Help! How to setup outside network streaming to Android app

Zero_Kool
Go to solution Solved by Redshirt,

Zero_Kool

Please post a tutorial or link for setting up the android app to stream outside your local network. The app asks for the dhcp address of 192.xxx.x.xxx and I assume port forwarding on a home router for forward on that internal ip / port number or is it external ip / port number.

-Looking to stream over cell network to android phone but not sure the port forwarding and ip settings for the app and home router port forwarding basically.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

• Like 2

• Solution
Redshirt

In the Android app, you can enter either your routers external IP, or the fully qualified domain name if you are using a DNS service such as dydns.

A quick way to test if port forwarding is working is to just open a browser on the device and navigate to 

http://<your.external.ip.address>:8096/mediabrowser/dashboard/dashboard.html

If the page loads then you know the router is configured properly.

Edited by Redshirt
  • Like 1

Zero_Kool

Thank you for the quick replies and assistance. I will try that. I currently am running dd-wrt on my dlink dir 615 router. Please correct me if I am wrong but would the port forwarding be on the internal or external address for the port?

i.e.  (dhcp address 192.168.1.112/port) or (external ip/port) in the router configuration.

* I also wanted to confirm if the streaming works well over a cell network. 

swhitmore

The router will just be configured to forward the port to the local IP (192.168.1.122) or the DNS name of the PC, normally the computer's name. If you use an IP, you'll need to make sure it is static/fixed, otherwise when it changes, it won't work.

Now for the app settings. You'll probably want to use a dns service. I recommend No-IP. They have pretty good setup guides on their website, but basically it will allow you to configure a hostname rather than an external IP address (which will keep changing unless you have a static one with your ISP). You then enter the hostname into the app settings, rather than the IP address. There are plenty of guides online if you get stuck. Just google 'port forwarding' and 'No-IP dns'.

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

crashkelly

The router will just be configured to forward the port to the local IP (192.168.1.122) or the DNS name of the PC, normally the computer's name. If you use an IP, you'll need to make sure it is static/fixed, otherwise when it changes, it won't work.

Now for the app settings. You'll probably want to use a dns service. I recommend No-IP. They have pretty good setup guides on their website, but basically it will allow you to configure a hostname rather than an external IP address (which will keep changing unless you have a static one with your ISP). You then enter the hostname into the app settings, rather than the IP address. There are plenty of guides online if you get stuck. Just google 'port forwarding' and 'No-IP dns'.

I have used no-ip for a variety of things, minecraft server, web sever, ...., and it works very well. As long as your router is setup correctly for port forwarding to MB3 the no-ip update client does not even have to be on the same machine as MB3.

Cheers

CBers

Q: How can I enable remote access to Media Browser 3 outside of my LAN ?

A: You need to port forward the two MB3 server ports (default 8096 & 8945) on your router to the PC running MB3 server. You may also need to open the ports in your firewall. Once that is done, you should be able to access the MB3 Server via the URL:

http://WAN_IP_ADDRESS:PORT/mediabrowser

...replacing WAN_IP_ADDRESS with your router's external IP address (as assigned by your ISP).

Optionally, you may wish to sign-up to a free DDNS service if you do not have a static ip through your ISP, or if you wish to have a easier-to-remember address.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/723-faqs

• Like 1

Good day,

Enable the port on the PC that running firewall is a must either for LAN or WAN, also consider to enable the option at the firewall for WAN, in windows firewall that = "Public" when enabling the port/s

My best

Zero_Kool

I have forwarded my ports on my router and I can connect and get the GUI for it on my cell phone but when I try to play something the it just spins and nothing plays? I forwarded both specific ports and went into my firewall to enable the local ports there too. Am I missing anything? Has anyone had any luck streaming over there cell network?

Edited by dj9691

jasonmcroy

I have forwarded my ports on my router and I can connect and get the GUI for it on my cell phone but when I try to play something the it just spins and nothing plays? I forwarded both specific ports and went into my firewall to enable the local ports there too. Am I missing anything? Has anyone had any luck streaming over there cell network?

I just set this up two days ago. I did the port forwarding via my router. That did not work by itself. I then signed up for a free account at no-ip.com as suggested above. I set up my account and obtained my web address for the account.

I then went back into the MB app on my phone and entered the no-ip address I had just created and it works perfectly now.

Zero_Kool

Thanks for the reply. I setup No-ip as well. My complaint is it seems really laggy.... especially over the cell connection. Wi-Fi is great but over a cell connection it really buffers for me. Any thoughts?

Redshirt

Have you made sure that your cellular bitrate setting is set to something that your cell network is able to provide? 

Zero_Kool

Thank you for the reply :)

I have set the bitrate on MB3 to the highest setting of 21mb/s and I have a 4G LTE phone. I have tested it and it appears to work once it buffers a bit but it's noticeably faster over WiFi. I have it working but was wondering if I should check any other setting's to speed up the initial buffering when launching the app outside my LAN over WAN. 

jasonmcroy

Thanks for the reply. I setup No-ip as well. My complaint is it seems really laggy.... especially over the cell connection. Wi-Fi is great but over a cell connection it really buffers for me. Any thoughts?

Not sure on this one. I didn't change any settings and mine seems to work fine as it is. It does take a little longer to initially buffer than when I am on my local network but I just assumed that's how it would be when going through a DNS service so I never even thought to check any settings. However, now that you mention it, I will play with this some tomorrow to see if it speeds anything up.

Redshirt

There's no way your cellular network can provide the bandwidth to sustain a 21mb/s stream. LAN is fine with a value that high. 

For Cellular I would suggest starting with 1.4mb/s and see how it goes. If it's able to play without pausing to buffer, then up your rate to 1.8 etc. If it has to buffer then lower the value. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
jamvids

My 4G connection (60 mb fastest test so far) would easily cope, but my 100 mb broadband has a max of about 5-6 mb up. That seems to be the bottleneck for me at the moment, though video still looks crisp even at around 2 - 3 mb setting on the android device. Maybe something else to check.