External subtitles

yardameus
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

yardameus

Is there an issue with anyone else showing external subtitles in the latest update?  They've worked nicely up until today when I updated.  They are there and recognized by MBT, but they don't show.  (Just how it was a while back before MBT supported external subs.)

I've definitely experienced the same. Since the latest update, certain files won't display subtitles. This applies to both internal subtitles and external srt subtitles. I couldn't figure out a consistent pattern for which types of files didn't display. I've also verified all the subtitle settings and lav splitter settings and they are the same as I had before, so the change is with MBT itself.

Here is a log of me playing a movie with internal muxed subtitles and turning them on as soon as I play the video file. The subtitles did not display in MBT. For this particular file, I tried external subtitles before merging them with the mkv and they also didn't work. The same file played in Windows Media Player displays the subtitles just fine whether internal or external.

MBT Version: 3.0.5410.33877

Server version: 3.0.5395.0

Thanks

theater-63550030395.txt

blade005

Is there an issue with anyone else showing external subtitles in the latest update?  They've worked nicely up until today when I updated.  They are there and recognized by MBT, but they don't show.  (Just how it was a while back before MBT supported external subs.)

yardameus,

You might want to check in SETTINGS in MBT to see how CONFIGURE SPLITTER is set up. I believe that recent MBT updates now include LAV filters internal to MBT and the internal player.  My issue since the latest update is that all of my files include embedded subtitles and I get an ERROR PROCESSING REQUEST message when trying to play any file with subtitles.  If I turn off enable subtitles in MBT settings, then everything plays, but no subtitle support.

blade005

I've definitely experienced the same. Since the latest update, certain files won't display subtitles. This applies to both internal subtitles and external srt subtitles. I couldn't figure out a consistent pattern for which types of files didn't display. I've also verified all the subtitle settings and lav splitter settings and they are the same as I had before, so the change is with MBT itself.

Here is a log of me playing a movie with internal muxed subtitles and turning them on as soon as I play the video file. The subtitles did not display in MBT. For this particular file, I tried external subtitles before merging them with the mkv and they also didn't work. The same file played in Windows Media Player displays the subtitles just fine whether internal or external.

MBT Version: 3.0.5410.33877

Server version: 3.0.5395.0

Thanks

That's better than me.  With the same MBT and MBS versions as you have, I can't get any file with internal (embedded) subtitles to play at all with ENABLE SUBTITLES turned on in MBT settings. The second I press PLAY I get an ERROR PROCESSING REQUEST message. If I go back into MBT settings and turn off ENABLE SUBTITLES, then the same files will play with no issue.

If I fall back to the MBT Version 3.0.5409 version, then I can have enable subtitles turned on and all files play without issue.

Edited by blade005

yardameus

For me, files playback fine, (mp4 usually with external) but no subs, no matter what I do with the settings in splitter.  

You should post a log if you can. You're getting a very clear error, so it will likely clearly show up in the log which will be helpful in resolving the issue. I too am having the same issue but my subtitles just don't show without an error message.

blade005 have you tried enabling madvr?

I find it I have madvr un ticked I ether get the same message as you or it starts to play and then just hangs at 0 seconds in, if I enable madvr the file plays fine.

The issue I have is that my pc plays up when madvr is enabled

blade005

blade005 have you tried enabling madvr?

I find it I have madvr un ticked I ether get the same message as you or it starts to play and then just hangs at 0 seconds in, if I enable madvr the file plays fine.

The issue I have is that my pc plays up when madvr is enabled

Jasoon,

I'll give that a shot, but I don't think my machine will handle Madvr very well.

I do find the same issue as you stated. If I have enable subtitles turned ON, I get the ERROR PROCESSING REQUEST message. If I turn enable subtitles OFF, the player comes up but the video hangs at 0 seconds.

This is only an issue with files that have embedded subtitles for me (MKV movies with embedded subtitles or WTV files recorded with WMC that contain subtitles). Any file that does not have subtitles will play just fine, regardless of the MBT version or how enable subtitles is set.  Last MBT Version that seemed to behave properly for me was 3.0.5409.

Thanks for the tip.

yep, the latest update broke external subtitles (srt) playback, they appear in the menu, but do not show up once selected.

Internal subtitles work fine.

Any chance to fix this sooner than later?

Thanks.

babgvant

Can someone outline the exact steps to reproduce this issue and a log file.

I looked at it a few days ago, and while I found an issue with clearing internal subs when selecting an external file, I was not able to reproduce subtitles just not working.

• Like 1

Thanks for looking in to this!

Server Version 3.0.5429.25781

MBT Version 3.0.5427.36363

​Starting MBT with subtitle enabled and splitter configured as default with "swe" as three letter in sub conf.

Swedsh is selected when playing but moviename.swe.srt is not shown.

vobsub is working.

logs attached

/tompa

server-63551497100.zip

babgvant

Different here too.

Client logs are in same zipped file.

Thanks!

/tompa

Sorry, I should have looked :)

babgvant

This may be an example of the bug that I just fixed. It looks like the internal sub is selected before the external one. Previously this wouldn't get cleared, and in most cases both subtitles would start rendering. Which showed would have been a race.

babgvant

Does not work in latest dev. version 3.0.5431.39698

/tompa

Can you be more specific? Does that mean that it is exhibiting the same behavior as before?

If so, can you try removing the subtitle settings in the splitter settings and see if that makes external subtitles work the way you expect?

Sorry, yes same behaviour as before.

Tried different settings and reinstalled MBT but nothing helps.

/tompa

edit: just for clarification, my subtitles are selectable but nothing happens when I chose it.

Edited by tompa

I can confirm that external srt subtitles are still NOT working in the latest MBT 3.0.5435.35761.

Some additional information:

1. A single external srt subtitle with an mkv file in the same folder.

2. There are No other subtitles (internal or external) 

3. The subtitle has the same name as the mkv file + .eng (i.e. tvshow.eng.srt)

4. The subtitle IS available in MBT menu.

5. Once selected (turns red), the subtitle is NOT shown.

6. The xy-VSFilter is NOT active once the subtitle is selected (it doesn't appear in the system tray).

7. madVR is rendering.

8. Internal subtitles in other files work properly.

If it helps, it seems to me that the Filter is not being called by MBT when selecting external srt subtitles.

Thanks for the hard work.

Regards.

Edited by canachi