MBServer crashes too many times

heula

Each morning my pc restarts automaticly and the server should start up automaticly also.

Too many times MBClassic can't connect because the server is not running. It probabably crashes after satarting for whatever reason. Running the server as a service I can set it to restart when it crashes but with that I can't manual restart after an update from the webclient.

When will we be able to manually restart MBServer from the webclient when set as a service and what is causing the crash.

This is what was in the log from this morning after the pc restart. Little text so it crashed realle soon after startup up I guess.

The second log is when I started the server again manually.

2013-10-20 06:37:58.3860, Info, Main, Media Browser Server started
2013-10-20 06:37:58.4016, Info, Main, Command line: C:\Users\Server\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
2013-10-20 06:37:58.4016, Info, Main, Server: HOME-SERVER
2013-10-20 06:37:58.4016, Info, Main, Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
2013-10-20 06:37:58.4016, Info, Main, Program data path: C:\Users\Server\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server
2013-10-20 06:37:58.4016, Info, Main, Executable: C:\Users\Server\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
2013-10-20 06:38:10.9119, Error, Main, UnhandledException
	Cannot process request because the process (3772) has exited.
	System.InvalidOperationException
	   at System.Diagnostics.ProcessManager.OpenProcess(Int32 processId, Int32 access, Boolean throwIfExited)
	   at System.Diagnostics.NtProcessManager.GetModuleInfos(Int32 processId, Boolean firstModuleOnly)
	   at System.Diagnostics.NtProcessManager.GetFirstModuleInfo(Int32 processId)
	   at System.Diagnostics.Process.get_MainModule()
	   at MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.MainStartup.<>c__DisplayClass1.<IsAlreadyRunning>b__0(Process i)
	   at System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
	   at MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.MainStartup.IsAlreadyRunning(Process currentProcess)
	   at MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.MainStartup.Main()

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/901529/Media%20Browser/MB3/server%20crash%2020-10-2013.log

When starting up the server it takes a long time before MBClassic can connect again. Also the webclient has difficulty loading the plugin pages for example.

Server%20is%20still%20loading.jpg

Edited by heula

Are you delaying the startup of the server when set as a service?

I haven't set it asa service because then i'm not able to restart manually after an update. It starts the normal way for now till that will be able to do.

CBers

We had problems consistently restarting the service during initial testing which is why restarts are manual.

Do you run a library scan on startup?

If so, remove the startup task as it seems to slow things down a tad.

Why do you reboot every day.

Edited by CBers

We had problems consistently restarting the service during initial testing which is why restarts are manual.

Do you run a library scan on startup?

If so, remove the startup task as it seems to slow things down a tad.

Why do you reboot every day.

Yes that standard I thought.

Why every day, no special reason. Just a fresh start at the day.

Will begin with disabling the library scan at startup.

Very interesting.  It is throwing an OOM on the concatenation of what should be two very small strings...

Very interesting.  It is throwing an OOM on the concatenation of what should be two very small strings...

You have lost me now. No idea what this means.

This almost has to be data related and it looks like it is something in your music library.  Investigate the tags on your music and make sure something isn't really wonky there - like an embedded image tagged as an artist or something.

Well a quick test would be just remove your music from your collection :).  If the server becomes stable then you know it your music.

True but if that's the case then the the heavy works starts finding out where the fault is. I have a pretty large collection.

This almost has to be data related and it looks like it is something in your music library.  Investigate the tags on your music and make sure something isn't really wonky there - like an embedded image tagged as an artist or something.

That's going to be a lot a work I think but will check it out.

Logos302

Well a quick test would be just remove your music from your collection :).  If the server becomes stable then you know it your music.  

• 3 weeks later...

After removing my music collection from the database I thougt I was done with the server crashes but this morning it crashed again.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/901529/Media%20Browser/MB3/server-Crash%2017-11-2013%201.log

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/901529/Media%20Browser/MB3/server-Crash%2017-11-2013%202.log

try removing some plugins

I happened a few days after I installed the Nes and Snesbox plugins.

Will remove them since I'm not doing anything with it yet.

Edited by heula

If you really want to narrow it down, try putting music back on and them removing plugins one at a time. Remove one plugin, give it a day and see what happens. If nothing happens, then remove another.

If you really want to narrow it down, try putting music back on and them removing plugins one at a time. Remove one plugin, give it a day and see what happens. If nothing happens, then remove another.

Okay, will test this the coming week.

Since we are throwing an OOM inside our core logger functions, doesn't it point to a deeper issue?  Some plug-ins may somehow correlate to the issue but it seems the actual issue must be in the core (or the logging functionality we are using).

It's the last straw as you suggested. Even though the memory limit for a 32-bit process starts at 4GB, that number can lower due to various system conditions. And then there are other limits that are lower than that, such as limits to the size that any single collection can hold. So a short term spike can crash the server on some systems. I have a ticket on github about removing people from memory. That will dramatically reduce our memory usage. Just been putting off but i'll get to it soon.

I just wonder in what situation we could consume that much memory. My setup never gets anywhere close but I guess I have a small library and that may be the difference.

Deleted my music collection and had still this oom error. Deleted the snes and nesbox plugin and still had oom errors. Deleted the trailer plugin and for 5 days no oom error. Yesterday added my music collection again and constant oom errors again.

Ebr told me this oom error could be tag related with music but I don't know what to change because all my tags are displayed well in winamp.

For now no music and no trailer plugin to be oom error free.