American Dad - Overriding season numbers

mjb2000
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

AdrianW

I use Metabrowser to fetch metadata for my collection...

If you're using Metabrowser then you have an easy fix available to you - set up a filename mapping and it will automatically rename the files to match tvdb. I've been using this for at least a couple of years with American Dad and it works perfectly.

qxW8aUD.png

• Like 1

dimitrik

If you're using Metabrowser then you have an easy fix available to you - set up a filename mapping and it will automatically rename the files to match tvdb. I've been using this for at least a couple of years with American Dad and it works perfectly.

I'm not sure how this will help. I've no problems with downloading the right metadata and I don't understand how renaming will help, since Mediabrowser does not sort episodes by filename but by metadata content. 

So if the metadata content (.nfo / .xml files) for e.g. the 2nd episode of Farscape says 'DVD Episode' #2 and 'Aired Episode' #7, MB3 will display the episode as 7th, regardless of whether the filename is s01e02 or s01e07.

Could you please explain your point?

Edited by dimitrik

ginjaninja

I'm not sure how this will help. I've no problems with downloading the right metadata and I don't understand how renaming will help, since Mediabrowser does not sort episodes by filename but by metadata content. 

So if the metadata content (.nfo / .xml files) for e.g. the 2nd episode of Farscape says 'DVD Episode' #2 and 'Aired Episode' #7, MB3 will display the episode as 7th, regardless of whether the filename is s01e02 or s01e07.

at its simplest the point is for people whos filesnames of content in their auto organise folder (in particular the contents detected season number ) does not match TVDB.

AdrianW

It makes the filename match TVDb and therefore it will download the correct metadata.

But, after re-reading your post, it doesn't really apply in your case - but for the general "American Dad" situation it does.

dimitrik

It makes the filename match TVDb and therefore it will download the correct metadata.

But, after re-reading your post, it doesn't really apply in your case - but for the general "American Dad" situation it does.

No, you're right it makes some sense - the right filename will ensure the right metadata is downloaded (of course if one is using metabrowser, both renaming and metadata downloading are done simultaneously).

But regardless, Mediabrowser will sort the episodes in the wrong order, even though it will have the right details per episode.

Or am I missing something?

Edited by dimitrik

• 4 weeks later...
ginjaninja

Maybe an option to move overwritten episode files during autoorganise to a temp location suffixed by unique id/datetime would be a simpler halfway house. I only have 1 show for which risk of data loss is an issue...american dad..so a simple recovery failsafe is perhaps more development time appropriate..if the cases are small for everyone.

Edited by ginjaninja