PyGTK Status Icon

jose

I wanted to be able to control my server from my windows VM and the linux host with a simple status icon like the one offered for the windows version. I created one that is able to communicate with the a linux machine remotely or locally. For now this python program is able to restart , start and stop the service under which Media Browser Server is running, Restart and Shutdown the actual host of the service , display and open the logs of Media Browser Server and open the main and setting pages. it has a simple config file in which you can add simple custom commands and this commands will be added to the status icon. For the momment it is very rough but works for me. For ti to run you need to have the python modules paramiko and gtk and it runs on python 2.7 for now. You may also need to change the commands to start restart and stop the service as i put the ones i am using at the moment. Id ont know if it will work on ubuntu as it uses gtk status icon which was replease by appindicator , it shouldn't be dificult to make it work with it to but as i dont use ubuntu at the moment and couldn't get appindicator for windows i didn;t put any effort into it . It should also be able to work on macs  but it may need ot adjusted. also in the future it should be possible to create an .exe for windows so you dont need to install python, gtk in you computer and work as a stand-alone i had some limited success creating the .exe .

The script is attached it has a sample config file the spur python module .

544cd29a738fa_logs.png544cd2b620e0a_trayIcon.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/52pdlk7socvgmpn/MBSERVERTRAY.zip?dl=0

New look with wxpython based on wxwidgets from what i understand it tries to achieve a native look using the os native renderers:

Screenshotfrom2014-11-02210440.png

Screenshotfrom2014-11-02210522.png

Edited by jose

Started using wxpython instead of pygtk, included it in the rpm release. working on adding remote support to control server from another machine and on creating an .exe for windows.

Usually major linux distribution include python and wxpython (the python module for the gui) so no dependancies there. For windows a .exe file can be created with py2exe that will include everything that is needed and for mac there exist a py2app to create binaries. I did change the looks from the first screenshot to behave the same way as the windows one, but am working on the option to change between the standard one and a custom one that will allow you to send other custom commands to your server.

Yea it's an interesting idea. I would like to redo the tray icon and separate it out to be a different executable from the server, just like you've done. And if we're going to take the time to do that, then obviously it has to work on every platform. So nice job, although as far as bringing it into the core, c# gtk would probably make more sense.