godfa7h3r

ANSWERED MB 2.6.2 and Windows 8.1

godfa7h3r

Hi guys,

Love the new community layout. I'm a long time MediaBrowser user, but have found myself with some questions that I'm hoping to get some help with.

I'm still using MB 2.6.2 (not sure what we are calling this these days??). This runs on a Windows8 machine that was upgraded to Windows 8.1 yesterday. I only watch content on two Xbox 360s acting as extenders. For this reason, I haven't switched to MedaBrowser 3 since they aren't compatible. Unless I am misunderstanding something.

With the upgrade to 8.1, the Xbox 360s won't playback MKV files. MediaBrowser configurator also crashes on open and reports a version number of 0.0.0.0. I've seen this posted a couple times on the old and current forum, but I'm still lost here. Strangely, they will still playback standard definition content with wmv extensions.

I've tried uninstall/reinstall of MediaBrowser to no avail. I use the Divx tech preview to play MKVs as it seemed to work the best in my experiences which I've also uninstall/reinstalled. And I've been working all morning on rolling my PC back to Windows 8 instead of 8.1, but I'm finding that's just about impossible without a complete system wipe.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance 

• Like 1

ebr

Moving to legacy support.

MB 2.x won't be supported on 8.1.  You will need to upgrade.  You can still use your 360s as extenders in conjunction with MBC.  Many here still do that.

• Like 1

godfa7h3r

Moving to legacy support.

MB 2.x won't be supported on 8.1.  You will need to upgrade.  You can still use your 360s as extenders in conjunction with MBC.  Many here still do that.

Thank you EBR!! I knew I was misunderstanding something when it came to MBC and how it worked with extenders. All is well and good now! Now I can test out the Windows Phone and iOS apps too!

Thanks again!

jhoff80

First of all, MediaBrowser 2.6.2 isn't actually what's broken.  The Media Center plugin works fine.  It's just the service and configurator that are broken (and it almost seems like that is just because of unexpected version numbers, to be honest).  Also, it's my understanding that all streaming playback (of non-supported files, at least) to an extender is broken currently in 8.1, even on MB3 / MBC.

Anyway, I figured the answer was just that 8.1 won't be supported and that there will be no compatibility update.  It's just disappointing since MB3 / MBC doesn't support one of the biggest features that I really need in order to use the product, which is custom entry points (ie entry points to specific folders).  I guess I'll be stuck on 8.0 indefinitely.

If anyone is curious though, this is the error loading Configurator:

sqtj47.png

Edited by jhoff80

ebr

You are correct.  It is a version problem.

While it would not be that hard to fix, we cannot continue to support that platform along with all the new stuff.  We need folks to move on if they want to continue with MB.

You should also know that the other under-pinnings (the web site and plug-in catalog) of MB 2.x could be going away in the not too distant future as we also cannot continue to pay for and maintain them.

jhoff80

Like I said, that's unfortunate, since MBC doesn't support a feature that is essential to me.

ebr

Well, that is unfortunate but that feature just doesn't work well at all.  Besides the fact that it has to be re-done with every update of the program, and that it only works for people who use other software to hack their WMC environment making it extremely advanced and difficult to support, direct entry points don't really make any sense in the world of user profiles.

So, yes, unfortunately, that feature will probably not come back.  However, the world of other advantages to MB3 over MB2 is very large so I hope you reconsider how essential that feature is to you.

vletroye
MS MediaCenter libraries version is now 6.3.0.0 within Windows 8.1

Simply edit the config files "Configurator.exe.config" and "MediaBrowserService.exe.config" located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaBrowser"

Search 6.2.0.0 and replace with 6.3.0.0 (using Notepad++ run as administrator)

It works for me... both for the service and the configurator ;)

V.

Edited by vletroye
  • Like 1

ebr

I did not enable BindingRedirect in Registry as mentioned (I didn't have to do it!) but simply edit the config files "Configurator.exe.config" and "MediaBrowserService.exe.config" located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaBrowser"

V.

Yes, that should be just about all that is required.

However, I still recommend upgrading to MB3.  As stated above, the MB2 infrastructure is living on borrowed time.

vletroye

When I tried the release candidate (or beta) of MB3, it was not running on my HTPC as I did replace the windows shell with MCE.

But I read that in the final release the server part runs as a true windows service... So I will possibly give it a try again.

That being said, I want to continue with MB2 as long as possibly on my various PC.

I use it to update the metadata of my movies on my NAS (a Synology).

I don't have any machine running 24/7

V.

Luke

The problem is that will break sooner or later due to api changes from metadata providers. Even if it doesn't break it's already out of date because it's not getting the newer (and better) images that are available.

gcw07

I use it to update the metadata of my movies on my NAS (a Synology).

The metadata provider built into MB3 is a thousand times better then the one that was in MB2. It does a much better job of matching and fetching items and artwork. A lot of people have now stopped using external fetchers and just use the built in one now.

Malickfan86

I just started using MB 2.6.2 again after updating to Windows 8.1. To be honest, I'm disappointed that this version is no longer supported while its successor, MB3, is still in beta. I was waiting until a proper release was made available before updating.

Anyway, it seems to make sense now. I can't launch the MB Service and the configurator is not connecting with my media. I made the modifications vletroye suggested and now both programs launch. I don't mind updating to the new version as long as all of my plug-ins and customizations remain. I am using Diamond theme with four plug-ins: MB Trailers, CoverArt, MediaInfo Provider, and Trakt. I have also installed the Backdrops SS but haven't seen it activated.

How will MB3 benefit me, considering my setup? I've given up on my Xbox 360 as an extender since the connection drops constantly. Therefore I have to manually wire my laptop in. The blue border is my only gripe with 2.6.2. I realize I'm not utilizing the cutting-edge features of MB like MB TV, but honestly I'm not that interested, though I do admire the fine work of the developers. I am also not interested in built-in metadata fetching as I'm extremely particular and therefore use MetaBrowser.2.0.

If the upgrade can solve this problem, then I'll do it right away:

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permalinks/14894/mb-2-6-2-diamond-with-blue-borders-on-tv-when-plugged-in-to-laptop

Malickfan86

Copy and pasted with some clarifications:

I’ve already found the blue border guide but my problem seems to be a little different.

I’m using Diamond theme and on my computer MB looks perfect. Plugged into my TV via HDMI, not so much. I know this isn’t the optimal set-up, but I always have issues with wireless configs. Say I have the WMC options set on built-in display, then MB will look good on my laptop screen. If I plug my laptop to my TV via HDMI, then borders are cut off. I ran the WMC setup wizard again and set it to flat panel, which resulted in a smaller size for the window (meaning the close button is like half an inch from the corner of the screen). It looks natural in WMC with a blue border.

In MB, I have the background set to black rather than blue. When navigating, the menus look fine. Once I click on an actual media item, the gray border actually becomes blue and so of course it really stands out. The actual video size is correct.

So, is there any way to get rid of it? I would still like MB to look good on both my laptop screen and my TV with one setting. I would be fine with a gray rather than blue border on the display for a specific media item if the problem itself cannot be fixed. I just worry that adjustments to the registry won’t work for my specific non-extender setup of MB.

Some additional notes that may help:

• My laptop’s native resolution is 1366x768 and my TV is set to 1920x1080p 60Hz on my laptop
  • When my computer is plugged in, the taskbar is cut off – it looks like WMC on my TV before I re-calibrated it as a flat panel
  • My TV is a Panasonic plasma from 2008 – it is set to “FULL” aspect ratio, but all the other options (H-FILL, JUST, 4:3, ZOOM) are much worse

mercalia

Simply edit the config files "Configurator.exe.config" and "MediaBrowserService.exe.config" located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaBrowser"

V.

hmm  cannt do the mod for 2.6.2 on win 8.1 32 bit.  I dont seem to have those config files. Dont have the "Program Files (x86)" folder either as using 32 bit win 8.1  No config files at all  in the normal Programs folder  for mediabrowser either.   tried to run  all and no config files created

so where are they or only for 64 bit??

Edited by mercalia

mercalia

ah thanks for that. works now. didnt even have to change anything other than rename the fle, no need to do a search and replace.

I dont use any of the plugins ( other than for podcasts ) and get another program to make the metadata,

I dont need separate service and viewer, this old version is good to go for the forseeable future. Nice and simple. happy xmas every one

Edited by mercalia

vletroye

On Windows x86, the files are under "C:\Program Files\MediaBrowser\" instead of "C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaBrowser\" (this folder only exists on Windows x64)

NB.: as one used to be able to configure the installation path, the exe can be somewhere else. On one of my PC, it's under C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaBrowser\MediaBrowser\"

Look for "MediaBrowserService.exe" on your PC to find the exact location,

As requested to me by someone on MediaBrowser.tv, here are those files, updated to run on Win 8.1:

They are also attached to this post (rename them to remove the extension ".txt")

NB.: I had to quickly re-install MB 2.6.2 to write and test those files.. If any you have any issue, try to contact me via MP.

And here is the content if by any chance the links above or the attachments die...

Configurator.exe.config

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
  <startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
    <supportedRuntime version="v4.0"/>
    <supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/>
  </startup>

<runtime>
    <assemblyBinding
    xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.MediaCenter" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
        <bindingRedirect oldVersion="6.0.3000.0" newVersion="6.3.0.0" />
        <bindingRedirect oldVersion="6.0.3100.0" newVersion="6.3.0.0" />
        <bindingRedirect oldVersion="6.0.6000.0" newVersion="6.3.0.0" />
        <bindingRedirect oldVersion="6.1.0.0" newVersion="6.3.0.0" />
      </dependentAssembly>
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
      </dependentAssembly>
    </assemblyBinding>
  </runtime>
</configuration>

MediaBrowserService.exe.config

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
  <startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
    <supportedRuntime version="v4.0"/>
    <supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/>
  </startup>

<runtime>
    <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.MediaCenter" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
      </dependentAssembly>
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
      </dependentAssembly>
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="ehRecObj" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
      </dependentAssembly>
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="ehShell" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
      </dependentAssembly>
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.MediaCenter.Shell" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
      </dependentAssembly>
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="mcstore" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
      </dependentAssembly>
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="mcstoredb" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
      </dependentAssembly>
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="ehiExtens" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
      </dependentAssembly>
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="BDATunePIA" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
      </dependentAssembly>
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="mcstore" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
      </dependentAssembly>
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="mcstoredb" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
      </dependentAssembly>
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="mcepg" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
      </dependentAssembly>
      <dependentAssembly>
        <assemblyIdentity name="ehiProxy" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral" />
      </dependentAssembly>
    </assemblyBinding>
  </runtime>
</configuration>

Any developer will tell me this can be simplified a bit, but I am too lazy tonight :/

Configurator.exe.config.txt

MediaBrowserService.exe.config.txt

Edited by vletroye
  • Like 2

mamikel

thanks for posting this stuff vletroye.  I'm puzzled because my media center versions appear to be 10.0.10134.0 (if I right click on the dlls and view the details tab).  Am looking at the wrong thing?  I really just want to configure MPC-HC as an external player but am not getting very far :)  Would I just use the version I have rather than 6.3.0.0 or is the version more obscure?

abuthemagician

thanks for posting this stuff vletroye.  I'm puzzled because my media center versions appear to be 10.0.10134.0 (if I right click on the dlls and view the details tab).  Am looking at the wrong thing?  I really just want to configure MPC-HC as an external player but am not getting very far :)  Would I just use the version I have rather than 6.3.0.0 or is the version more obscure?

If you are running WMC on windows 10 like me, just change it to 10.0.0.0 instead. This works fine. Also you can look at C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe.config under 

<bindingRedirect
oldVersion="6.0.3000.0"
newVersion="10.0.0.0"
/>

for the new version number  :)