Nokia Lumia 930 thoughts please

Cheesegeezer

Cheesegeezer

Thinking about getting one of these as a change from apple iphone.

I'm really looking for experiences from owners of this device and also the windows 8.1 operating system.

@@ScottIsAFool which one do you have?

techywarrior

I have the Nokia 920 and my GF has a Nokia 1020, my dad has a 1520 and my brother an HTC 8x. We all love WP8.1 and our phones. My mom and sister love their iPhones but only my mom tried a Windows phone. She went back because some coupon app or something wasn't on Windows Phone. lol

I haven't used a 930 since it's only available in the US on Verizon as the Nokia Icon but I've heard good things about the phone itself.

As for the OS, that I can talk about. I find it to be very responsive and easy to interact with. Since the 930 is high end the responsiveness on lower CPUs isn't really a distinguishing feature for you tho. I don't really use a lot of apps or games on my phone so the lack of true organization of the tiles into folders (since alleviated with 8.1's "folders") has never been an issue for me. Some apps are still not available but that's slowly become less of an issue, and hopefully with Win10 there will be even more incentive to write apps on both phone and desktop at the same time.

I'd recommend that you play with the interface and see if you like it. It's a pretty big change from the "old" style that iPhone has been using forever but it's not too hard to learn. You'd probably pickup the basics in 5 minutes but there is a lot of interesting things you can find when you start tinkering and looking thru all the settings.

• Like 1

I have the 920 for 2 years and alsways loved it, now with the Mobile 8.1 update, it is even better.. Cortana works well, the Glance screen, excellent Free navigation software(that does not need a data connection), excellent camera, Email, Contact, social media integration, battery live, it is just good and robust. Also, most major apps are now in the store. I see no reason to stick with a IPhone that has a out-dated-non-integrated-interface..

• Like 1

CBers

I've been playing with my niece and nephew's Nokia Lumia 935s this week on holiday and I'm impressed how good Windows phones are these days.

It only took a few minutes to figure out the UI.

The 930 seems to be available in the UK now and if you get one before December 31st, you can claim a wireless speaker and wireless charger, according to the Microsoft website.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

Cheesegeezer

Thanks for the info peeps, i dont think using the UI will be an issue and i've checked that my important apps are available.

@@CBers i cant find the 935 anywhere, did you mean 635?

I think i'll go and have a play with one in a shop when i get back on dry land and see what i think.

shaefurr

I love my icon, its quick, responsive and ive had zero issues with it. So happy I switched from android. This is my first windows phone so I can't compare it to any others, but I just love love love it. The only thing I don't like to so far compared to the androids I used in the past is there's no option to keep the screen on for longer than 5 minutes, which I like doing while I charge my phone in the car and play music. But thats with the OS not the phone.

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

Well.... After much research and watching a lot of youtube reviews i was sold... Took the plunge and ordered one just now!! :D

• Like 1

CBers

Thanks for the info peeps, i dont think using the UI will be an issue and i've checked that my important apps are available.

@@CBers i cant find the 935 anywhere, did you mean 635?

Yes sorry, the 635 - to much Portuguese wine & Port.

I believe Tesco have the 635 on a £12.50 a month price plan at the moment.

EDIT: Actually, they're Nokia 630s.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

Cheesegeezer

Yes sorry, the 635 - to much Portuguese wine & Port.

I believe Tesco have the 635 on a £12.50 a month price plan at the moment.

Still enjoying your holiday ;) yeah i just bought the 930. I'm actually really excited. Mostly looking forward to not being managed by apple and have some freedom back with a device.

But the wireless charging sounds like a very cool feature. And i think the missus might swing over once she sees my nice new shiney windows phone lol

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

Which apps are you using for media management?

Do you have a decent flight time tomorrow, its always a downer going home after a great holiday. But at least you had one, we cancelled ours this year because we ended up buying a house lol.

ScottIsAFool

@@Cheesegeezer I have the 930, it's a nice device. The only thing I don't really like about it is it doesn't support Glance (because of the type of screen it is). However, if you're coming from any other phone than another Lumia, you won't miss that as you never had it before.

Although @@techywarrior mentions the folders feature, I'm not sure if the 930 ships with 8.1 update 1 (where the folders feature comes in), if it doesn't you need to install the developer preview app which will then enable you to get the very latest (beta) version. Easy way to check for that, drop a tile onto another, if it doesn't create a folder, you don't have the version of 8.1 that lets you do it. Come back here and ping me or techy and we can tell you how to get the dev preview.

Also, once your 930 does arrive, PM me the microsoft account you're using on your phone and i'll hook you up with the MB beta ;)

• Like 1

ScottIsAFool

Hopefully the Windows phones are forward compatible with Windows X etc.

Any Windows Phone running WP8 or WP8.1 will be able to update to the new version when it comes out.

• Like 2

ScottIsAFool

But the wireless charging sounds like a very cool feature. And i think the missus might swing over once she sees my nice new shiney windows phone lol

Wireless charging is the nuts, I love it. I've been fortunate in that I have four wireless chargers (which I paid nothing for :D) so I have them all over the place. One of them is amazing and should be the one you get with the wireless pack MS are offering. It's a portable one, that itself can be charged wirelessly :)

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

@@ScottIsAFool great info and much appreciated for your comments. As for MS account i'll PM you now as its what all my M$ Apps are conected with, even VS2013. And thanks for hooking me up with the beta, i'm really looking forward to testing it out. I will have used Reds, Shiv's and yours now lol.

ScottIsAFool

@@ScottIsAFool great info and much appreciated for your comments. As for MS account i'll PM you now as its what all my M$ Apps are conected with, even VS2013. And thanks for hooking me up with the beta, i'm really looking forward to testing it out. I will have used Reds, Shiv's and yours now lol.

Ok, cool.

CBers

Which apps are you using for media management?

Mainly NZB stuff, plus Rob's nuVue app and a few others. There may be alternatives, so will need to check over the coming months.

Do you have a decent flight time tomorrow, its always a downer going home after a great holiday. But at least you had one, we cancelled ours this year because we ended up buying a house lol.

Decent in the fact that we get another full day, but not so decent as it's at 8pm, so won't be home till around midnight.

Always a bummer going home, but we've been here 10 days, so time to go home and earn some pennies ready for the next one ;)

This was our first holiday for 18 months as we moved house at the beginning of this year.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

shaefurr

The Qi charging is awesome, I love how you can just throw your phone down and it starts charging, it even works through the plastic case I have on (Incipio feather). I picked up a few chargers off amazon for about $15 each.

It also doesn't have a micro SD slot, but with 32GB internal I don't think it needs it, I have mine loaded with tons of music, snes/nes/psx games and apps and i'm only using around half.

Cheesegeezer

The Qi charging is awesome, I love how you can just throw your phone down and it starts charging, it even works through the plastic case I have on (Incipio feather). I picked up a few chargers off amazon for about $15 each.

It also doesn't have a micro SD slot, but with 32GB internal I don't think it needs it, I have mine loaded with tons of music, snes/nes/psx games and apps and i'm only using around half.

Photos are always the thing that eats up the storage! My iphone is 32gb and i find that a good size for phone, apps, music and a movie or 2.

Cheesegeezer

I've got the 830 which I think I a slightly better form factor (thinner) it's not quite as high spec as 930 but it does have glance and double tap to wake

Had a 1020 & 635 previously.

Still prefer 4.5" tbh but all phones that size are poorly spec'd...

@@Cheesegeezer you might want to check this out...https://lumia930offer.co.uk/

Free wireless charger and speaker!

Cheers, i saw that when i ordered the phone ;)

• Like 1

shaefurr

Also sad to see Verizon retired the Icon already. Such a great phone, really wish they would have actually put some effort into selling them. When I bought mine I went into the store here and told them I specifically wanted the icon, and they rep was trying to get me to buy the LG Vista or G3. Why is it all these reps only want to promote Androids?

shaefurr

Photos are always the thing that eats up the storage! My iphone is 32gb and i find that a good size for phone, apps, music and a movie or 2.

I have my photos/videos setup to automatic upload to my onedrive, so once im on wifi they upload and I can erase them from my phone if I want. Still completely easy to access them since you just have to scroll over to albums and onedrive is right there to keep viewing them

Edited by shaefurr
  • Like 1

Cheesegeezer

Also sad to see Verizon retired the Icon already. Such a great phone, really wish they would have actually put some effort into selling them. When I bought mine I went into the store here and told them I specifically wanted the icon, and they rep was trying to get me to buy the LG Vista or G3. Why is it all these reps only want to promote Androids?

I really struggle with android phones, i have no idea why, i just dont like them. My Android Mini PC is the only android device i own and i only use that for Redshirts MB app, which is awesome. I need to hook it up and get the new update thinking about it lol