Streaming Tests

Luke

Mark and Scott,

When you have a chance can you do some audio and video testing on your respective platforms, and report back. I want to gauge where we are. Do a quick test with each of the quality settings and make sure they can play.

No hls yet, just regular streaming. Thanks.

Redshirt

I'm still working out what I'm going to do to test it. My ISP provided modem/router combo doesn't have working port-forwarding.

ScottIsAFool

Can you not test it on your local network then (wifi)? You shouldn't need port forwarding for that.

ScottIsAFool

Ok, just checked it out on the phone (WP), default streaming quality is fine, perfectly watchable. Set it to highest, and man it looks nice ;) Very good work Luke and Tikuf.

Redshirt

Scott. Were you using Quality 5 over your wireless lan, or over 4G/3G?

Redshirt

Well I got port forwarding setup and started testing the different qualities below 5.

Server Speedtest

2250985260.png

Phone Speedtest (4G)

271245792.png

As it turns out, my home internet connection isn't able to sustain streaming an SD tv show at any quality setting above Q1. I believe we're going to need to take everything below Q5 back to the drawing board. Tikuf and I have already worked on this a little bit and found that limiting the framerate to 15 and adjusting the stream size stops the pausing.

-r 15 -g 120 -cpu-used 0 -lag-in-frames 16 -deadline realtime -slices 4 -vprofile 0 -b:v .25M

The above setting was pausing at -r 20, so I'll try to determine where between 15 and 20 it fails.

Redshirt

I can play the video I was testing above which is 512x384 and any of my HD sources over wifi at Q5 no problem.

I'm not going to enforce framerate within the quality settings, but I did just check in a change that adds it as a param. It's maxframerate on the query string. See api client for an example.

ScottIsAFool

I did standard quality and higher quality (i'm assuming that's 5). And yes, both over wifi. Haven't tried it over 3g yet.