 1.0.3_3
mkfontdir: 1.0.7
mkfontscale: 1.1.2
libfontenc: 1.1.3
font-bh-ttf: 1.0.3_3
font-misc-ethiopic: 1.0.3_3
dejavu: 2.35
harfbuzz: 1.1.3
cairo: 1.14.6,2
libGL: 11.0.8
libXfixes: 5.0.1_3
fixesproto: 5.0
dri2proto: 2.8
libXdamage: 1.1.4_3
damageproto: 1.2.1
libdevq: 0.0.2_1
libXxf86vm: 1.1.4_1
xf86vidmodeproto: 2.3.1
gcc: 4.8.5_2
mpc: 1.0.3
mpfr: 3.1.3_1
gcc-ecj: 4.5
binutils: 2.25.1,1
libdrm: 2.4.66,1
libpciaccess: 0.13.4
pciids: 20160116
libxshmfence: 1.2
libglapi: 11.0.8
libXvMC: 1.0.9
libXv: 1.0.10_3,1
videoproto: 2.3.2
glproto: 1.4.17
libEGL: 11.0.8
gbm: 11.0.8
llvm36: 3.6.2_2
libedit: 3.1.20150325_1
libexecinfo: 1.1_3
pixman: 0.34.0
xcb-util-renderutil: 0.3.9_1
xcb-util: 0.4.0_1,1
icu: 55.1
graphite2: 1.3.5
libgsf: 1.14.34
gdk-pixbuf2: 2.32.3
jasper: 1.900.1_16
libXi: 1.7.6,1
inputproto: 2.3.1
libcroco: 0.6.11
sqlite3: 3.10.2_2

The process will require 716 MiB more space.
141 MiB to be downloaded.
Edited by kjp4756

• 3 weeks later...
kjp4756

Is there a reason OPTIONS_DEFAULT=X11 is used in the makefile?  It causes a lot of un-needed crap to be installed when you install the emby package using 'pkg install emby-server'.  I like to think most people running a freebsd server tend to not have or want X11 so why have it as default.

josh4trunks

Is there a reason OPTIONS_DEFAULT=X11 is used in the makefile? It causes a lot of un-needed crap to be installed when you install the emby package using 'pkg install emby-server'. I like to think most people running a freebsd server tend to not have or want X11 so why have it as default.

I agreed. no reason to (recursively) add additional dependencies. if they really need imagick with X11 they can enable this, no reason to assume they need more than what's necessary.

• 10 months later...
I am currently using the freenas emby plugin which works quite well.

Now, because version is still 3.1.2 I have created a freebsd jail and installed emby as described in the how to - which works fine!

I installed it out of the box - only recompiling FFMpeg and ImageMagick. Is there anything more to take care ?

In general I would like to know  if the plugin version has some more advantages - except that is easier to install because you only have to click update when provided... or if the FreeBSD version is similar to this

Whould be great to get some feedback here

I am currently using the freenas emby plugin which works quite well.
Now, because version is still 3.1.2 I have created a freebsd jail and installed emby as described in the how to - which works fine!

I installed it out of the box - only recompiling FFMpeg and ImageMagick. Is there anything more to take care ?

In general I would like to know  if the plugin version has some more advantages - except that is easier to install because you only have to click update when provided... or if the FreeBSD version is similar to this

Whould be great to get some feedback here

@@cherup i think your experience will be similar with both. As long as you followed the instructions on the emby website:

https://emby.media/download.html

then you should be good to go. Does this help answer your question? Thanks !

• 6 months later...
PhilWhite

Not to be a noodge, but I guess I am going to be....

Any idea on latest updates?  Pkg is still on 3.2.20, so I updated to the latest ports offering, which was 3.2.27 for my iocage jail server.  This wouldn't be an issue except for the Schedules Direct problem with guide data.  I understand that 3.2.29 solves that issue.  I was just wondering when an update for 3.2.29 might be available?

I have never tried to install Emby from github, which obviously has the latest version.  How would I go about doing that?  I can easily clone it to the jail, but I'm unsure of steps to take afterwards.

ETA: Yeah, never mind, I see the answer is earlier in this thread.  Please ignore, sorry.

ETA ETA: Yes, problem solved, all guide data there, now on 3.2.30.  

I love this place.  Special thanks to abzahri,abazizis.

Edited by PhilWhite

• 5 months later...
hjason7812

Could someone build a nas4free plugin with install instructions please?

I am wanting to build a nas4free rig but there's nothing for emby in the plugins..

And i have no idea how to install plugins outside of the main plugin dashboard.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Just a small update on the possibility of Emby for FreeBSD running with .NET Core instead of mono. Microsoft has updated their FreeBSD instructions with a note saying that the build process is currently not compatible with .NET Core 2.1:

https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/wiki/Building-.NET-Core--2.x-on-FreeBSD

At this point we've switched all of our development over from 2.0 to 2.1, so we need them to resolve that first. Once that's done then we'll resume looking into it. Thanks !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: There is an ongoing submission to get mono 5.10 support into FreeBSD:

https://reviews.freebsd.org/D15780

Anyone able to lend their support there is highly encouraged to do so. Right now the .NET Core build process for FreeBSD is not really realistic, and not fully supported yet by Microsoft.

As soon as Mono 5.10 support is added to FreeBSD, we're going to look into a new Emby package based on that, and with our own build process we'll have able to have stables immediately available, daily betas, etc. Just like all the other platforms.

Thanks.

• Like 3

makarai

Anyone able to lend their support there is highly encouraged to do so. Right now the .NET Core build process for FreeBSD is not really realistic, and not fully supported yet by Microsoft.

As soon as Mono 5.10 support is added to FreeBSD, we're going to look into a new Emby package based on that, and with our own build process we'll have able to have stables immediately available, daily betas, etc. Just like all the other platforms.

Thanks.

I wish i had some programming background. thanks for all the hard work.

MRobi

Thanks.

This is great to see it being worked on.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I guess mono 5.10 is now merged in? It can be a little hard to tell based on the comments:

This revision was not accepted when it landed; it landed in state Needs Review.Sat, Jun 16, 3:56 PM
Closed by commit rP472555: Update Mono to 5.10.1.47 (authored by feld, committed by ). · Explain Why
This revision was automatically updated to reflect the committed changes.

But then it links to another ticket that appears to have been merged in: https://reviews.freebsd.org/rP472555

makarai

man that went faster than anticipated! looking forward to it :D

Edited by makarai

constrict

Yup, it was merged just finished updating it myself. Can see the active port revision at https://www.freshports.org/lang/mono

I guess mono 5.10 is now merged in? It can be a little hard to tell based on the comments:

This revision was not accepted when it landed; it landed in state Needs Review.Sat, Jun 16, 3:56 PM
Closed by commit rP472555: Update Mono to 5.10.1.47 (authored by feld, committed by ). · Explain Why
This revision was automatically updated to reflect the committed changes.

But then it links to another ticket that appears to have been merged in: https://reviews.freebsd.org/rP472555

Fantastic thanks. I'll confer with our package builder and we'll start planning things out.

makarai

Yup, it was merged just finished updating it myself. Can see the active port revision at https://www.freshports.org/lang/mono

mhh for me does not update, yes fresh ports shows it but i cannot get it using the std methods of pkg update && pkg upgrade, even tho i added 

mkdir pkg/repos/
edit /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

FreeBSD: {
url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"
}
Edited by makarai

constrict

mhh for me does not update, yes fresh ports shows it but i cannot get it using the std methods of pkg update && pkg upgrade, even tho i added 

I have no patience. I use portsnap followed by portmaster with the -ai flags (check all ports and asks if you want to run on each individual port). PKG fetches pre-built binaries where postmaster builds the binaries and installs it. Also I think you need to place the updated repo link in /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf.

pkg install portmaster

portsnap fetch extract #(replace extract with update if you've already run extract)

portmaster -ai
Edited by constrict

adrianwi

I tried updating my jail, using portupgrade -a and then portmaster -ai but both fail with a problem updating automake

===>>> All >> mono-5.2.0.215_1 >> devel/automake (2/36)                                                                             

===>  Installing for automake-1.16.1                                                                                                
===>  Checking if automake already installed                                                                                        
===>   Registering installation for automake-1.16.1 as automatic                                                                    
[embyms] Installing automake-1.16.1...                                                                                              
pkg-static: automake-1.16.1 conflicts with automake-wrapper-20131203 (installs files into the same place).  Problematic file: /usr/l
ocal/bin/aclocal                                                                                                                    
*** Error code 70                                                                                                                   

Stop.                                                                                                                               
make: stopped in /usr/ports/devel/automake                                                                                          

===>>> Installation of automake-1.16.1 (devel/automake) failed                                                                      
===>>> Aborting update                                                                                                              

===>>> Update for devel/automake failed                                                                                             
===>>> Aborting update                                                                                                              

===>>> Update for lang/mono failed                                                                                                  
===>>> Aborting update    

When I checked Freshports, it looks like automake-wrapper has been removed from automake, so I tried removing that (cd /usr/ports/devel/automake-wrapper && make deinstall) and then installing automake.

Mono then updated to 5.10 without any issues.  Looking forward to the improvements it potentially brings to emby :D

• Like 1