where do you get your theme videos?

perry59
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Some movies have actual menu background videos. Those are where most are coming from. Unfortunately not every movie / tv show has them so you just have to settle for something else or not have them in that item.

• Solution

those that you mentioned, do they come from IMBD or TVDB?

They come from discs that you own.

• Like 1

Ok, thanks ebr.

I've ripped quite a few discs but never saw any VOB's that corresponded to that.

I'll look a little closer

As far as I can tell no DVDs have background videos. They use an older method where it is just like a collection of images. Some blu-rays still use that method and don't have the cool looking background videos. It is just hit and miss. Most are under 2 minutes long.

• Like 1

CWNashvegas

Actually, some DVDs do have video menus. I was able to get one from Millenium (tv series). When they exist, the video is often attached to the first "chunk" - in the case of Millenium, it also contains the first episode but doesn't appear that way to a ripper or player.

Perry - google VobBlanker and PgcEdit. There's a learning curve, so don't expect it to be a simple process. You'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about DVD structure (and how it looks little like you would expect).

Barring that, I find that often, opening credits have some good footage (especially for tv shows), or you can use the trailer or random footage from the film. I tend to use a static backdrop and create an animated mask as a video window to play the chosen footage. I use After Effects for that, but something simple works too. 

• Like 1

Actually, some DVDs do have video menus. I was able to get one from Millenium (tv series). When they exist, the video is often attached to the first "chunk" - in the case of Millenium, it also contains the first episode but doesn't appear that way to a ripper or player.

Ah that is cool. Though I'm guessing they are pretty rare on DVDs. Best way to get them is to not mess with VOBs, etc., but just use MakeMKV and look for videos that are below 2 minutes. Look through them all and you can sometimes find them.

CWNashvegas

Ah that is cool. Though I'm guessing they are pretty rare on DVDs. Best way to get them is to not mess with VOBs, etc., but just use MakeMKV and look for videos that are below 2 minutes. Look through them all and you can sometimes find them.

They do seem to be pretty rare, and that's the kicker - when they do exist (at least the ones I've found), they don't show up as video titles to MakeMKV, etc. They're like a hidden part of another title. Grabbing the short videos will get the static "loop" that shows after the video part of the menu plays. 

I was nearly pulling my hair out with Millenium because I could see the video watching it in the player, but it was only addressed like any other menu, and was invisible to me in any ripper until I explored it with the other tools. Once I figured it out and got the video, I felt like I'd scaled a mountain. :D

Thanks for the tips all :)

I have done some dvd authoring in the past so I know how convoluted pgc's can get!

sounds like more trouble than its worth. If I really want video backdrops I'll probably just make something by editing a trailer or something.