swhitmore

swhitmore

Just wondering if anyone is getting one of these. I'm planning on importing one from the US when they get back in stock. From what I've read, they seem very impressive for a first gen device.

I'm hoping they open the API to 3rd party devs. A Media Browser remote app would be awesome. Play/Pause/Skip and maybe even some voice control!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEvjulEJH9w

techywarrior

We checked it out at our local MS store last weekend and it was pretty solid. The width of the display/fixed part of the Band is too wide for my GF but I found it to be relatively comfortable to wear. I'm not in the market for a fitness band but if I was I'd definitely consider it.

ScottIsAFool

As soon as they're back in stock, my friend in San Francisco is getting me one and sending it over to me :)

• Like 1

swhitmore

Yeah, I have a friend in New York who is trying to hook me up. His partner is at the Microsoft campus this weekend. She is hoping to pick one up there.

swhitmore

It seems as though there was very limited availability. I heard it was to keep the announcement on the down low.

techywarrior

Yea, I heard the same thing. It's gotten a really good reception so far so I wonder if they are ramping up production or if they are going to keep it limited since they are licensing the sensor suite to other manufacturers.

trooper11

So far, it looks like MS has hit on a popular device. My wife was eager to get one and its been working well for her. She isn't into the fitness stuff as much as how it interacts with her WP device thanks to Cortana support. Plus, she uses it to get notified of messages from her X1 friends and when they come online. I've been impressed with what is possible with this device.

Regarding third party app development, they made a statement a few days ago that they would be releasing a proper SDK soon to allow for 3rd party app development.

ScottIsAFool

Well, the local branch to my mate has just got some in, he will be collecting today :D so I should have mine next week sometime. 

• Like 1

swhitmore

My mate in the US just put a backorder down for me. Apparently these should be getting filled at the end of the week.

ecrispy

I'm mainly interested in this because of 24 hour heart rate monitoring. But a few things have me concerned -

1. its not designed to fit counters of your wrist, and is designed to be worn with the display  facing down, so you will keep bumping it all the time, e.g. when typing, and I'm not sure how durable that will be

2. the sleep monitoring isn't automatic - you have to tell it when you sleep/wake up. The Basis Peak can detect this automatically even though both have the same kind of sensors.

I'm rather impressed otherwise, it seems MS came out of nowhere with more features than the competitors at a lower price point.

trooper11

I'm mainly interested in this because of 24 hour heart rate monitoring. But a few things have me concerned -

1. its not designed to fit counters of your wrist, and is designed to be worn with the display  facing down, so you will keep bumping it all the time, e.g. when typing, and I'm not sure how durable that will be

2. the sleep monitoring isn't automatic - you have to tell it when you sleep/wake up. The Basis Peak can detect this automatically even though both have the same kind of sensors.

I'm rather impressed otherwise, it seems MS came out of nowhere with more features than the competitors at a lower price point.

About the sleep monitoring, MS did say that the are working to add automatic startup, so hopefully that comes soon.

swhitmore

Very jealous. I just received an email saying they will have limited stock available tonight. I'm hoping to score one.