Best CPU to stream maximum Live TV connections

Volta10

What kind of CPU specs recommended to stream several live tv tuners over the internet?  Right now, I can only stream 1 stable, once I get 2 or more the CPU overloads.  My connection speed can support multiple connections.

Cheesegeezer

@@Volta10 What do you have at the moment.

I would probably suggest an i7 4770 and up, plus a minimum of 16GB Ram to allow for the buffering (1333Mhz will do)

You're talking a motherboard upgrade too, something with a solid chipset that can move this information around quickly Z87 Sabertooth or something along those lines.

Edited by Cheesegeezer

Cheesegeezer

I have an i5 with 16 gb RAM. 

What's the max connections do you think I can connect with your recommended specs?

I dont think its your hardware then. In Task Manager which application is using all the cpu?

Mediabrowser uses the most.  But the CPU usage only goes up to 40%, lower than I had expected.  I'm not sure why my connection stops after 2-3 live streaming connections then.  Can others chime in how many stable simultaneous connections your pc can handle?

krustyreturns

I just started 4 on my development machine 4770k.  I would have tried more but two recordings were happening at the same time (6 hdhr primes).  Which pvr backend are you using?

krustyreturns

I did notice something weird though, when I have two streams running, and I close one of them, MBS closes the other one too.

I use WMC as my pvr backend.  Do you recommend something else? 

It seems like 4470k is the best processor for the job? Have you tried to stream all 6 tuners at the same time? 

krustyreturns

I am not making hardware recommendations, you just asked what people use and what their results are, so these are mine.  I am starting these streams all on the same computer, just running opening multiple chrome tabs each playing a different channel (also same machine as mbs).  Like I said this is my development machine our main media computer for the family has much less power, I'll try that one later and let you know what I get.

I have only used wmc as the backend.

krustyreturns

I just tried 4 HD channels on my main media pc, its an old AMD quad core 9950 at 2.6GHz (black edition).  This pegged all four processors and the video did not play smoothly so the system was struggling, but interestingly no channels were stopped - which is your problem right?  Maybe your problem is due to something else.

I would try six channels like you requested so far there are have been two channel taken up for recordings (my kids record a lot of crap).

Thank you for checking it up for me.  I'm not sure why I can't stream more than 1 HD.  However, I'm able to stream 6 SD channels without any problem.

I'm glad you confirmed that it may not be the CPU processor, so I don't have to shell out top dollars for another PC.  My next step is do a fresh OS reinstall and see if this will fix it.