[DEV]New Argus Provider

pünktchen

Is development still going on with this plugin?  I noticed that there has not been any posts since November 26th.  I use ArgusTV as it is the best solution for my situation.  I use it in combination with mediaportal TV server as recorder.  I noticed there is now a mediaportal plugin for Mediabrowser server and wondering if you can get with that Dev to see if there is a solution for the liveTV issue.  I love this plugin and works great for the recordings, and would love to see it also work for live TV.

Thank you Sven for all your hard work. :)

For the moment it's on a low level. The people behind Argus will introduce a http endpoint. Hopefully that will work.

I also saw that plugin, i will check it. Not sure if we can reuse some stuff..

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I see we caught the attention of the argus Dev on the argus forum there's hope yet :)

Edited by bluc

Sven

Yes indeed.

I asked him for a reaction in the topic. For the moment he is working hard on his new house....

But that's almost ready. So indeed some hope. :) :)

Yes, and maybe we will find someone who can help dot-i with that stuff :-D

Yes for sure, I have marginal tv signal and argus gives me the best picture quality of the tv servers I have tried really hope this gets going :)

• 1 month later...
Lurendrejer

I might be really really dim, but i'm new to emby - where would i find a download link for the argus plugin?

Kind regards, JH

Vidman

Yes you are really dim if you have read any of the posts before yours that mentions how development has stalled so there is no version to download;)

Edited by Vidman

• 2 months later...
piejanssens

So Argus TV offers a stream tsbuffer, but since this is in some kind of raw format that doesn't work well with FFmpeg's transcoding that needs to be transcoded before sending it to Emby's transcoder, is that correct?

HTTP endpoint in Argus could take ages...

Maybe ask for help in the FFmpeg team (IRC)?

Edited by piejanssens

piejanssens

can't do mpg. chrome doesn't support that. the output depends on what the client player asks for. 

server wmc has a middle-man approach where it modifies the stream on the fly, writes that output to a file and then gives that file to MBS. maybe you can use some of that.

If Argus tv had an HTTP endpoint with H.264 video would that work?

Cfr. http://www.live555.com/mediaServer/#http-live-streaming

Yeah it's indeed not the answer/solution we expected...  :(

I asked him if it was possible... He told me that it's possible, but it wil not ready in 2seconds....  :(

Can you give the specific requirements for the HTTP endpoint? (codec etc)

Edited by piejanssens

piejanssens

that would be ideal, yes.

That requires Argus to transcode the raw MPEG to H.264 internally (right?).

Most probable using FFmpeg and from what I've seen there is a problem in transcoding from the tsbuffer (MPEG) to webm.

Do you think that problem is only webm specific and will not occur with libx264?

piejanssens

I did some research...

But i don't know how to solve the issue...

The following is the bad video, like we know. I am watching the webm file with VLC

ffmpeg.exe -i "rtsp://192.168.1.101:554/stream3.0" -y "D:\Temp\Test.webm"

The following gives me a good video. I am watching the mpg file with VLC

ffmpeg.exe -i "rtsp://192.168.1.101:554/stream3.0" -y "D:\Temp\Test.mpg"

What about this?

$ ffmpeg -i test.ts -c:v copy -c:a copy -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc test.mp4

piejanssens

It seems argus is outputting a stream that cannot be easily fed into ffmpeg.

so unfortunately, either MBS needs to adapt to argus, or argus needs to output a stream that will be more compatible on a universal level. Since I am not going to do anything specific for Argus (or any other service) in the MBS core, there would have to be some benefit that will be applicable elsewhere.

I think if argus had an api to stream over http, that could be something we could try.

The stream from Argus is not something exotic, it's an MPEG-TS stream.

Argus is using Live555 for it's streaming part over RTSP. Live555 does not however support demuxing MPEG-TS, so the stream cannot be packaged into mp4 or webm and streamed from an HLS server. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think FFmpeg can as easily transcode from an RTSP stream as from an HLS stream. 

IMO we should continue investigating how we can correctly transcode the MPEG-TS within Emby as it might be a simple parameter that we are missing.

The stream fed into the RTSP server is the same MPEG-TS stream.  And if I'm not mistaken ffmpeg can transcode such an RTSP stream just fine, no?

When I first heard about the HTTP Live streaming possibility I kinda assumed that this was mostly a matter of changing the way the stream was transported to the client, and that actually transcoding it or not is a separate thing.  Now, I haven't read this while topic in detail, so my apologies if this was discussed before :)

piejanssens

We already tried that with the rtsp. But that was not stable...

Using RTSP as the input for transcoding was unstable (and thus RTSP cannot be used at all - whatever container/codecs) or having MPEG-TS as input was unstable?

Either way, that would be an issue to be checked with the FFmpeg team.

Using RTSP as the input for transcoding was unstable (and thus RTSP cannot be used at all - whatever container/codecs) or having MPEG-TS as input was unstable?

Either way, that would be an issue to be checked with the FFmpeg team.

Using the RTSP was unstable. (see also this post on the ffmpeg forum--> http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2228&e=0 )

We already tried that with the rtsp. But that was not stable...

Yes I remember and understand RTSP was unstable, but the stream itself was also MPEG-TS, transported over RTSP.  So do I misunderstand we can't use HTTP for streaming but stick to the same MPEG-TS stream?

You think the instability came from RTSP itself, or rather from the MPEG-TS stream?

Edited by dot-i

I wonder: software like MediaPortal and NextPVR also work with MPEG-TS, so how do their Emby plugins work?  MediaPortal even uses the same .tsbuffer format that ARGUS TV also uses.

pünktchen

I wonder: software like MediaPortal and NextPVR also work with MPEG-TS, so how do their Emby plugins work? MediaPortal even uses the same .tsbuffer format that ARGUS TV also uses.

The MediaPortal Emby plugin doesn't directly use the TVServer but MPExtended, a middleware that has its own TSreader and streamingserver.

pünktchen

@@Sven

Do you have a working Argus plugin for Emby? I wonder if streaming is still a problem.

In the past also with the MediaPortal plugin grabbing the direct stream wasn't possible.

But meanwhile it's not a problem anymore because something has changed with ffmpeg in Emby.