Plug-in request: Subtitle plug-in

yardameus

Cheesegeezer

I will have a hunt Cheeze. Its not something I have ever looked at or seen. Let me get back to you on that.

I'll save you the hassle @@Tikuf

the hash needs to be calculated for each video stream(reliability may be an issue), so I guess it maybe a case of testing and see what happens and how accurate the subtitle sources are and what hash is generated by the calculation.

mediainfo and ffprobe don't actually get the hash information for you.

Ya i was just about to post about the hash. It would also be very inaccurate if the movies had been reencoded at all.

On a side note the fps wont matter unless they are graphical subs  most sites offer text based srt, ass ssa .

Im not saying the plugin couldn't be done. I would just be a major work to get it as a 100% solution.

Soultaker

I've written an application that allowed me to manually grab subtitles about a year ago. You'd select the file, and it will come back with a list of possible subs and then you choose the one that you think u need. At that time it was very hit and miss and I didnt persue it further.

I can't imagine wanting to do the support for such an application as it's basically impossible. Such a shame because it would be really handy to have subtitles.

• Like 1

kreeturez

Yes, dynamic subtitle downloading is hit-or-miss.

The way the XBMC guys do it (which actually works well in practice) is that their subtitle addon downloads the first 'sync' subtitle (which I believe is the first subtitle matching the video name with the same length as the video). If it gets it wrong (which does happen), hitting the Subtitle button a second time pops up a window with search results from the subtitle provider. Pick the next one on the list and you're normally sorted.

The catch is that this pop-up window needs a front-end to achieve; so client-side support for the plugin would be required...

yardameus

I figured something like the MB2 subtitle plugin would suffice.  To work well, it would also need a client side plugin.  You search for a subtitle, it downloads the first one (like kreeturez was describing).  If it's not right, you click the subtitle button in the menu again, it asks if you want to "blacklist" the one you got first, and downloads the next.  Not very polished I guess, but worked a good percentage of the time for me.  I agree that doing anything more than that would be a lot of work to develop and support, and wouldn't be worth the effort for the little bit of value added.

• Like 2

I can tell you right now that will not work unless there is a timeshift and the only way that can happen is with human intervention which kind of defeats the purpose of an automated fetching system (sure it will get you a subtitle file) but without an external program to shift the subs in the actual file this will be a pita.

Can you please explain why you feel that way? I must be missing something. If the subtitle file has been synced for this particular video file (which is what the filename-match and hash-match try to accomplish), and in case of streaming the server side is the one holding the subs file, why do you feel there'll be a need for timeshift?

I figured something like the MB2 subtitle plugin would suffice.  To work well, it would also need a client side plugin.  You search for a subtitle, it downloads the first one (like kreeturez was describing).  If it's not right, you click the subtitle button in the menu again, it asks if you want to "blacklist" the one you got first, and downloads the next.  Not very polished I guess, but worked a good percentage of the time for me.  I agree that doing anything more than that would be a lot of work to develop and support, and wouldn't be worth the effort for the little bit of value added.

+1. That was my thought as well. It is not 100% and never will be; we should not seek 100% accuracy since (a) this is a hit-and-miss game and ( B) the st databases themselves are far from being 100% accurate - remember who feeds them. But the functionality of the MB2 plugin was "good enough" for most of us, and for me it was working well over 90% of the time, which is pretty good.

You sound way more suited to the job than we are! Why dont you pick this up? You already have a lot of knowledge on the workings of the subtitles.

I really wish I could allocate the time and resources to set up the environment, and do the coding and testing.

As I said, I'd love to serve as alpha.

Cheesegeezer

@@doron dont worry yourself, this is being discussed in the dev forum now.

Thing is we want to cater for a complete solution and not a half arsed attempt, otherwise there comes about a hundred feature requests which should have been there in the first place! You know how it is ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Most of my MKV movies have subtitles files (external). I can enable them for all movies or disable them completely. I would also love the ability to switch subtitles on or off.

If this has to be done at the MBS level, then I can create 2 users, one that has subtitles enabled, and one that doesn't, and just by switching profiles i can turn them on or off with the remote.

Right now I rip the movies with the subtitles, but if I don't have the subtitles, then I use MCM to download the subtitles.

• 2 weeks later...
lancelot

+1 for subs, one of the 1st search terms i put on your seachbox, unfortunatelly hoped that this already was created...Hope someone can do it with a similar way as XBMC works

• 2 weeks later...
chopperno5

+1 for me. This is a massive requirement in our house - I currently have to download everything manually, but would love to see an automated server plug-in, although it would be preferable if it could monitor both movies and tv series as we tend to require subs for both! Multi language support too please (english and german).

Edited by chopperno5

yardameus

Any word on Snazy's plugin?  Major issue/revamp or just some more tweaking before release?  Got me all excited.

Deihmos

i use couchpotato to organize my movie folders and it has an option to auto download the subs. It works well. 

• 2 weeks later...
ttgapers

Any update on the plugin that was pulled? In MB2 there was a similar plugin that worked well.

This is going to be very helpful. Although CP does it, it then requires an additional install again. No reason why MB3 shouldn't have the functionality natively via client(s) or plugin (preferred).

Cheers.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just for clarification, this request thread is for a Subtitle Fetcher, right? I would be down for a new fetcher that works in MCT. :D :D

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

The latest release of Emby Server (3.3), now features both OpenSubtitle downloading and SubDb subtitle downloading.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Addic7ed is now in the Emby plugin catalog. You'll need to configure your Addic7ed credentials in the plugin configuration. Enjoy.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
nRafinia

I can't really speak to which is better than any others.  There is also subscene.com.  I've had the best luck with opensubtitle.org.  I've only recently encountered subscene through the app Sublight.  Handy, but hit or miss on some subtitles and some uploaders have accounts that you have to have an account for, so that would be a pain.

Hi

Subscene

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/83501-new-plugin-subscene-subtitle/

• Like 1