Why So many MB3 Roku Clinets ?

Airbender

Airbender

Hello Guys

I was trying to troubleshoot my MB3 Roku Client and found out i have side loaded the MB3 Roku so i was not able to remove it

and could not find up to date copy of MB3 ROKU. as i browse roku chanel i found out so many MB3 Roku clinets incloding a paid verion

why so many of them ?

are are these offical MB3 ?

what is the diffrance ?

Thanks

544ff564aaa50_MB3Roku.png

Edited by Airbender

The first one is the official client supported by us.

The second is the old version that hasn't been updated in months and has basically been supplanted by the first one.

The last two are a light and paid version of a separate app developed by a 3rd party.

• Like 1

Airbender

Hello

well it is cool that a 3rd party is intersted in MB3 and they want to make some money on side as devlopers

it show that MB3 is huge program

Thanks for the answer

Its sorting by most popular. You can see in the layout which most people have downloaded for use.

The official client supported by the core team is the 1st pictured. This has core developer support. This client also would support the most server features, as near 100% of any can be.

The 2nd pictured is grant/tikuf version, which was before an official client became available. This version is no longer updated. There is no support, as features evolve in the server this client may crash.

Media centre was forked from grant/tikuf code. The light version 3rd pictured, and the full version 4th pictured which includes enhancements. This version is supported by a single developer. It is not 100% compliant with new server features. The light version appears similar to the official, but with a theme laid over it. The paid version adds graphical features, like rotating backgrounds. Better image support, and use of color/fonts/sizes in general, it just looks good. It is just slow with medium to large media collections. Not unusable slow, but enough that most screens have very noticeable delays and extended loading screens because of what is required to produce the display.

The choice is up to you as consumer which makes it onto your roku.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

FYI - the "3rd party" is also a very active developer out here in mostly the XBMB3C/Kodi arena.  So it isn't like it is just some random person ;).

jhoff80

Any chance of getting the second one that's not updated anymore removed?  I had to walk a parent through installing MB on their Roku, and the confusion between the two nearly identical looking versions made things slightly more difficult.

• Like 1

I think, this is out of their control as far as removing the initial version pushed to roku store. There were sour grapes that the official client and a for-pay version were forked from their code and offered at the roku store. gcw07/grant and tikuf quit the mediabrowser project entirely. They also stopped offering side-loadable nowtv zips, and updating their changes to git to discourage others doing the same to their codebase. So, knowing all this you can see how the chances of removal become near impossible.

To alleviate this, you notice now the official apps use "media browser for device" making it easier, but not foolproof, to install the correct application.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles