Send http URL via IService Route to C# code - Is it possible?

mickle026

mickle026

Send http URL via IService Route to C# code - Is it possible?

in my JS

function SendRequest() {
                    console.log("Sending Request");
                    var e = document.getElementById("txtRequestData");
                    var RequestUrlString = e.value;

if (RequestUrlString.length > 0 && (RequestUrlString.toLowerCase().substring(0, 7) == "http://" || RequestUrlString.toLowerCase().substring(0, 8) == "https://" || RequestUrlString.toLowerCase().substring(0, 4) == "www."))
                    {
                        SaveRequestURL();

var nurl = "/ADM/SendRequest?Request=" + RequestUrlString ;

ApiClient.getJSON(ApiClient.getUrl(nurl)).then(response => {
                            var dat = response;
                            document.getElementById("replystatus").innerHTML = dat.Text;
                        }).catch(e => {
                            console.log(e);
                        });
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        reply = "Nothing to request! - Please type a valid URL.";
                        document.getElementById("replystatus").innerHTML = reply;
                    }
                };

In my C#

[Route("/ADM/SendRequest?Request=\"{RequestUrl}\"", "GET", Summary = "Send an URL Link as a Requset ")]
        public class ADMMetadataRequest : IReturn<object>
        {
            [ApiMember(Name = "RequestUrl", Description = "RequestUrl", IsRequired = true, DataType = "string", ParameterType = "path", Verb = "GET")]
            public string RequestUrl { get; set; }
            public string Text { get; set; }
        }

This c# code causes emby not to even load with an error

System.ArgumentException: System.ArgumentException: Route '/ADM/SendRequest?Request={RequestUrl}' on 'ADMMetadataProvider.ADMMetadataRequest' contains invalid chars. 

changing it because the ? makes it fail , to :

[Route("/ADM/SendRequest={RequestUrl}", "GET", Summary = "Send an URL Link as a Requset ")]

Changes the error to a browser not found 404 error.

It would appear that I cannot send in a http: address like this, of course i can save it to the config file, and then read it frm c#, but is it possible to receive one through the IService Route?

I can send it, just not receive it as Emby reports the Route as Not found, ie 404, is there a specific datatype for this?

Cheesegeezer
14 hours ago, Luke said:

Try removing the query string from the route definition.

Luke a question on this, is there a parameter type to hide the info from the server log. Currently any request via IService is logged, but if i wanted to pass an authToken, for example, and I didn’t want that info logged. Could i used something like

ParameterType=“hidden” 

cheers

20 hours ago, mickle026 said:

It would appear that I cannot send in a http: address like this

You need to use the javascript function encodeURI() for being able to send it as a URL parameter.

6 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Luke a question on this, is there a parameter type to hide the info from the server log. Currently any request via IService is logged, but if i wanted to pass an authToken, for example, and I didn’t want that info logged. Could i used something like

ParameterType=“hidden” 

cheers

Not currently, no, although I have thought in the past that route control over logging might be nice. But haven't had a chance to explore it yet.

6 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

ParameterType=“hidden” 

No, but you can use a POST request instead and send this as part of the post payload.

For requests you are making from within Emby server, there are APIs which allow you to mark parts of URLs you are making requests to as private.
Please see:

Emby SDK Reference: HttpRequestOptions.Sanitation

Emby SDK Reference: UrlSanitationOptions

Using these options allow you to mark only parts of a URL as sensitive. Whether these parts are visible or sanitized depends on the toggle switch when viewing log files.

Cheesegeezer
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Not currently, no, although I have thought in the past that route control over logging might be nice. But haven't had a chance to explore it yet.

1 hour ago, softworkz said:

No, but you can use a POST request instead and send this as part of the post payload.

For requests you are making from within Emby server, there are APIs which allow you to mark parts of URLs you are making requests to as private.
Please see:

Emby SDK Reference: HttpRequestOptions.Sanitation

Emby SDK Reference: UrlSanitationOptions

Using these options allow you to mark only parts of a URL as sensitive. Whether these parts are visible or sanitized depends on the toggle switch when viewing log files.

Love it guys, i will check up on this Softy. But the i think the links you set are backend and not part of the UI JS post. The server still logs the IService query, post, get, put, etc.

i am Probably so wrong on this, my js is absolutely shocking and it is a necessary evil for me. Just a frank lazy and wrong language. 

anyhoo let me check your links and i can decide tomorrow 👍👍

cheers and good night 😴 

6 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Love it guys, i will check up on this Softy. But the i think the links you set are backend and not part of the UI JS post. The server still logs the IService query, post, get, put, etc.

i am Probably so wrong on this, my js is absolutely shocking and it is a necessary evil for me. Just a frank lazy and wrong language. 

For a request from a js script to an IService endpoint: Use POST.

The links are for the case when your plugin C# code makes a request to some external endpoint. It's a different scenario, I just wanted to point out that such capabilities exist for outgoing requests.