Episode Name Change - designation 'Latest Content'

ginjaninja
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

ginjaninja

Version 3.0.5410.32765

for as long as i can remember, I use a script to name (and rename) episodes filenames identical to TVDB.

an example would be

S01E01 - Old episode name.mp4

S01E01 - New Episode Name.mp4

Ive recently noticed that existing episodes whos filenames change have started to be identified as new content.

Perhaps its related to the setting.

'Date Added Behaviour For New Content'

for me it makes sense that it is 'the date scanned into library'...

but should existing content (an episode for example), which was already scanned in and has just had its file name changed, be marked 'new'..?

movies are not marked new when their name changes...

Well, changing the name of something in the file system is effectively the same as deleting the old item and re-adding the new one.  So, if you have selected the new behavior for added dates, this would cause it to be seen as new.  If, instead, you go back to the file date, this will probably not happen to you.

ginjaninja

it may be a feature request.....but the fact that movies dont exhibit the same behaviour made me think it was an issue.

That would probably depend on exactly what you changed in relation to the movie because we identify them sometimes by the folder they are in as opposed to the actual movie file.

ginjaninja

changing either the filename or folder name of known/registered (to mb3 database) movie..does not make mb3 loose track of its metadata including date added..at least for me..maybe because i store move.xml on the file system.

i guess its a feature request, that existing content is not re-evaluated as added, if all that has happened is a change between one scan and next.

if content is removed long term, then garbage disposal would need to eventually remove the record from database and if the content were re-added later it would make sense to update the date added....but between scans date added shouldn't be changed ..i would have thought...

Edited by ginjaninja

• Solution

Yes, that would be because of the local xml.  With movies, there is a standard name so it will always find it.  But episode xml is stored according to the name of the file it is associated with so, again, changing that would lose track of that metadata.

The quick fix here is to go back to the old way of interpreting added dates.  Doing what you requested could get quite tricky so I'm not sure when we'll get around to it but I'm sure Luke will take it under advisement.

• Like 1