XboxOne playing the same file even though I try to play a different file.

jhoff80

I also want to pile on.  I am not experiencing the play one file and then some seconds later it plays a different one.  With mine it just selects the wrong file and plays it.  No matter what TV episode I select in that season, it always play the same file.  

I was trying to play MKV files.  I converted them to AVI files and all works well.  Just FYI.

Hi,

Got the Media Serveur update, seems to work properly now,

I made a couple of tries, it plays the right movie now, transcoding also seems to work properly.

still, I can't choose audio file and subtitle directly from XBox, but this is a problem for Microsoft.

I am looking forward to your app for XBox One ;)

Thanks a lot for the efforts

R.

• 2 weeks later...
jhoff80

Got the Media Serveur update, seems to work properly now,

Which update would that be?  Still having issues here.

chef

Hey guys!

Same thing happening through dnla here on Xbox one.

I can confirm that the media player is putting everything in a folder into a playlist.

Pressing right on the d-pad will cycle through the playlist.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
MaestroGarcia

Hi,

What update are you talking about that fixes this?

I took the latest update but no change? Or did you use a specific test patch?

I want this to work!

:)

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I recently started switching over to using the Xbox One as a replacement for my HTPC (now that I finally have the USB TV Tuner), and had been hitting the issue where the first video in the folder would play rather than the selected one. I'm using the current stable release (v3.0.5518.7). We've noted here that folders that contained only .mp4 videos were fine, but the folders that had only .mkv videos would have this issue.

I've just gotten around to looking through the server debug log, and noticed that it was failing to find a profile for the Xbox One.

Here's the headers being sent (they don't match the default Xbox One profile in Media Browser)

Headers: Cache-Control=no-cache,Connection=Close,Pragma=no-cache,Accept=text/xml, application/xml,Host=10.0.0.2:8096,User-Agent=Microsoft-Windows/6.2 UPnP/1.0 Microsoft-DLNA DLNADOC/1.50,FriendlyName.DLNA.ORG=XBOXONE

Even after removing everything except Friendly Name from the Identification section in a custom profile, it still wasn't detected. I ended up removing that too and adding a custom Http Headers condition, and the server is now detecting the profile.

FriendlyName.DLNA.ORG EQUALS XBOXONE

Not only that, but it playing starts correctly at the selected video in the folders that previously always started at the first in the folder (there's also no transcoding logs being created any longer, so it's purely streaming).

I might jump over to GitHub later tonight and take a look at the identification logic to see if I can put in a fix and submit a PR, but that should be a good workaround for everyone for now.

Edit: it looks like the HTTP Headers aren't being checked when trying to find the correct device profile; removing everything else is what's actually matching the conditions (because they all get skipped). So, this may end up meaning other profiles are detected incorrectly.

Edit 2: And this time it looks like setting just the Friendly Name identifier to XBOXONE is working (after restarting the server just to be sure) without giving false-positives for other devices. *shrugs*
I believe the Friendly Name that is used by the Xbox is whatever the system is named under the console settings, so this might be why so many people are having DLNA issues with MB and the Media Player app?

Edited by Sebbs
  • Like 1

lucasscheibe

This issue makes Media Browser/Emby pretty much useless for me. I can not watch anything I want to. I also can't make it work on my iPhone. Works on my wifes iPhone just fine. On mine it the movies or show acts like it is going to play but never does.

chef

Hi all,

I recently started switching over to using the Xbox One as a replacement for my HTPC (now that I finally have the USB TV Tuner), and had been hitting the issue where the first video in the folder would play rather than the selected one. I'm using the current stable release (v3.0.5518.7). We've noted here that folders that contained only .mp4 videos were fine, but the folders that had only .mkv videos would have this issue.

I've just gotten around to looking through the server debug log, and noticed that it was failing to find a profile for the Xbox One.

Here's the headers being sent (they don't match the default Xbox One profile in Media Browser)

Headers: Cache-Control=no-cache,Connection=Close,Pragma=no-cache,Accept=text/xml, application/xml,Host=10.0.0.2:8096,User-Agent=Microsoft-Windows/6.2 UPnP/1.0 Microsoft-DLNA DLNADOC/1.50,FriendlyName.DLNA.ORG=XBOXONE
Even after removing everything except Friendly Name from the Identification section in a custom profile, it still wasn't detected. I ended up removing that too and adding a custom Http Headers condition, and the server is now detecting the profile.
FriendlyName.DLNA.ORG EQUALS XBOXONE
Not only that, but it playing starts correctly at the selected video in the folders that previously always started at the first in the folder (there's also no transcoding logs being created any longer, so it's purely streaming).

I might jump over to GitHub later tonight and take a look at the identification logic to see if I can put in a fix and submit a PR, but that should be a good workaround for everyone for now.

Edit: it looks like the HTTP Headers aren't being checked when trying to find the correct device profile; removing everything else is what's actually matching the conditions (because they all get skipped). So, this may end up meaning other profiles are detected incorrectly.

Edit 2: And this time it looks like setting just the Friendly Name identifier to XBOXONE is working (after restarting the server just to be sure) without giving false-positives for other devices. *shrugs*

I believe the Friendly Name that is used by the Xbox is whatever the system is named under the console settings, so this might be why so many people are having DLNA issues with MB and the Media Player app?

Could you explain where you changed settings! If you have gotten to the bottom of this, I will be sooooo happy!

Where do you change the friendly name?

lucasscheibe

Could you explain where you changed settings! If you have gotten to the bottom of this, I will be sooooo happy!

You change it on the Xbox. Go to Settings - System - Name

Changing my Xbox name to XBOXONE didn't work for me.

Edited by lucasscheibe

chef

It wouldn't happen to be case sensitive would it?

The server is looking for: "XboxOne"

You make the change in your Media Browser Dashboard

On the side-menu, go to DLNA, then select the Profiles tab. Select your Xbox One profile, then expand Identification.

According to Luke, the top group of settings are used for Play To, and the Http Headers are used for browsing (ie. from the Media Player app).

So, first remove anything under Http Headers. Then click the + next to Http Headers, and use the following

Name: FriendlyName.DLNA.ORG

Value: whatever the name of your console in the Xbox's system settings is

Match type: Equals

I believe for Play To, you should just set Friendly Name to whatever your Xbox's name under system settings is (the value isn't case sensitive, so if your Xbox One is called XboxOne, then having XBOXONE in there will still match it).

• Like 1

chef

I just bought an Xbox One, and I'm experiencing the same issue as others described: I'll select a file, it will play for maybe 3 seconds. It then stops, and begins to play the first file in the folder. Meaning, if I'm browsing a TV season, and I select episode 8, it will play episode 8 for 3 seconds and then switch to episode 1. Sometimes it won't play at all, and will jump to a random video.

This happens when I use the Media Player app, which allows the Xbox to browse a DLNA server. It is similar to the way Windows allows me to browse the DLNA server. The Media Player app does not trigger the Xbox transcoding profile. Instead, it direct plays the video content, and if that video is incompatible with the Xbox, it switches to a video file that is compatible. Mediabrowser does not know that Media Player is attempting to play a file.

The Media Player app will only play these file formats: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/media-player-faq

If you have MKVs, they will only work if the container has the following audio/video: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/xbox-video/mkv-support

There is another DLNA playback method for Xbox One:

If you use the Mediabrowser web client and select the Xbox as the destination, the video opens in a different app: Xbox Video. It plays successfully and transcodes per the Xbox profile. I believe this is called "DLNA play to" (similar to Chromecast). In this case, Mediabrowser knows the destination device, and will use the associated profile to transcode to a compatible format. This method has two issues:

• The web client doesn't seem to be able to control the video after the playback has started
  • I can't figure out how to turn on subtitles. I assume they would have to be transcoded in. I'd prefer to turn them on with a film-by-film basis, not by changing the DLNA profile.
Anyways, I hope this helps, and maybe someone else with more experience can confirm my understanding...
Well I can now say that this post quoted here is of the utmost importance to people wanting to use Xbox one and emby.

At the same time it is also disappointing. Not because of anything emby is doing or how it is handling the DLNA (which is brilliantly). It is disappointing because Xbox video has no UI for emby.

So inorder to raise playback events in the server for Xbox one (and also what seems to be a flawless playback of transcoded MKV files/ no sudden shuttering) you have to use the "play to" option, which plays to Xbox video and not the media player :(

Media player has the UI:(

Now it would seem that you would have to have the emby web client pulled up on your phone as well as Smart Glass to throughly control Xbox one. Two separate apps.

It makes me wonder if M$ has done this on purpose.

To make things even more frustrating, m$ has not posted any kind of api for smart glass, which we could take advantage of for the emby "play to" remote.

Edited by chef

• 2 weeks later...

I am now doing my own Xbox One testing and will personally get DLNA perfected. In my initial testing with the Media Player app, to be honest just about everything is going quite well. I have not yet seen this issue but I will be testing pretty heavily and looking out for it.

A couple notes/assumptions:

- Both the xbox and media player app are fully updated

- Media player app is at default settings

- Emby server is at default settings with no modifications to any Dlna profiles

• Like 1

Please try this out on today's server release. I put in a number of Xbox One fixes and it's working very well for me.

I also put in some other improvements - some nice dynamic images, check marks for watched content, unwatched count indicators, and resume progress bars. For a Dlna interface, it's very pretty :)

• Like 4

chef

Yes this looks very pretty, I can finally check my play status.

I haven't yet tested the TV series, which would initially play from the beginning of the season no matter which episode was chooses (as reported earlier), that I am going to try next. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to work on Xbox one.

jhoff80

Fixed here as well.  I know there was also some speculation earlier about the "Console name" in the Xbox system settings affecting this, but it's working now both with the default name and if I change it.

It's a little amusing to me that this DLNA 'client' now looks nicer than the interface on my Roku. :D

Now if only Microsoft would let us show more than two rows at a time in their interface (not just media player, but games and apps too).

Edited by jhoff80

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Sp3kt3r

Hi everyone. I got an Xbox one and was testing the dlna playback and I think I'm having the issue you guys were having. Is it still under investigation. My issue is that if I use the web or phone to play back to Xbox one it works (direct streaming or some time transcoding depending on the movies)

If I use the xbox media player, I see my server but once the movie start I don't see anything on the server in term of transcoding. I can't tell if emby is direct streaming or transcoding.

Something probably normal is when I stream to Xbox one it use the Xbox movies & TV apps. If I want to connect from my server from the Xbox I need to use the Xbox media player apps.

Hi everyone. I got an Xbox one and was testing the dlna playback and I think I'm having the issue you guys were having. Is it still under investigation. My issue is that if I use the web or phone to play back to Xbox one it works (direct streaming or some time transcoding depending on the movies)

Sweet! Xbox one is awesome! But you may find it needs emby to transcode a lot of your media.

If I use the xbox media player, I see my server but once the movie start I don't see anything on the server in term of transcoding. I can't tell if emby is direct streaming or transcoding.

You should see "Emby" as an option beside all your home computers

Something probably normal is when I stream to Xbox one it use the Xbox movies & TV apps. If I want to connect from my server from the Xbox I need to use the Xbox media player apps.

This is expected behaviour :) Edited by chef

Sp3kt3r

Thx Chef but what do you mean by "You should see "Emby" as an option beside all your home computers"

I'm I was trying to explain is once the movie start.. Emby doesn't seem to do anything (I look through my task manager ) and no transcoding going on..

The transcoding only work if I push the movie from my phone to my xbox one but not if I use the xbox one and connect to my emby server through the Media Player.