The problem of automatically playing the picture vertically when playi

After ios emby is upgraded to version 2.2.8, the movie will be automatically played vertically. Even if the mobile iPhone is placed horizontally, the video will still be played vertically. I think this logic is very bad. The version before 2.2.7 is automatic landscape playback.

embyserver.txt

After ios emby is upgraded to version 2.2.8, the movie will be automatically played vertically. Even if the mobile iPhone is placed horizontally, the video will still be played vertically. I think this logic is very bad,Only when the iPhone is unlocked vertically in the control center can emby play horizontally. The version before 2.2.7 is automatic landscape playback.

20 hours ago, 17732 said:

After ios emby is upgraded to version 2.2.8, the movie will be automatically played vertically. Even if the mobile iPhone is placed horizontally, the video will still be played vertically. I think this logic is very bad,Only when the iPhone is unlocked vertically in the control center can emby play horizontally. The version before 2.2.7 is automatic landscape playback.

Hi, doesn’t the Apple TV plus app behave the same way?

43 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, doesn’t the Apple TV plus app behave the same way?

😓Hi luke!!!I'm talking about this error on the iPhone client. Why did you tell me about appleTV?😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳

seanbuff
7 minutes ago, 17732 said:

😓Hi luke!!!I'm talking about this error on the iPhone client. Why did you tell me about appleTV?😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳

Luke is referring to the Apple TV "app" for the streaming service, not the Apple TV hardware device.

Just now, seanbuff said:

Luke is referring to the Apple TV "app" for the streaming service, not the Apple TV hardware device.

Is the logic that iPhone plays video vertically correct? Hahahaha, is it comfortable to watch movies in landscape mode with your mobile phone? I think it's strange that it defaults to portrait and is locked.

emby-noob

Seconding this functionality, whether via a Full Screen button like the Netflix app has, or maybe a master 'Play in Landscape' option in the Playback settings, would that be possible? I typically lock my phone's rotation so it doesn't go landscape, so I have to turn it off, then rotate the phone and hope the pitch is right that the video rotates. And then if I move it back or have to stand up or whatnot it jumps back and forth.

I don't ever watch the Apple TV app on my phone so I didn't even realize it was there, but not a great decision on Apple's part IMO.

1 minute ago, emby-noob said:

Seconding this functionality, whether via a Full Screen button like the Netflix app has, or maybe a master 'Play in Landscape' option in the Playback settings, would that be possible? I typically lock my phone's rotation so it doesn't go landscape, so I have to turn it off, then rotate the phone and hope the pitch is right that the video rotates. And then if I move it back or have to stand up or whatnot it jumps back and forth.

I don't ever watch the Apple TV app on my phone so I didn't even realize it was there, but not a great decision on Apple's part IMO.

I think this playback logic is wrong, but the developer thinks it is correct.😂

emby-noob

I've found Luke to be perfectly reasonable and easy to message back and forth with. He literally just asked if the Apple TV app behaves this way with the vertical video, and it does.

Edited by emby-noob

My English is not good, maybe I didn't understand what he meant, so it's strange.😆😆😆。If you can communicate with him, you can explain to him.

seanbuff

The same implementation works fine on Android devices, even with rotation-lock on as most people have. As soon as you tilt the device into landscape it will rotate.

So the issue seems exclusive to iOS devices and @Lukemay have to find an alternate solution.

emby-noob

Previously I didn't even need to rotate it, it always went to Landscape. Having to rotate but having it work without toggling the screen lock would also work, although sometimes if the phone's tilted at a shallow angle it doesn't register, so a default option would be ideal if it's something that Luke's able to account for.

Either way, this aside the app is feeling cleaner and snappier over the last couple of updates which has been nice!

Just now, seanbuff said:

The same implementation works fine on Android devices, even with rotation-lock on as most people have. As soon as you tilt the device into landscape it will rotate.

So the issue seems exclusive to iOS devices and @Lukemay have to find an alternate solution.

Android emby, click the lock icon in the lower right corner of the screen, and then click Cancel. This horizontal screen will also be invalid.

seanbuff
3 minutes ago, 17732 said:

Android emby, click the lock icon in the lower right corner of the screen, and then click Cancel. This horizontal screen will also be invalid.

Interesting, that's not something I'd ever tried before. Locking the screen is not something I tend to use, but agree that if you 'unlock' it - it should then allow you to rotate again.

But that's a different issue, and not what you originally reported correct?

emby-noob

Correct, I have to remove the rotation lock to rotate it.

Historically it was always locked, but as soon as I hit play whatever video I was watching would automatically rotate to landscape and play, which was perfect.

This new version it plays vertically to line up with my phone, and I have to turn off the lock to rotate it to look the way I want.

I think 17732 and I are looking for a way to make landscape viewing the default, whether by a screenlock option override, or a dedicated option in the app itself.

Edited by emby-noob

1 minute ago, seanbuff said:

Interesting, that's not something I'd ever tried before. Locking the screen is not something I tend to use, but agree that if you 'unlock' it - it should then allow you to rotate again.

But that's a different issue, and not what you originally reported correct?

I can accept the bug of Android rotating screen.😅,But I can't accept the bug that Apple's mobile phone rotates the screen.

seanbuff
4 minutes ago, emby-noob said:

Correct, I have to remove the rotation lock to rotate it.

This is the problem. The app should be overriding the OS rotation-lock when playing a video only, but it doesn't seem to be working on iOS for whatever reason.

As I said, we'll have to wait for @Luketo chime in for comment. Thanks all.

• Agree 1

Just now, seanbuff said:

This is the problem. The app should be overriding the OS rotation-lock when playing a video only, but it doesn't seem to be working on iOS for whatever reason.

As I said, we'll have to wait for @Luketo chime in for comment. Thanks all.

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• 1 month later...

The next update to the Emby iOS app will have a new option to control the orientation behavior during video playback.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
sn0pzer
On 7/12/2023 at 10:54 PM, Luke said:

The next update to the Emby iOS app will have a new option to control the orientation behavior during video playback.

Hi Luke, will a similar option be made available to the Android app as well?

My use case is sometimes I like to watch series on my phone in bed while I'm falling asleep, and I will be laying on my side. This means that the phone will be oriented in portrait mode, while I want the content to remain in landscape mode.

I'd like to have an option to lock videos to landscape mode (by default), since all my videos are landscape anyways. For inspiration, Plex offers the same option in their video player.

Thanks!