Client for Panasonic Smart TV´s

obibaer2110

obibaer2110

Hi all,

first of all thank you guys for this amazing program. I am using it already for a couple years and I am loving it!

I am running the server on a Windows PC and I am using the Android App on my Asus Tablet, which works perfectly so far.

I recently bough a new Panasonic Smart Viera TV and I was wondering if there are any plans in programming a Client for Panasonic TV´s? Or are there other ways to have the Browser Layout running on my TV?

I would really appreciate that.  :)  :)

Keep up the good work guys!

Sincerely,

Oli

• Like 1

If your new Viera is one of the new 2014 models you may checkout my recent posts here:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/9460-dlna-transcoding-to-panasonic-viera-not-working/?p=141565

I'm also currently "migrating" to a new Viera, and I think you will have to options:

1. Access MediaBrowser using the Viera's build-in DLNA client. The media browser DLNA server must be enabled in the server settings (at DLNA/Server). Then you can go to the Viera's APPS menu at start the "Media Server" app. Your MediaBrowser server should be listed there and you can access all your views. I find the GUI of the DLNA client not very comfortable, so if you have lots of movies you have to scroll down in long lists, but at the end at least you will be able to play the movies.

2. Use the DLNA PlayTo function from the MediaBrowser Android app or web client. In the app, you can select a PlayTo target by using one of the icons on the top right. Your Viera should show up there. Once it is selected, all "Play" actions will cause the files to be played to the TV instead of your Android device or a browser. This is currently the best option in my opinion, as you can take full advantage of the beautiful web client / Android app design and all of its features.

Unfortunately, both functions I mentioned above are currently not working out-of-the-box with the recent Viera models. In the linked thread above, I already posted some changes to the existing Viera profile of the MediaBrowser server that made it possible to at least use the Viera's internal DLNA client. Hopefully I can made some more research on that so the new Viera's may be directly supported.

I would also like to have a native app on the Viera for MediaBrowser access, but I think someone has to write an APP for that and publish it to the Panasonic app store.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

obibaer2110

Hi,

thank you for your quick responses. I was aware of the DLNA function and it worked fine so far, but thanks again for the infos.

For some reason I cannot select my TV as a "PlayTo" target - it is not shown in the selection list. Any ideas why?

I hope there will be an app someday for Panasonic TV´s, but I am glad the DLNA function is already working. It would be really nice to have the same layout as in WMC or similar to e.g. Netflix.

Is it not shown only at the Android client, or also in the web client? If even the web client is not showing any device at all, maybe the PlayTo is not enabled in the server preferences?

For the Android client I also have still issues with the PlayTo, currently the TV is also not shown there, but in the web client I can select it. Anyone knows if the Android app uses its own logic to discover the available targets? Or does it just get the information from the server?

When you are saying that DLNA was working fine for you, may I ask which Viera model you have? Mine is the TX-47AS654W, and for me most files were not playing without some adaptations to the default Panasonic Viera profile.

• 7 months later...
theoldlr

I recently looked into what's out there and what it might take for running emby on a Panasonic tv, and noticed that the Panasonic SDK will be changing to support Smart TV alliance specification 3 in the very near future.

What this spec truly means to a developer I can't say, but my understanding is that this specification is based on the idea of being able to "build once, run everywhere". I'm sure this is an over simplification, but thought there might be an emby app out there for a different brand of TV that also follows this specification already.

So I guess the purpose of this post is to bring to attention this change to the SDK that may simplify porting an existing app, and also to ask someone who knows more, "What does this spec bring to the table for Emby on a Panasonic TV". Info from Panasonic here: https://developer.vieraconnect.com

I know I would love to see the app and an sure others would too.

• 3 months later...
DruTheFu

If I could run an Emby client from my Panasonic Vierra VT50 vs the native DNLA, I would be one happy camper.  I'll keep my eyes posted with hopes that this could come to fruition...

Definitely, a native client for the Firefox OS based 2015 Panasonics would be a wonderful thing, although the playto functionality seems to work a lot better on these than on previous models and is getting me by at the moment.

• 2 months later...