Migrating between datastores and keeping the watched status.

JuJuJurassic

JuJuJurassic

Hi All,

Any advice you can give to make this go smoothly would be greatly appreciated.

I'm about to move from one SMB datastore to another one called exactly the same, just bigger. I'm moving all the files to a temporary SMB store, then back to the original server, with the same name, but with a larger data store for the library, as I am adding new disks. Fortunately, the last time I will do this is as the SMB server has all its bays full (for the movies, but TV still has 1 bay....)

In order for the movies to be listed in the same order as now, I've read through the question last time I asked on the forums, and was told "So you can copy the file whenever you like, emby will still use the 'Created' date in the emby library order." I'd like to double-check that a simple copy from the existing SMB share, to another SMB share, then back to the original server to a new SMB share, with the same name as the original, will keep the correct order of movies.

I'd also like to ask how I can ensure the Watched status is also retained. Where is this data stored? Can I copy the data off, and back after the files have been copied back to the "new" smb share?

At present, I have "Save artwork into media folders" Which isn't that reliable, as it took 3 days to download the media last time I did this. Does this now work better? I'm on 4.7.13.0.

Thank you for your help 🙂

JuJuJurassic

Thanks Luke, I did look at it, but I’m not sure how it fits in.

but what your hinting at is it should restore the watched state, thanks I’ll try it.

do you have any thoughts on how to retain  the movies metadata during the copies?

thanks

36 minutes ago, JuJuJurassic said:

do you have any thoughts on how to retain  the movies metadata during the copies?

Hi.  If you save the metadata in NFO files with them, then it will come along.

JuJuJurassic

So I'm restoring from backup to my main server, it only takes 4 days 😞  The files are the same, copied off, the copied back. I turned Emby off when I started the copy.

Which one of these scenarios do you think I should do;

Leave the emby server off, restore all the data, then turn it back on, and it will think nothing has happened.

Turn the server back on during the restoration, but it will rescan the library files and realise there are lots missing, it will then delete the missing file's metadata, and when it's copied the files over, restore the backup, but that's just watched state. it'll take 2 days to bring the metadata back.

Are there any other options that will save time in particular emby re-downloading the metadata, it's set to save in the media folders, not on the emby server.

Thanks for any suggestions.