Go to Items starting with <letter>

yaksplat

yaksplat

In a list of movies around 1000 long, I tried to hit a letter to go to items starting with that letter.  It wasn't implemented unfortunately.  Is this functionality on the roadmap?

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

I found this oldish post using the Search function and rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd piggyback here. I have the exact same request. With a large library it's pretty much impossible to use any media player that doesn't allow you to skip to a letter. 

Thanks for listening to the feedback!

Edited by spon

Luke's mentioned this in the main MBT thread. It is in the roadmap, although I'm not 100% sure the classic keyboard search will be implemented, as he would like to keep everything simple for users that rely on a remote, and not a keyboard. There was talk of an on-screen search function I believe. Although, I'd also like the classic keyboard search to be brought back, as well as triple-tap on the remote :)

• Like 1

Dempsey

I'm really looking forward to this. I imagine it's really holding a lot of people back from comfortably using this great client.

foghat

I'm really looking forward to this. I imagine it's really holding a lot of people back from comfortably using this great client.

I agree. I am using it right now as I have a manageable amount of 'unwatched' movies and only a couple hand fulls of tv seasons.  For wife and kids though, who may want to watch anything in the collection, well, i am keeping them on plex for now.

A8HTPC

At least maybe have a side or top menu listing letters A through Z and you can highlight with either the keyboard or remote control.

• 1 year later...
user29

i found this - how are you supposed to jump ahead with big movie collections (i have tried combinations of FF, up down and letters) with 500 movies it is cumbersome

thoughts?

gcoupe

i agree remotes have the #3 also be "def" #4would be "ghi".... should be like that. i know i classic it works

Exactly. This is the method implemented in Windows Media Center since 2004, and which Emby Classic presumably inherits from WMC. If Emby Theater is going to provide support of remotes, then I would hope that it will support MCE remotes and give us this navigation method. It's part of my muscle memory, and I miss it when I'm not using WMC...